Losing my Religion......

by flower 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• flower
    flower
    Perhaps we should be asking more what we can do for God and fellowman by our faith and example rather than expecting God to solve our problems
    I have never (even in zealous dub days) bought the idea that God will reach down and rescue me. Who am I , that such a One would favour me above others?

This kind of stuff pisses me off. Not pissed 'at' you Blues Bro but just at this whole idea. People who believe in God in the biblical christian sense talk out of both sides of their mouth and always assume things of non believers. I used to be the same way and now it pisses me off.

First of all, the fact of the matter is it doesnt matter how much I do for other people, how exemplary my life is, how much time I spend praising God and giving him glory, how much I try to show him my love and appreciation for his being God and how little time I spend praying for a 'personal' type blessing from God, the outcome is the same for someone like this as it is for someone who is selfish and never spends time trying to be a good Christian. The first person suffers in life just the same as the latter. So why am I spending so much time wondering if every decision I make in life is pleasing to God? I never did things I felt were right and good because I wanted something from God, despite the way my original post here came out. When I made a decision in life I did it because I wanted to please God because I loved him and felt like pleasing him was the most important thing in life. That is the Christian way of life...plain and simple.

But at the same time every Christian that I have gone to for advice or conversation about things when I am struggling has said the same thing to me and it usually has to do with 'having more faith', 'keep praying', 'give my problems to the lord and he will carry me through', 'God will make a way out if I ask him I just have to look for it', 'you are special to God and he will help you' ect ect. So I have done these things when things get bad. But when I question why things not only dont get better when I pray but at times get continually worse, I am being selfish and should stop asking for so much? It doesnt matter how balanced a Christian is if they question anything its because there is something wrong with them, their faith, they priorities, their expectations ect right? Yet another reason why I dont believe anymore in a biblical, Christian God. Makes no sense.

Why would God use his almighty powerfulness to divinely inspire men to write the bible and yet withhold that tiny ounce of power it would take to keep a child from being abused for years of its life? makes no sense.

Too many questions and no logical answers.

Conclusion: the bible is a book written by men and is no more holy then the Watchtower. the force that caused mankind to be, whatever it is, is not likely a person.

flower

• LDH
    LDH

What an excellent thread.

Fluff, indeed.

Lisa

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

SIXOFNINE:

As far as what I can do for God, I don't see that any human in history has recieved an answer to that. Maybe it's not a valid question?

I think the answer if very clear and simple (IMHO):

Matthew 25:40
    Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

• flower
    flower

Was that comment meant to be as sarcastic as it sounded Lisa? If not what was that supposed to mean?

flower

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

FLOWER:

Conclusion: the bible is a book written by men and is no more holy then the Watchtower. the force that caused mankind to be, whatever it is, is not likely a person.

Well, now that you've come to your final conclusion, BE FREE!!! ...quite torturing yourself with "why this" and "why not that" ...GOD doesn't exist, or if He does, he's not a person, right?... Breath in some fresh air and say "Now that I've got that GOD nonsense out of my mind, let's move forward". And as you move forward, in your freedom, have no grand expectations like you previously did, because if you don't ever expect anything, you won't ever be disappointed.

Now, don't you feel better...there is no, nor ever has been a GOD...things are done randomly and make no sense.. so no ones to blame but yourself for your past life. OUCH.

• flower
    flower
    Well, now that you've come to your final conclusion, BE FREE!!! ...quite torturing yourself with "why this" and "why not that" ...GOD doesn't exist, or if He does, he's not a person, right?... Breath in some fresh air and say "Now that I've got that GOD nonsense out of my mind, let's move forward".

i'm not a closed minded individual and i have no intention of any longer being the type of person that sticks to any belief just because i think i am right thus closing off all other thoughts and points of view. in other words just because i have come to this conclusion it does not mean that i now can no longer discuss the topic and/or ask questions and/or change my point of view in the future based on some new information i may come across.

And as you move forward, in your freedom, have no grand expectations like you previously did, because if you don't ever expect anything, you won't ever be disappointed.
    actually i have more expectations now because i know i control my own self. the only limits i have are ones i make for myself.

Now, don't you feel better...there is no, nor ever has been a GOD...things are done randomly and make no sense.. so no ones to blame but yourself for your past life. OUCH
    actually youve got it backwards in my opinion, things didnt make sense before now they make much more sense.

and i dont think concluding that there is no proof or evidence of a biblical, loving God means that I am to blame for anything. things just are the way they are and sometimes things happen the way they happen. sometimes we can control it and sometimes we cant. sometimes people are to blame and sometimes theres nothing they can do to change things. actually if you want to talk about me personally the watchtower and my father are responsible for my past life not me. but i am responsible for my life now and plan to work hard at making it a good one.

flower

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

FLOWER, YOU SAID:

things just are the way they are and sometimes things happen the way they happen. sometimes we can control it and sometimes we cant. sometimes people are to blame and sometimes theres nothing they can do to change things.

BINGO ... that's what most of the board has been saying, I'm glad you agree.

• flower
    flower

its not what i hear from christianity double edge. christians would have you believe in the 'power of prayer', that God gives people what they need, and if we have enough faith we can alter those events, and that miraculous things like the car stopping on the cliff is a direct result of divine intervention.

thats a heck of a lot different then what i just said.

flower

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    and if we have enough faith we can alter those events, and miraculous things like the car stopping on the cliff is a direct result of divine intervention

1. For me, not anyone else, my experience WAS devine intervention, PERIOD. Everyone elses opinion doesn't really matter because they didn't experience it, it's hearsay to them...let them get their own 'experience' to doubt if they want.

2. I can't speak for all Christians, only for myself, I agree with what you said..."things just are the way they are and sometimes things happen the way they happen. Sometimes we can control it and sometimes we can't" --- true, true, true.

3. What is also true (for me) is that I know GOD is REAL and does care about us.... but I also know He's not going to micro-manage our lives...that's for us to figure out. I just gave you one experience that I've had...I've had a few others (not because I'm special, but mainly because I think I've lived longer than you) that are even more profound for me....I cannot deny them, nor would I want to.

christians would have you believe in the 'power of prayer'
    That must be because it was effective for them, so why wouldn't they proclaim it. Even modern scientists and doctors agree that there is a "power" in prayer, whether it is Devine or not. Major magazines have written articles about it. I can only speak for myself (see posts above).

The problem with the internet is that these are written words, and can only convey so much, unlike a personal sitdown, eye-to-eye discussion where more can be felt and understood. I really do wish you well ... whether you continue the "quest" or not.

• flower
    flower

Thanks for the well wishes and if this is what you believe and it works for you more power to you.

I for one cannot blindly believe anything without evidence and answers anymore. And you havent answer any of the questions that were posed to you because you cant and neither can anyone else that holds these beliefs. You just beleive it and that makes it so in your mind. And thats fine if you dont need to know answers to basic questions. I do. I dont need to know the deep, doctrinal truths in the bible. I dont need to know whether God is a trinity or if there is a hell or if we go to heaven when we die. But there are some pretty simply basic questions that have no answers and that along with all that was stated in this thread has pretty much brought me to the conclusion I am at.

Hey, I could be wrong, I dont think so but anything is possible. Maybe the watchtower messed me up so bad that I simply cant believe in anything that cant be proven anymore. If thats the case that wonderful, loving God of yours would understand right?

flower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit