Losing my Religion......

by flower 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• Xander
    Xander

I could see that my front right tire was completely hanging over the edge without support

Well, let's see, if you were braking, the weight of the car would be pushing down on the forward wheels. One wheel goes over the edge....the nose would drop and the body of the car would catch on the edge. That would be the sudden stop, I'd reckon.

Or, maybe, the wheels got just enough friction to finally stop.

But, believing 'god' intervened on your behalf begs the question of why 'god' doesn't intervene when bad things happen to other people.

A fanatic is one who, upon losing sight of his goals, redoubles his efforts.
    --George Santayana
  • teenyuck
    teenyuck

{{{{{flower}}}}}

You and I had a discussion on aethists awhile back. This thread is in that vein. You are not a bad person because you lose faith in God. You are thinking and growing.

Dave and Xander summed it up for me.

My mother is convinced that if she prays, to Jehovah, for something good it will happen. She has told me a few times in the last few years, that her praying was a direct result of a positive outcome.

What she has not told me are all the times she has prayed and nothing happened. I cannot tell you how angry this makes me.

This is an ongoing debate with anyone who is non-religious. I just was discussing this with my husband, on Saturday. He simply cannot believe that I have no faith in God. I cannot believe that someone as smart as he is could believe in a mythical being.

At least there is a forum like this to open up on. Please let us know how you are. Even if we don't believe in God, we still care.
    Tina

• flower
    flower

Tina,

Thanks I dont think I have lost faith in God. I feel like I am simply realizing that if God is there, as Gopher said, he has left the human race to its own devices and has shown no interest in it whatsoever. He doesnt care, or intervene or listen to prayers or any such thing as that in my opinion.

I really believe that because there are just too many questions. Just like when I was a JW there were so many questions that just couldnt be answered. Once I realized that the whole organization is not any special 'people for his name' then all the questions were answered. It was all bullshit and that answered everything.

I'm pretty much coming to the same conclusion about the whole religion/God/spirituality thing. Now that I realize that its nothing but a psychological scam and bullshit and not real then all the questions get answered.

It does make me angry though that I was not only decieved and lied to by the dubs but now the whole of christianity is becoming something so far fetched its silly. It really is leaving me with nothing that was the old me. I dont even know this person I am anymore.

Its all crazy. and confusing.

Borgfree,

I know a lot of the struggles mouthy has gone through and I admire her so much and respect her and love her dearly. If her belief in God and Jesus is what helps her get through each day I dont think any less of her for it and wouldnt try to take that away from her. I think very highly of her and if she wants to call the good things that happen in her life 'blessings' from the Lord thats just fine with me.

If I were to 'count my blessings' so to speak, I'd consider meeting her one of them.

flower

• Almost There
    Almost There

Double Edge,

Let me tell you my experience with thinking that God saved me.

I was a newly wed and had just moved 400 miles away from all of my family and friends. I was raised in the JW faith, but quit attending after I was an adult (mainly because I never agreed with most of the JW teachings).

I have a brother who is 14 yrs. younger than me who wanted to spend some of his summer vacation with me. My father agreed, with the condition that I took him to the Kingdom Hall. I agreed and took him to all of the meetings.

Fast forward a week.... I decided to sign up with a temporary employment agency, so I could make some extra money, while learning how to get around the city. Well the temporary agency sent me and another lady to the same work assignment.

Since I was there first, they told me I would be the person to keep the assignment. But I heard her say, I really needed this assignment to make my car payment. So I told her that she could work the assignment, because I still had a lot unpacking to do.

Walking to my car, I hear someone hollering my name. So I stop and the lady that I gave the assignment to, says, "Come back, they have another position that you can have."

We were both heading out to lunch, when she ask, "Can I buy you lunch?" I agreed to lunch and told her that I would drive, because my car was closer.

She gets in the car and there is a song book, bible with a watchtower folded between the pages. She ask me if I'm a JW. I tell her NO WAY, that my brother was just visiting and I agreed to take him to the KH. She tells me that she is a JW, but not very active, because of a nasty divorce from her elder husband. But, that her mother and sister are pioneers and would I like for one of them to stop by. I agreed, because I thought this was Jehovah anwering my prayer. Because on the way to that job that day, I prayed for God to direct me to where I needed to go spiritually.

But the story is not over. Because of my taking on this temporary assignment, I needed child care. So while my husband was putting our son on the bus, he met a very nice lady. And she agreed to watch our son, but he told her that I would want to meet her.

So when I arrived home from work, he told me that he had made arrangments for me to meet this nice lady he met at the bus stop. When I walked through her door the first thing I say on her coffee table were copies of the Watchtower and Awake, plus a copy of the the New World Translation (the old green one). I broke out in tears, because I knew Jehovah was telling me to come back to him (lol).

I'm going to end the story by saying, I did meet her mother. Had my bible study and was baptized.

So if praying to god will get you the same results. God is one sick SOB. Because my being baptized has been pure hell. And almost was the death of me.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

flower,

I really believe that because there are just too many questions. Just like when I was a JW there were so many questions that just couldnt be answered. Once I realized that the whole organization is not any special 'people for his name' then all the questions were answered. It was all bullshit and that answered everything.

I'm pretty much coming to the same conclusion about the whole religion/God/spirituality thing. Now that I realize that its nothing but a psychological scam and bullshit and not real then all the questions get answered.

It does make me angry though that I was not only decieved and lied to by the dubs but now the whole of christianity is becoming something so far fetched its silly. It really is leaving me with nothing that was the old me. I dont even know this person I am anymore.

I agree...that is what led me to believe that perhaps God does not exist. It just does not make any sense.

Almost There....LOL, great post!!

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

BORGFREE:

I could give you many stories like the one Double Edge just gave, but, as I suspected, such stories are not well received.

You've said a mouthful..that is EXACTLY why I thought twice about relaying my experience. I've only told a couple of people about that and it happened years ago. I won't even go into the deeper experiences...what's the point.

Like every one that walks this earth we have to take life as it is - the good, the bad and the ugly. We're here, it's tough, get use to it. But there are opportunities for those that have the eyes to see and the ears to hear.

I know, I know, I know....I've prayed hundreds of times throughout the years and have been frustrated but the seemingly uncareing attitude of Someone ignoring me. I've yelled, screamed, cried myself to sleep trying to get through on a two-way call to Heaven. I've had people die at my feet when I cried out for God to intervene, knowing that he had answered my prayers before but that this time he was silent. I've lost my way, my friends, my faith, my love. ... like everyone else....I've LOST...and I've hated and I've cursed and at 20-years old I went out to the desert to blow my brains out...but didn't.

I've also GAINED, big time... because like everyone else, I've muddle through life taking a step at a time, trying to figure the whole thing out. No, I don't have all the answers, but I have a hell of a lot of good solid clues and some wonderous experiences which I realize now that only I can appreciate - for they mean very little to those who haven't gone through them - and they're just fodder for others to ridicule. But it doesn't matter, because those precious few times that the "heavens were opened" are enough to sustain me the majority of this life which can be mean and miserable and full of doubt.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Flower thank you for that nice comment ,about meeting me.I do hope we do meet( PENNSYLVANIA??????)
    Borgfree-- You know how I love you-((((hug))))thanks alot for your remarks.
    I believe every word of it Double edge...Reminds me of the time Jesus healed the blind Mathew 9:29-31 He told them not to tell anyone- Do you think he told them that- because he knew they wouldnt
    believe- but they like us wanted to tell every one.

• flower
    flower

I dont think that I ridiculed your experience Double Edge. If I did then I apologize cause thats not how I meant it to sound. I do believe your experience happened like you said but 'I' just believe that it 'happened' and would have happened whether you were athiest or agnostic or a terrorist. I just dont believe that God is up there picking and choosing who he will help and when he will help and when he wont, who time is it to go and who gets to stay. Its just so far-fetched the more I think about it the less I can believe it.

But, and I know you may not think its possible, but I dont have any problem with someone who chooses to believe it and can explain it in their own mind. If it makes sense to you and makes your life more meaningful then I think that is great. My questions to you were asked out of a sincere thirst for answers. There is a part of me, my heart, that is having a hard time listening to my brain and letting go of the fantasies I have always believed in and that part is secretly hoping that some one will come along and explain it all so that I can accept God and be a Christian again. So my questions weren't to ridicule.

But my common sense and brain know that there are no logical answers to any of the important questions that arise when one believes in God in the Christian sense.

If your faith sustains you through the tough times in life..wonderful. I sincerely wish I could say the same.

flower

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Flower,

One day you will see what I was saying about a month ago in chat.

You will see how crazy the concept of religion/spirituality/god/myth really is. Then you will no longer be offended that I equated it with mental illness. It was not meant as an insult on my part...

If I can help you in any way please let me know.

GD

• Yadira Angelini
    Yadira Angelini

Flower, daughter, look how many people have responded to you! how gloriuos! Love, always,

Yadira

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit