Raphael Aron in The Age newspaper: Jehovah's Witnesses 'a cruel cult'

by WinstonSmith 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

Welcome, AndDontCallMeShirley! I look forward to hearing your story.

• RainbowSerpent
    RainbowSerpent

I'd hate to be door knocking this weekend... A LOT of people in Australia read The Age...

Bunch of sheep will just see it as another "test of our faith"

• Heaven
    Heaven

Welcome AndDon'tCallMeShirley!

Mr Aron says shunning is "draconian, cruel and callous." Religion and faith were supposed to provide support, comfort and warmth but shunning could crush self-esteem and give feelings of guilt, especially in children.

Not to mention the people who take their own lives because they can't stand the pain.

A spokesman for the church in Australia, Sydney solicitor Vincent Toole, dismissed the allegations and said shunning was a"myth."

"Toole"... well ain't this guy aptly named.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

"A spokesman for the church in Australia, Sydney solicitor Vincent Toole, dismissed the allegations and said shunning was a"myth.""

I think this a common way of WTS-officials to put it. The shunning is always the choice of the individual JW, nothing that the WTS demands. Of course it's a lie....or theocratic warfare.....but they keep stating this for not getting in to legal trouble.

Anyhow, this loyal Toole must have some problems with being fully trustworthy. I hope a lot of JW's will read this article.

• nugget
    nugget

I cannot believe the barefaced cheek saying shunning is a myth. The magazines and their own website highlight that shunning is considered an acceptable practice.

There seems to be a lack of control in the official message with people going off message. The usual line is that family members chose for themselves whether to shun or not. Seems that the spokesman is a little rattled which is odd for them. They are under scrutiny like never before, I hope something solid results from this that helps to informn the congregations and improve practice.

• Dismissing servant
    Dismissing servant

This is from a cout case in the US some years ago. But this elder is acting in the same way as Toole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iCzxajZxqs

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Just found the article in my paper! BTTT especially for fellow Aussies!

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

The two articles have turned out very well and are mostly accurate. Chris Johnston did a lot of research, interviewed me for about an hour and requested I send through quite a lot of information to him.

Aron said, "I am still waiting for a justification for someone to be able to rip away a five or six year old child from their extended family because Mum or Dad have decided to leave the Jehovah's Witnesses,". So when he later says it can cause guilt in children, he is correct. ExJW children find it difficult to understand why they are being shunned by their grandparents, and suffer greatly as a result.

• Refriedtruth
    Refriedtruth
    Slamming the door on Jehovah
    The Age - 3 hours ago Even minor infringements within the Jehovah's Witnesses such as smoking can result in "disfellowshipping", and disfellowshipped people can also be shunned.

This is NOW the 3rd news article

• smiddy
    smiddy

Their are many ways to spread this message : The journalist who wrote the story can be contacted by e-mail, or twitter,you can send a letter to the editor of the newspaper in question stating your veiws,in either case you dont have to have your name published ,it can be withheld from publication if you request it.

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit