Raphael Aron in The Age newspaper: Jehovah's Witnesses 'a cruel cult'

by WinstonSmith 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Theocratic Sedition
    Theocratic Sedition
    Just up top ranked of the news searches

Slamming the door on Jehovah

The Border Mail-2 hours ago

MORE to follow Aussies are slamming JW big time
    That article is scathing!!!! Whew!!!!!!!!!! Sadly, JWs will view this as persecution, and even part of the Wild Beast turning on organized religion. Regardless, reading this article, if one is unbiased, it's hard not to view JWs as a cult. I personally don't like to use the word because of how we typically use it nowadays, but reading this article has me thinking of the old poster, Itsacult. Wow.

• Newly Enlightened
    Newly Enlightened

For WTBT$ to outright lie to the world like that is unbelievable to me. But that Vincent Toole, really is a 'tool'. But I LOVE Snarky's video....

http://youtu.be/0_suDumCqAE

• Londo111
    Londo111

Paul Grundy is mentioned in the Slamming article...

• Londo111
    Londo111

Doublepost. D'oh!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    Perhaps it warns people of the dangers of cults. We all have a responsibility, even Jesus said false prophets would come saying "here is the Christhe is in the inner room " (invisible). 1 Thessolosians 5:21 commands us to test all things, shunning and Demonizing is yeast of pharisaical teaching that give birth to suspicion and hate.

Indeed, if it starts people questioning what the Witnesses are about, it will at least dissuade some from joining the org. Unfortunately the article is inaccurate enough that it likely won't trouble any Witnesses who are "in".

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

I have a feeling many more of the "experiences" in the WT are simply drudged up from those loyally serving and not organic.

Shunning is a myth? Unbelievable.

Mr Aron isn't 100% accurate though. he said something about a 5 or 6 year old not speaking to their parent because they are no longer one of JW's. While family dynamics may be complicated, lets not pretend that is actual policy in practice. First a 5-6 year old cannot be baptized. Second, a child would be living under the same roof as the parent who left, and therefore subject to them.

His mistep there, will cause loyal JW's to harp on the inaccuracy of the comment, rather than the deception spouted off by their spokesperson.

• cedars
    cedars

problemaddict

Mr Aron isn't 100% accurate though. he said something about a 5 or 6 year old not speaking to their parent because they are no longer one of JW's. While family dynamics may be complicated, lets not pretend that is actual policy in practice. First a 5-6 year old cannot be baptized. Second, a child would be living under the same roof as the parent who left, and therefore subject to them.

I get where you're coming from, and I personally believe there are much more compelling scenarios Aron could have drawn from to make his point. However, he's essentially correct. If a five/six-year-old's parents leave the organization, there is very little chance that he or she will end up having any meaningful relationship with his/her extended family who are still inside. That's not the kid's fault - the blame lies squarely with the Watch Tower Society. Also, don't forget Aron is a psychologist and counsellor. It may be that he's reporting from his experience with a particular case.

Cedars

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

double post...

I agree with Apognophos. There are inaccuracies in here. I spotted the ones about birthdays and commented on those in the other post.

http://jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/scandals/249213/1/VICTORIA-AUSTRALIA-The-Age-newspaper-March-15-2013-Jehovahs-Witnesses-a-cruel-cult

Unfortunately, an article with inaccuracies will be dismissed without a second thought by JWs.

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

"The Slamming the door" article is quite strong and pretty well done.

It cuts off though near the bottom:

"Another middle-aged woman, from Melbourne, says that among people she grew up with in the church there was a "conscious class" – she knows about 40 – who only attend so they can keep seeing their PAGE 16"

"PAGE 16" is not clickable...

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Welcome, Anddon'tcallmeShirley! Love your username!

I love that article! It would be even better if other news services around the world picked it up.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit