Complete reversal: from Witness to atheist

by Ephanyminitas 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rhett
    rhett
    I also feel that evolution does indeed account for simple form changes, but it lacks a certain explanatory power when it comes to powerful innovation and complexity. It all seems too convenient that the universe succeeded in bringing us into existence.

I will give you the fact that it takes a pretty long shot for all of this stuff to just come about on its own and without the help of any god creature. Its actually this belief that made me throw out the idea of god. If its so hard to imagine that all of this stuff happened on its own its even harder to imagine that god somehow came into existence and was so powerful that he could create the universe and its complexity. Its kind of like saying it seems next to impossible that a Palm Pilot could just materialize on my kitchen table. How much more impossible would it be for a machine that makes those Palm Pilots to materialize? Its quite a stretch for one to happen and an even bigger stretch for the other.

• JT
    JT

All of you all are going to Burn in Hell, for not believing

james

• Five Gospels
    Five Gospels

2SYN,

You said:

The problem with most people believing in God (tribal or otherwise) is that they have never read the Godell Theory of Incompleteness. Quite an eye-openeer, that one!
    I'm very familiar with Kurt Gödel’s theorems. For most who have studied them, Gödel’s results are evidence that stable and self-contained systems of reasoning, e.g. mathematical reasoning, are either insufficient to express all true theorems that exist within the system (hence incomplete), or lead to undecidable propositions.

If Gödelian incompleteness does in fact extend into such metaphysical questions as the existence of God, then the consequence is that there exist things that are true that cannot be proven within the logical framework of our epistemology, or things leading to contradictions, or things that are completely undecidable - but nevertheless "true." So, I fail to see how Gödel’s results are a "real eye opener" in the sense that they would lead one to believe that God does not exist.

Fellow Posters:

I realize this is a thread more or less for the atheists in this forum. But as somebody made the comment that they wonder why “Christians” have not contributed to this discussion, please let me throw in my 2-cents:

First of all, the Christian/Atheist division presents a false dichotomy to me. If what you mean by “Christian” is somebody who simply extols the virtues of a man who was a staunch critic of the Jewish (and by corollary, any man-made) religious system and a promoter of peace and love, then yes, I am a Christian. But if you mean a person who subscribes to any one of a plethora of man-made (or man-enforced) traditions or interpretations of what is required to be “approved by Jesus/God”, then no, I am not a Christian in that sense.

I understand where most of you are coming from though, and I respect people’s conclusions even if they are different from my own. This trend, i.e. of a reversal from “believer” to “atheist” that seems so prevalent among former Jehovah’s Witnesses is noteworthy. I think the Society’s very nature fosters this trend. Basically, their theology forces one to reject virtually every idea about God/spirituality that does not conform their limited world-view, and when their house of cards finally proves too tenuous for one to adhere to, there seems to be nothing left. This is difficult and often traumatic when it happens to somebody; I know -- I went through this myself. I had to come to terms with such matters as my own mortality and my place (or apparent lack thereof) in the world. I “flirted” with atheism for some time and yet I arrived at a conclusion that probably differs from that of many posters here.

I do believe in a God. I also believe that it is possible that God does not exist. (Some might say that by definition this make me an atheist but I do not agree.) My concept of “God” may be different than what most people have in mind. I also think that many "reasonings" on the non-existence of God are nothing more than straw man arguments: "I can't believe that some bearded old man is floating around the universe zapping things with his magic wand," (the straw man) "therefore the notion of God is ridiculous."

On the other hand, I agree that the Biblical God is difficult to reconcile with our modern world-view. To me, the Bible is a record of man's early attempts to express his understanding or interpretation of the "spiritual experience" that seems to be common to man. Just as Newtonian physics was an early attempt to explain the mechanics of the universe and proved to be insufficient, so might it be said of our outdated modes of spiritual "reasoning?”

I know you have all heard the mantra: absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. But it rings true for me, in this case, and I am not willing to throw away the baby with the bathwater. I like to think, if anything, that our understanding of our place (and our origins) in the universe is, and will continue to be, an evolutionary process. Perhaps we, as a species, are not yet intellectually equipped to “know” or prove certain realities at this time. Nevertheless, I enjoy the discovery process, and I am ok with the possibility that I myself may never know the answers.

Five Gospels

• saltiest
    saltiest

It's comment slike JT's that completely turn me away from any form of religious beliefs at all.

• SEAKEN2001
    SEAKEN2001

JT, yeah, I'm toast! Bummer!

Saltiest, I took it as a joke.

Mulan, wow. I didn't know. You heretic you. Cousin D will just have to practice some of that unconditional love, eh? I hesitate to bring the subject up with my dad too because I know he's so attached to his belief in Christ as God's son. My decision to understand Christ and spirit as nothing more than human ideas does not prevent me from believing there is a God, at at least what we have come to call a god. But it does put me at odds with many Christians who continue to believe that we all need to be saved. I love reading stuff on psychology and mythology and a lot of what we describe about how we think can be thought of as spirituality and godliness, or wicked. I like to simplify it in my own mind as God is Good and Wicked/Satan is Bad, at least in my culture.

Five Gospels, enjoyed your comments. I'm not sure I agree with your comment about the "prevalence" of athiest's among former JW's. Maybe that is something that can be shown by doing a study and gathering data, I don't know. Most of the former JW's I have come accross have not become athiests. Many move on to some other Christian type church or personal belief system and a lot just keep their opinions to themselves. I think this board is fairly well populated by athiests but there are many Christians and other god-believers here, most of whom are probably not as expressive as the athiests. There are many more boards on the internet that are populated with former JW's who are evangelist types and Biblical apologists. I'm just not sure that there is more of a tendency to become an athiest than it is to move to another form of god-believer. If you have some data on this I'd be interested in reviewing it. I can't imagine that doing a comprehensive story on this would be very easy. How do we get to all those former JW's who aren't on the public internet?

I have learned to accept that many former JW's who become Christian wish that I would become Christian like them. I tolerate that and am happy that many Christians have learned to tolerate my lack of faith. But most people I associate with (most of whom are not former JW's) have their belief in God but do not share it with me unless I ask them to. One of my friends lives a very disciplined life with an Eastern philosphy and he is more "godly" than most of the western Christian or Jewish friends I have. That type of circumstance always interests me. I have to ask why a man who does not believe in a personal God acts more like the Christian god or the benevolent Hebrew god than those who claim to believe in a personal relationship with those dieties. An interesting phenomenon. No comments from me about what that says about anyones religion. It just tells me that people are godly in their personality not because there is a god but because they want to be that way. I try to live what I see as a godly or good life but do not feel it's necessary to life whether there is a God or not.

Sean

• pseudoxristos
    pseudoxristos

Five gospels,

I enjoyed your post, especially the idea that there is a trend among Witnesses toward Atheism.

This trend, i.e. of a reversal from “believer” to “atheist” that seems so prevalent among former Jehovah’s Witnesses is noteworthy. I think the Society’s very nature fosters this trend. Basically, their theology forces one to reject virtually every idea about God/spirituality that does not conform their limited world-view, and when their house of cards finally proves too tenuous for one to adhere to, there seems to be nothing left.
    There does seem to be a very thin line between the Witnesses and Atheism. After all, the Witnesses have already proven all other religions wrong except their own. The final step in becoming Atheists for a Witness is to realize that, their own religion false. I find it somewhat ironic that most Witnesses do not know how close they are to becoming that "foolish Atheist" they ridicule constantly from the podium.

For me my journey to "Atheism" was a little different than most here, but it was still cultivated by the Watchtower. In my quest to prove the Watchtower wrong, I did learn enough of the Watchtower truths to realize that many of my rock solid beliefs were nothing but delusions. It pains me somewhat to admit that the great enemy "The Watchtower" does teach some truth. But I realize now that these truths are the tools used to keep the Rank & File in limbo.

With the decline in new converts in recent years, it is possible that the Watchtower is doing more now to cultivate Atheism than the “Truth™”.

• saltiest
    saltiest

Seaken,

I took it as a joke from JT, but it's comments on the same line that others say and they're not joking. I find no positive aspect of the whole "hell" idea.

• LucidSky
    LucidSky
    I will give you the fact that it takes a pretty long shot for all of this stuff to just come about on its own and without the help of any god creature. Its actually this belief that made me throw out the idea of god. If its so hard to imagine that all of this stuff happened on its own its even harder to imagine that god somehow came into existence and was so powerful that he could create the universe and its complexity.

Rhett - Makes some sense. I think this goes into the Christian idea of first causes. They state that everything had a cause but God. I remember reading an argument one time that proceeded from the following:

Does the universe exist?
    If so, did it have a beginning?
    If so, was the beginning caused or uncaused?
    If so, was the cause personal or impersonal?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit