Complete reversal: from Witness to atheist

by Ephanyminitas 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

I was raised as a JW from the time I was 2-35yrs old and now I would describe myself as Agnostic.
    I'm happier and believe I'm a better person now.

Ranchette

• truthseeker1
    truthseeker1

I was athiest, became a JW and now don't know...
    The god in the OT is pretty ruthless, I don't take stories form the bible literal, OT mostly. I just don't believe that it never rained before the flood. and WTF is that BS about a friggen water layer in the atmosphere that god pulled the plug and drenched the world...anyone else wonder about that?
    If i believe in a god, it is an impersonal abstract force that started it all, and if we choose to call that god, then hey, I believe in god. I once read it as "first push" or something.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Amen, Larc!

• Fire Dragon
    Fire Dragon

I've had many theories myself on this one...I think that IF God was with the WTBTS at one time, God has long left them alone because of their uniform humanity. They stopped really looking to God long ago for answers and just took it upon themselves to lead.

I've also thought that maybe there is only one supreme being...God and Satan rolled into one. He started it all and then sat back to watch...depending on what kind on mood the day brings will bring about any action on God's part.

Other than that, I'm just trying to get 'deprogrammed' from the Society. I've only been free for a couple of months...it's all so raw. You can feel free to email me for details or if you know a good way to get this tiny voice out of the back of my head that keeps asking me 'what if they're right?'

"...if there is a hell, I'll see you there." (NIN - Downward Spiral)
    I'll be the one providing the fire.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"I used to be in doubt, but now I am sure any more ......"
    By the way, Truthseeker, it is "old light" that it never rained before the Flood .....

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

I'm half SS's opinion, half a total unbeliever.

Don't see too much on this beautiful/horrible planet that points to a guy who makes pillars of flame and such.

ashi

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi "Ephanyminitas", You wrote:

<Who else out there has shed the bonds of the idea of "God" and have embraced the sheer pointlessness of life? ;-) >

For me shedding the god idea and seeing life as pointless are two very different and separate issues.

I definitely often saw life as pointless as a Jehovah's Witness. Seeing life as pointless, seems to be a common symptom of people with a depression. Pointless is hopeless is dreamless is not very enjoyable.

Some time you might like to look at the difference between atheist and non-theist. Actually the theist and the atheist are the same. A secular humanist does see a point to life in a rational, objective way and works for human solutions to human problems.

A theist goes into a restaurant and studies the menu and prays for a meal and waits . . . and waits . . . and waits . . .

An atheist goes into a restaurant and studies the menu and refuses to pray for a meal, says "See there is no god." and waits . . . and waits . . . and waits . . .

A non-theist goes into a restaurant and orders, eats and leaves.

Just my thoughts . . .

gb

• patio34
    patio34

I have come to agree with certain posters (i forget who) who made the point that they would not describe themselves as atheists. It is impractical to call youself by what you don't believe in, like "I'm a non-Tooth-Fairy believer," "non-Zeus," etc.

The point was made that it's more accurate to say "Humanist" as someone who attempts betterment thru human principles, and improve human conditions thru humans. I haven't read much on it, but it's something like that.

Accepting the label "atheist" is still putting the whole religious aspect in it, as it means without theism. Much more accurate to state what you DO feel and believe.

Pat

• Xenu
  • Farkel
    Farkel

: I just don't believe that it never rained before the flood. and WTF is that BS about a friggen water layer in the atmosphere that god pulled the plug and drenched the world...anyone else wonder about that?

Here's an article by our own AlanF that covers that very subject:

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/flood03.htm

Other scholarly articles on creation and a variety of subjects by AlanF are found here:

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/index2.htm

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit