Complete reversal: from Witness to atheist

by Ephanyminitas 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Ephanyminitas
    Ephanyminitas

I'm pretty new here (five minutes old!) and I'm curious: how many have left the organization and, in time, become athiests. I certainly have. I was raised in the organization, so growing up, my thinking was -- of course -- stifled. But now that I've backed off and I _objectively_ examine things, well holy crap: there _is_ no God! I believe that God is just a concept, a state of mind. I hardly believe that such an omniscient being would act in the ways it has in the Bible. (Oh -- did I mention that I think the Bible, while containing some moral gems, is a load of it too?)

Who else out there has shed the bonds of the idea of "God" and have embraced the sheer pointlessness of life? ;-)

"Ephanyminitas"

• Satanus
    Satanus

i have shed the christian/bible idea of god, but it seems to me that there is something of a transcendent spiritual nature at work. But it is not at all like anything in the old testement.

SS

• 2SYN
    2SYN

That would sum me up in a nutshell. I've basically abandoned any Christian belief of a tribal God and instead chosen to focus on humanity.

[SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa - For Great Justice!

• gumby
    gumby

One subject in particular that I can say I appreciated that I learned as a witness was Creation.(although OTHER churches teach on the subject also)

I remember many points about the wonder of life and the complexity of things, and that the odds of all this happening by chance was nill.

I STILL believe in our creator and wonder how many who learn of God ...through the bible....change to otherwise.

I will say I think it would be wise to make sure which way of your thinking is correct. Look into it good!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Add me to the list.

Good to have you here, Ephanyminitas! Why'd your Mom give you such a long name?

- Nathan Natas, UADNA
    (Unseen Apostate Directorate of North America)

• rem
    rem

Fellow Witness turned atheist checking in.

rem

"We all do no end of feeling, and we mistake it for thinking." - Mark Twain
  • COMF
    COMF

I don't believe in the biblical god, but I think there's too much order and complexity for it to have originated and grown to what we now see through a series of chance occurrences. I allow for the possibility of some form of higher intelligence. If it exists, though, I don't imagine it to be particularly benevolent, given the nature of life (eat other living things, or die).

I've given up hope of ever knowing the answers, and contented myself with living a full, rewarding life while I'm alive. If it turns out there's life after death, kewl. If not, my present life won't have been spent waiting for the ever-not-present tomorrow.

COMF

• larc
    larc

I am checking in as an agnostic. I don't know and I dont't care. Whatever happens, happens

• GWEEDO
    GWEEDO

i'm with Satan on this one...

• ChuckD
    ChuckD

Count me in as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit