Life at School - as a Witness

by trevor 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nicolas
    Nicolas

Definitely, this post really describe my experience. When I was in school, I always had the feeling that I wasn't part of the gang. So at the age of 12, I began to have a double-life. When I was in school, I was trying to be a cool guy and I was a rebel but at home, I was a quiet boy who always listen to his parents. This is why, I'm shy now because I often try to hide my real self.

We become more attuned to the human condition when we recognize that God is not going to fix our problems.

• trevor
    trevor

Hello TOM,

My apologies. I am sorry that you have had difficulty locating the book on 'amazon.' The problem is that it is listed under 'amazon.co.uk'
    Hope this helps.

trevor

• trevor
    trevor

Thanks for all your experiences. I realize that it helps to know that others have been through the same treadmill. Due to the interest in this subject I have decided to share a little more of my own experience.

‘The two years leading up to my leaving school seemed to last forever. I spent every holiday from the age of thirteen, Vacation pioneering and mixing with the established pioneers in my congregation. They constantly encouraged me to leave school as soon as possible and join them in the life saving work. Those raised as strict Witnesses are trained to view the world around them in an abstract way. The real world is life within the Society. Life at school simply becomes a distraction.

At school I would gaze out of the window and think about my other life. My teachers told me that I was dreamer but could do well at any subject I chose, if only I would stop daydreaming and concentrate. How could they know that I had another life apart from school? I viewed school as a prison, which restrained me from joining the pioneers. The passing months were a diminishing sentence.

After leaving school I had no close contact with anyone outside the organization, even those in the congregation were vetted for suitability. If anyone did not fit the mould I would be discouraged from associating with him or her. This attitude toward association permeates the whole movement at all levels.

I clearly remember a young Italian “brother” who left school and embarked on a seven-year apprenticeship in engineering. Those in the pioneer service told me that this showed he did not love Jehovah God and was only interested in material things. They advised me to stay away from him as he was a bad influence and would discourage me from entering the pioneer service.

As I was forbidden to have any association with those outside the Society, I was desperately short of friends of my own age and felt reluctant to avoid my friend and “brother,” so I told my parents what had been said. They told me this was good advice and that the father was also to blame as it was his wish the boy should receive secular training. With Armageddon so close, the idea of training to earn a living was wrong and showed a lack of faith. I was told to avoid the whole family, as they were all bad association.

The young man is now supporting a family and serving in the same congregation, thirty years after he was judged and condemned along with his family for assuming his social responsibility to train himself to meet the challenge of paying his way in the world. I feel regret that I did not follow my own feelings and show true friendship. The Society would give warnings in the form of Watchtower articles and continue to do so. Talking of some of the members they wrote:

“However because they have allowed themselves to be unduly affected by this system’s philosophy and empty deception, they may remark: “Pioneering is not for everybody. Besides, in today’s economy you need a university education if you are going to make it.” Materialistic and fleshly reasoning are part and parcel of the elementary things of the world – the fundamental precepts and beliefs of worldlings! Yielding to it can cause irreparable spiritual damage.” (Watchtower 15 July 1985 Page 13)

How could we possibly be friends with those who had chosen college or university over pioneering? They were almost “worldlings!” My teachers went to great lengths to encourage me to continue on at school. They tried to tell me that the Watchtower Society was misleading me. I had already been warned that the Devil would use my teachers to try and weaken my faith, so I refused to consider their advice. I was trained to ignore any comments that were unfavourable towards the Society; it was a matter of loyalty. I warned them that the end of the world system was months away and that their lives were in danger.

The Society has always tried to make young minds believe that it is the will of God himself that they abandon all ambition, or higher education, or a career, in favour of promoting their beliefs:

“As you think about your future, no doubt questions run through your mind. Should I go to university and seek a career as a doctor, a lawyer, or a scientist? Does the dream of climbing the corporate ladder to financial success and recognition intrigue me? Would I become a famous name in the arts through acting or painting? Or, as a youth devoted to Jehovah god, should I choose the full-time ministry as my career…?”

“Youths how will you use your future? For yourself or fully for Jehovah? Prayerfully consider the goal of full-time service now in your youth. Imitate Jesus by living the rest of your life ‘for God’s will.’ It will prove to be a protection from harmful worldly ambitions, careers and associations. Analyse your circumstances and set a specific date as your goal for entering full-time service. Work towards it. Pray for Jehovah’s help to attain it.” (Watchtower – 15 April 1986 - Pages 28-30)

A representative from the London head office came to our town when I was fifteen, the earliest age for leaving school at that time. I asked him whether I should stay on at school until I was sixteen so I could take my exams. He answered in this way:

“Just think how the angel will view you when he comes at Armageddon to destroy those outside the organization and he sees you busy with your exams when you could be pioneering. You haven’t time to waste – Armageddon could be here any day now.”

I waited in fear to leave school and prove that I was no part of the worldly schooling system.’

Taken from the newly released book 'Opening the Door to Jehovah's Witnesses ' by Trevor Willis Available from' Amazon Books 'ISBN 0954018206

• 2SYN
    2SYN

Geesh - it was nowhere near this bad at my KH. But then, I didn't stay around long enough to experience this BS!

Thanks for posting these excerpts, Trever, they're much appreciated. Fascinating reading, and they really show what life is like in a High Control cult...!

[SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa - For Great Justice!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit