Life at School - as a Witness

by trevor 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• trevor
    trevor

Thanks for your replies. I left school, aged 15 in 1970 just five years before the world ended. My story is typical of thousands of others but I have no regrets. Life has been kind to me since I took charge of it myself.

trevor

• rebelledat12
    rebelledat12

Trevor, I too was denied all activities and fellowship with classmates. Eventually I rebelled and my friends were other "bad" kids. We all had some sad story, my JW background made me one of them. We had more fun than any other group and made long lasting supportive friendships that exist today. It's really nice to talk to people that have been there...
    Take care,
    Jessi

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Trevor,
    It's nice to know I wasn't the only one denied a normal childhood. I don't blame my parents, though. I feel they did the best they could and just didn't know any better. I was the only girl. I was was not allowed to associate with "wordly" friends, and the friends at the kingdom hall were also scrutinized by my folks, especially if they weren't very spiritual. I feel that I am getting to know myself all over again....this time I get to make the choices. I was never encouraged to attend college, so that's something I would love to do. It's too bad I wasn't allowed to do it when I was younger, but I guess it's never to late to start. When I think about it..it's kind of exciting to know there is so much out there I have yet to discover!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    Taken from the newly released book 'Opening the Door to Jehovah's Witnesses ' Available from' Amazon Books 'ISBN 0954018206

I searched for this book at amazon.com and couldn't find it. Is the information correct as shown?

Tom

"At midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew go out and round up everyone who knows more than they do"
    --Bob Dylan
  • trevor
    trevor

Yes the information is correct. Just dial my name into the search box. Trevor Willis and it should come up. You should also be able to find it by using the ISBN number as shown - it is correct.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Nope. Doesn't work either way.

Tom

"At midnight all the agents and the superhuman crew go out and round up everyone who knows more than they do"
    --Bob Dylan
  • Rags
    Rags

I am 36 and when i was 5 years old in Toronto Canada...at Hughes public school..my kindergarten teacher would put us over her knee and smack it till it was black and blue with a thick dictionary!!
    This story could have been written by me because it is totally identical to what i went through. I totally relate with the author.
    This story brought up alot of anger for a wasted childhood i had...i was completely deprived of all worldly things...sports..activities..competitions....choir...
    I never got to be a real kid...guess thats why i act like one at 36 years old today.....oh well.
    Rags

• animal
    animal

thats exactly right about missing out in youth. Many people, JW or otherwise, stopped growing emotionally at a young age.... usually when something dramatic happened in thier life (death, divouce, etc). That is why many when leaving on thier own do stupid shit and get into trouble.

I use my past experiences to guide my kids in the right direction....

Animal

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

When I was in high school I wanted to join the swim team soooo bad! but of course didn't. Didn't take any of the college prep classes either, just business classes, stuff that would help me get part time work so I could pioneer. When my kids reached high school age I couldn't deny them the privelege of fully participating in anything school activity they wanted. They have done well and am so proud of them. And dontcha know, they haven't been 'spoiled' by 'worldly' association. None of their friends are promiscuous or into drugs or alcohol. Makes a person wonder about all that 'protective' counsel from the WT....
    Mrs R

• yumbby
    yumbby

Reading this post was like looking a an entry into my diary! I just wonder if anyone else here has had problems integrating into the world after living like this. I find it hard to trust anyone when they say they love me, because in my life as well as yours, love was very conditional on actions. My mother and sister don't speak to me even though I'm not DA or DS yet. Its hard to break the feeling in relationships that the person will leave if our conduct isn't up to "standards". I can name many other ways that growing up in the borg, causes problems in future life, but thats for another post.
    Good night everyone.
    Shantelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit