Life at School - as a Witness

by trevor 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• trevor
    trevor

Life at School

As a schoolboy I lived a double life. In the evening I would go from door to door with my father or attend a meeting. Sometimes I would address an audience of one hundred or more adults from the platform. I would rub shoulders with men and women many times my age. They were kind and complimentary towards me, praising my comments or telling me what a fine “talk” I had given, being a lecture from the platform.

This was my world! These were the people I was soon to live with in a paradise earth, when my school and teachers had been destroyed. In the morning I would return to school. My classmates knew nothing of my other life. My teachers would sometimes cane me for failing to do my homework. I accepted this as a necessary persecution I must bear in order to pre-study for and attend the meetings. It was a matter of priority.

My day at school would begin with sitting alone in a classroom while the rest of the school attended assembly. I was forbidden to worship with them, so I would sit and pray or recall the events of the night before. I was not allowed to join the school orchestra or take part in the annual school play. I never belonged to a school sports team or took part in any team event that might mean spending a moment more than was absolutely necessary at my “worldly school.” Weekends away canoeing and camping were also taboo. To be a “boy scout” was totally banned.

Children of the Witnesses are forbidden access to many of the self-esteem enhancing activities that are open to other children. They are brought up to believe that they are different and separate from the world. They do not fully integrate with their schoolmates or teachers, due to their resistance to being fully involved with the education process, and their training to avoid forming friendships with worldly people.

More so than other children, their main security comes from winning the approval of their parents. They find that to win this approval they must do whatever the Society and their parents tell them will win Jehovah God’s approval. I was told, by my own parents that if I ever left the religion they would never talk to me again. If I were to ever marry outside the religion the same penalty would apply. Although these threats are not always carried out, the Witness child grows up believing that the continuation of their whole world depends upon gaining their parents approval.

In addition to this pressure to conform, is the threat that God himself will kill the child, if he or she should go against their parent’s wishes. The child is also puzzled by the parent’s willingness to lose them in this way and often concludes that the parents do not love him or her. How can they threaten a child they love in this way, or say that the God they love may kill their child? As a child I concluded that I meant very little to my parents. Not all Witness parents act in this way. Those that do, say that they are practising a form of principled love for the child. Unfortunately children do not interpret threats of his kind as love. Nor as far as I know do most adults.

Attending school was a legal requirement. As long as I left school with sufficient training to go from door to door as a pioneer, the time spent there could be justified. I was repeatedly told that schoolmates were bad association. Time with them was to be kept to a minimum. They were not invited to my home and I was forbidden to go to theirs. I would turn down all invitations to birthday parties and other celebrations. Although I was sent cards I was never allowed to return the gesture.

Despite the restraint I showed towards my classmates they were friendly towards me, though disappointed that I avoided them, and made excuses for my anti-social behaviour. It hurt me to reject their friendship but even more to think that they were soon to be killed because their parents were not Jehovah’s Witnesses. When they discussed their extra school activities or career plans I would look at the ground. Until the last possible moment I allowed them and my teachers to believe that I was staying on to take exams. To disclose my intentions would have meant me being placed in the lowest grade among the school’s rougher element. A few weeks before I left school I explained that I was leaving school to pioneer and support myself by window cleaning.

Taken from the newly released book 'Opening the Door to Jehovah's Witnesses ' Available from' Amazon Books 'ISBN 0954018206

• Frenchy
    Frenchy

I have a question...to anyone here...what would have been your reaction to reading this while you were an active witness?

• Room 215
    Room 215

Hi Trevor,
    It's impressively written. A question: in what part of the world is corporal punishment still practiced in the schools? Another uncommon aspect of the story is the reference to going out in field service after school with dad.

• SYN
    SYN

This may have been written when corporal punishment was still the norm, a long time ago. Field service in the afternoons is rare though. Perhaps this guy's father was a pioneer?

[SYN], UADA - Unseen Apostate Directorate of Africa - For Great Justice!

• Prisca
    Prisca

Many aspects of this story are similar to mine. I was not allowed to join any school sports teams, not allowed to associate freely with the worldly kids at school, and I had to attend every meeting regardless of how much homework I had to do that night.

Corporal punishment was a part of the school system until recently, at least here in Australia. It's only been in the past decade or so that hitting school-children has been outlawed.

As Syn said, afternoon witnessing may not have been common, but it was encouraged by the Society as a way for school-children to participate in field service. Still is, I believe, but it isn't very popular.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hey Trevor,

In the days when I was in school, a congregation was called a <company> after the military since we were in a <Theocratic War> with the devil and <his> old world system. We had <service> an hour before the book study Tuesday nights. We had to be at the house where the study was held at 6:45 pm, left by 7 and did about one hour magazine work before the book study that started at 8 pm.

In winter it gets dark at 6 pm here. The neighborhoods were rough and dark, there were no sidewalks and dogs ran loose and nipped at our heals. Sometimes we would have a pack of dogs following us and barking and nipping at us. I started this when I was 7.

Every Wednesday night was <back call> night and we again met at 6:45 and did back calls till 9 pm.

Thursday evening we had to leave home at 6:30 pm to get to the hall by 7 because my dad was a group leader and liked to be there early. Often those Thursday night meetings lasted till 10 pm. It was not unusual for the Company men to meet after the meeting for a second meeting lasting till 11 pm. Then I had to go to school Friday with lack of sleep and no homework done all week at all.

gb

• animal
    animal

back in the 60'and 70's, the same thing held true for us kids.... no sports, no clubs, no friends... other than JW's. I was a big kid, over 6 feet in 9th grade. I was always asked to play football or basketball, but made up excuses rather than saying I wasnt allowed. Looking back, I was embarrassed to admit to being with JW's.

I missed out on learning team playing by not being allowed in any of the activities. Since we were told college wasnt gonna happen, I did manage to get into Vo-Tech, with the "bad kids", and had a blast... and learned lots.

My own kids now can do any activity they want, in school, as long as they finish it. They do goo, for the most part. Raising kids properly can be tuff when you had shitty parents.

• Dutchie
    Dutchie

Trevor, thanks for alerting us to your book publication. Enjoyed reading your posts.

Gary, I enjoyed reading your story too.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Room 215,

"The Rodney co-educational boarding school in Nottinghamshire, England, was the scene of probably the last of the well publicised canings of schoolgirls, and retained the use of the cane up until the total ban on corporal punishment in UK schools in mid 1998, the headmaster caned the boys and the school founder, Ms Joan Thomas, caned the girls."

The cane was banned from schools in the UK in 1986, this did not apply to Public Schools until 1998 BTW. (In UK, a Public school is where you pay for your child to attend, such as Eton or Harrow)

Englishman.

• aprostate
    aprostate

I was in elementary school in the 50's and high school in the 60's. I don't remember caning; but, I do remember going out in service in the evenings.

In high school I remember going to an assembly where everyone stood up for the pledge of allegiance. Of course I was the only one sitting and someone kicked me in the back. I was about 15 and I remember it was very embarrassing to me.

In elementary school I also remember being sent to the office when they would have birthday parties or other functions that I couldn't attend.

One day when I was only in about second grade the class was studying about George Washington. Because they were talking about celebrating his birthday I said that I couldn't listen to it. They called my mom in and my mom told me that I could learn about George Washington. I guess it was kind of confusing at 7 or 8 years old.

Cheri

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit