A recent discussion that had me stumped!

by Terry 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• Terry
    Terry

Okay--first off, I wasn't involved in the following conversation; I was eavesdropping!

You know how it is when you happen to be in a public place. You are minding your own business until you're not minding your own business

So, there I sat sipping my coffee. Two guys who were perhaps a father and son had been talking at a certain volume when I sat down that I could barely hear them until the topic changed or transitioned. The volume grew louder.

That's when I became a neutral 3rd party eavesdropper and started scrutinizing the details.

I gathered from the context the Dad was maybe a fundamentalist. The son? I don't know what he was except for the demonstrations he made against what his "Dad" was saying.

The topic seemed to be whether homosexuality was negative.

Of course, the Dad was using words like "abomination" and such quite unself-consciously and the son was deeply offended and embarassed.

I'm going to simulate the argument as best I can since I had no way to record it.

The reason I reproduce it here and create a discussion topic out of it will become clear.

I was stumped by something that was said. I couldn't get past it. I couldn't even assess it! Unusual for me, I must say.

Here goes...

Dad: "I don't agree. There is Normal and then there is homosexual which is NOT normal..."

Son: "That's how your generation felt about a lot of things. This is a new century and a new Millennium from when you were born."

Dad: "Right and wrong have no century or millennium; there is no shelf date!"

Son: "It isn't a question of Right or Wrong. It is prejudice, bigotry and oppression falling away and society deciding everybody is entitled to the same human rights!"

Dad: "Well, there is where you and I see very differently. Just because you grow accustomed to something you see everywhere doesn't make it Normal--it just makes it Usual. I don't confuse the two thing morally! You need to look at the morality first and the social acceptance thing as a lower priority."

Son: "I know when you were growing up calling somebody Queer was okay. It was Normal for young men to do that. Today it is bullying and antisocial harassment. Where is the morality in bullying somebody who is different from you?"

Dad: "I'm not saying it is okay to call names. That is always wrong. But, hiding behind political correctness doesn't make the problem go away."

Son: "Why is two people loving each other and wanting to spend their lives together such a threat to you?"

Dad: "When you make it out to be just that, of course it is a great thing. But, when it happens to be two people of the same sex you put more chips in the pot and you are gambling heavy stakes with the FAMILY unit. You are REdefining what it means to be a FAMILY."

Okay, you get the idea. We've all heard this sort of thing a million times. The older conservative religious guy and the young person struggling to break through the hard headed opinions set in concrete.

I was about to "tune-out" when it got really (for me) interesting!

Son: "Let me ask you a question. Okay?"

Dad: "Okay."

Son: "Did you ever sit down when you were young and DECIDE whether you wanted to be straight or gay?"

Dad: "No. Of course not."

Son: "Right. You were BORN straight."

Dad: "Of course I was!"

Son: "You say: of course. What you don't get is this. Some people aren't BORN straight. They know from the time they are very very young that they are not straight. The are BORN GAY."

Dad: "So?"

Son: "You accept what I just said? You believe right now that people are born a certain way and don't choose?"

Dad:"I don't know. Maybe most people are born one way or other. I'd have to know everybody in the world to say confidently. But, yes."

Son: "Then it is a question of WHAT IS FAIR! If somebody is born attracted to the same sex WHO ARE YOU to deny them their own nature?"

Note: This is where I knew the Son had won the argument.......or so I thought! I was in for a little surprise. The one that stumped me!

Dad: "You think that's all there is to it do you?"

Son: "Yes. It really really is all there is to it. Basic FAIRNESS."

Dad: "I knew a kid when I was growing up who just loved to start FIRES! He'd set fire to a trash can or the inside of somebody's car. All the time! He loved it. He tried to burn his grandmother's house down but a neighbor saw him in time and called the Fired Department. He told the police he 'couldn't help himself' he just had to do it. And I knew of another kid who was always trying to molest somebody's baby! He'd put his hand inside the diaper and fondle them! Disgusting! He was caught many times and always made an excuse. But, when we got older I heard him tell somebody that he wasn't turned on by anybody older!! WHAT ABOUT FAIRNESS FOR THESE KIND OF PEOPLE--should we tolerate people compelled to light fires and molest kids?"

Son: "What the F**K?"

And that is exactly what I was thinking when I overheard this!

At first it made me angry. But, as a rational argument I was stopped cold. My brain was stuck in the mud.

As a "rational" argument about FAIRNESS I think the Dad has grounds for leverage here.

He wasn't just equating homosexuality with perversion. He was changing the venue to being "born that way" with basic fairness!

If you can't "help" what turns you on should you be considered NORMAL and given equal human rights?

THERE HAVE TO BE BOUNDRIES for human behavior. Or--not?

The mere fact of "human nature" or what we are born with---becomes irrelevent at some crossover point---doesn't it?

Who decides?

How?

I'm stumped.

How can a Society draw a line on nature? On permission? On equal rights?

The nature of nature is that it is VARIED from case to case!

Any ideas or arguments to help sort this out?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Just because someone is born a certian way, doesn't mean that acting that way is in their best interest or societies or even the "right" thing to do.

That said, we tend to accept what I just wrote IF the behaviour in question is harmful to themselves and/or society.

• sir82
    sir82
    How can a Society draw a line on nature? On permission? On equal rights?

???

Not sure why it is so difficult.

You draw the line at whatever harms (or seriously threatens harm to) "innocent" (non-consenting) persons.

Homosexual sex between 2 consenting adults? Is anyone harmed? No. Then it should be OK.

Setting out of control fires in inhabited areas? Big danger to everyone around. Not OK.

Molesting babies? Babies can't give informed consent. The baby is harmed. Not OK.

Maybe you should have ordered a 2nd cup of coffee!

• cantleave
    cantleave

The question is about stepping on other people's rights.

The child molestor and the arsonist maybe born that way, but to practice their propensity means they step on the rights of others. Two consenting adults of the same sex, in love with each other do not harm anyone!

• Terry
    Terry

A child doesn't have informed consent.

The "legal" age becomes a slippery slope. Is 16 too young? 17, 18...?

That is really beside the point I'm wrestling with.

Being a pyromaniac is not a matter of informed consent.

Being a kleptomaniac is not a matter of informed consent.

There was an older kid on the block where I lived that would catch stray animals and put a firecracker in their butt and light it!

My grandmother called the police and they came out but didn't even arrest him!

I think we need to focus on something besides Normal and Abnormal.

What is HARM?

What if you have a very young teen (13) and an older guy and they both want to engage in something (fill in the blank)?

Consent doesn't really enter into it---does it? Wrong is wrong. Or is it? Who decides? How?

Child molesters are a horrifying problem AREN'T THEY?

Well, guess what? That is how people used to look upon homosexuality, too!

Are we heading toward a society that endorses EVERY natural inclination?

I need a deeper discussion!!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Yes, essentially it comes down to what harms society, versus what simply doesn't. Ed Gein arguably wasn't choosing to do anything wrong either; he just did what came naturally to him (note: don't read about Ed Gein unless you have a strong stomach). He deserved to be locked up so he couldn't cause harm to others, even though he was born that way.

But what if someone is born with the insatiable desire to stick bananas in their ears? Then we should let them, right? We don't argue that it's an unnatural use of fruit or that it endangers the traditions of people who like to eat bananas.

In short, the father didn't have any good points, he was just taught to mask his fear of different people by framing their lifestyle as dangerous to societal traditions.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Terry,

I feel for you but the reality is that the only way one can view a born natural inclination as acceptabe is IF it doesn't harm anothe rperson or themelves.

Something being natural in the sense that a person is born that way does NOT make it permissibale.

Some people are born with violent tendencies, some with fetishes that are dangerous to themseves and others, a born inclination that is dangerous to the person may even be viewed as a "birth defect" of sorts.

Basically what is permissiabel is NOT based on whether someone is born that way but if it harms themselves or another.

Of course that MAY lead us into a philosophical discussion as to whether homosexuality is truly harmless, but I don't think that is what you are asking.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Of course, the issue of harm CAN be a complicate done too, I mean, we would have to prove that an activity truly does HARM another annd prove to what degree.

And that can truly get us into a very trickly slope, so can the issue of consent.

• besty
    besty

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slippery_slope

"The heart of the slippery slope fallacy lies in abusing the intuitively appreciable transitivity of implication, claiming that A leads to B, B leads to C, C leads to D and so on, until one finally claims that A leads to Z. While this is formally valid when the premises are taken as a given, each of those contingencies needs to be factually established before the relevant conclusion can be drawn. Slippery slope fallacies occur when this is not doneā€”an argument that supports the relevant premises is not fallacious and thus isn't a slippery slope fallacy"

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

The Bible, nature, society says that the normal or natural relationship is heterosexual.

If an adult male has heterosexual attraction to female children, would engaging in such a relationship be appropriate? Of course not!

If two adults have homosexual attraction, would a relationship between the two be okay? They are consenting adults, it may go against religious morals, but should it be illegal?

I think you are mixing crime with morals. It would be wrong for a homosexual to rape another homosexual, he sure couldn't use the defense that he was compelled to do it, just as a heterosexual has no excuse to rape ... even if the rapist felt compelled.

One of the issues about Watch Tower's past irresponsible way of handling sexual abuse against children is that they seemed to deal only with it as a sexual sin and not a crime.

If a person feels the urge to set a fire, then they need to do it in a controlled and safe way, torching a home is a crime against others (even if it is just setting your own property ablaze, others are at risk and insurance fraud may come into it as well).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit