A recent discussion that had me stumped!

by Terry 53 Replies latest jw experiences

• designs
    designs

I remember when Jerry Lee Lewis married his cousin who was like 13 or 14, started a firestorm of issues on several levels.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The father realized during the discussion that he was losing the argument so he ended up starting a diversion by using other abstract anti-social

behaviors of violence and then placing homosexuality together with those behaviors.

This is really a nonsensical approach spite full a platitude of ignorance.

The older generation grew up thinking homosexuality was a just discretionary sin and actually not long ago sodomy was a crime which could

get you arrested if pursued.

Just a point to ponder on, there are many various abnormalities that can happen during human development before birth.

That being the case, why does it seem impossible or improbable that human genetic sexual identity can go off course as well from lets say normal

development ?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I remember when Jerry Lee Lewis married his cousin who was like 13 or 14, started a firestorm of issues on several levels.

Why?

• jgnat
    jgnat

The essence of the issue is "do no harm". The relationship must be consensual. For instance, an adult but paralyzed hospital patient is in a vulnerable, dependent position so if a staff member indulges in their prediliction, it is not consensual. Pyromaniac, high potential for harm. Kleptomaniac, did not receive permission from the victims.

Young adults who are dependent and living at home, not in a position to offer a consensual relationship.

So impulse control is still required in a civilized society.

• designs
    designs

'Why?' You're dialing in from Arkansas eh?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Besty brought out just what going to say .

The slippery slope fallacy. seems to come out when discussing homosexuality quite often.

There are acceptable and unacceptable guidelines toward HS as well , for example if a man sexualy accosts an under age

boy, that person would be punished for his actions due to age of the boy.

So you can see there are apparent constraints to protect innocence within the general population.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    'Why?' You're dialing in from Arkansas eh?

No, but you made my point there, didn't you?

Was the issue her age or being his cousin?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The essence of the issue is "do no harm". The relationship must be consensual. For instance, an adult but paralyzed hospital patient is in a vulnerable, dependent position so if a staff member indulges in their prediliction, it is not consensual. Pyromaniac, high potential for harm. Kleptomaniac, did not receive permission from the victims.

But people concent to harmful things all the time...

Young adults who are dependent and living at home, not in a position to offer a consensual relationship.

According to whom?

So impulse control is still required in a civilized society.

But only if the impluse is harmful right?

• cognisonance
    cognisonance

I love thinking about logic fallacies as it's the biggest tool in my toolbox for critical thinking so I appreciate this thread.

Terry, I think the main problem you are having is mistaking the Dad's Appeal to Extremes for the fallacious-logic-exposing technique of reducto ad absurdum.

The son says not, "... it is a question of WHAT IS FAIR! If somebody is born with any innate tendency WHO ARE YOU to deny them their own nature." Had the son argued for this, then the Dad's argument would be a reducto ad absurdum showing the fallacy in the Son's premise.

But of course, the son isn't saying that. He is talking specifically about homosexuals, and his father is substituting apples for organes via extremes (i.e. arguing pedophilia is an "extreme" form of homesexuality perhaps, and/or substituting the idea of a homosexual's innate nature with unrelated innate natures). From what I can tell this is an absuse of the reducto ad absurdum technique. In short, the father is making a form of a slippery slope argument (as besty has pointed out with regards to how his argument is affecting your thinking), as well as a strawman argument.

• designs
    designs

It was both her age and being a cousin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit