The Seeker Speaks

by Farkel 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Just off to the local Rite Aid to get an education, back in 5.

By the way Sulla, when I said testable proof for me to trust something is true, experience comes in to that category.

For example, I believe my wife will be ever faithful to me, and on the evidence of the last forty or so years, a Court would be satisfied that were the case.

Mind you, if she isn't I'll break his white stick and kick his guide dog !

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

Thomas Jefferson was able to despatch boredom and depression in his old age by studying what he'd learned in his youth

• Sulla
    Sulla

Hey Phiz. But don't other people have experiences of God, the transcendent, the spiritual, or whatever? Yet it seems to me you would discount these experiences as being able to offer insight into what is true. Or do you mean to say that you believe only your own experiences? I don't suppose so, since a very many people have relied on their own experiences and been led quite seriously astray: we can imagine a man whose experiences lead him to believe his wife loves him, until a different experience disabuses him of this idea, for example.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Sulla,

At first blush, I assumed you just had a reading comprehension problem, but your last post shows you to be a shameless prevaricator. It's a pity that when you get yourself stuck into a hole, you throw away your shovel and grab a bigger one.

What I opined in my thread topic is best summed up by the story of the parishioner who asked his religious master when a person would know for sure if he or she had found the meaning of life. The religious master replied, "if you are still living, you haven't."

I further opined that those who say they have not only found the truth for themselves, but for all others are wrong:

:I have discovered after six-and-a-half decades that those who say they have found the truth, the way, the path for themselves AND for all mankind, they are full of shit. If it were only that easy.

Here is what you wrote about my comments:

:As for the OP, that's just sophomoric prattle. Not so much wrong as, well, sophomoric. It reads like the thought process for a freshman philosophy paper rather than the reflection of a sexagenarian, wise from his travels.

You have not defined what you mean except that it is some vague "sophomoric prattle" and that it might not be wrong, but it is definitely sophomoric. You did not say WHY it was sophomoric, either; except the implication that since it is "sophomoric", it must somehow not be worthy of your giant intellect.

You then pulled an opinion right out of where the sun-don't-shine that a sexagenarian, "wise from his travels" would never think the way I do. You don't say why, you just flat out make that claim. You give no evidence and no examples, just invective. So I said this:

:Furthermore, since all you did in this thread is hurl invective at me and not address a single point, nor even respect my obvious opinions...

Now, the board has just seen what you DID say, but here comes your big LIE where you said you said what you never said:

:Of course I addressed your point, Farkel. Your point is the entirely sophomoric observations that it's the journey that matters, keep seeking (even though it's all shit) because that's how we grow, which is the important thing (for some reason), and whatever you may find that works for you is great because it works for you (though you are quite certain it's all shit), just make sure not to get all fussy about how whatever works for you is, like, the thing that is going to work for, like, everybody. Just make sure to be willing to change, 'cause you have to change or else nothing will change.

:You find all that on a series of greeting cards? Decades of personal reflection and exhaustive reading of all the sacred texts could have been saved had you simply bothered to browse the "thinking of you" section at the local Rite Aid.

What you said you said, but you never first said is more like an argument, but now you are pretending that is what you said in the first place. Now you'll probably come back and say, "oh, I thought EVERYONE knew what I was saying when I said sophomoric. Only an idiot wouldn't know I needed to explain it with MY OWN OPINION."

By the way, a whole lot of wisdom can be found in greeting cards at Rite Aid. And also by the way, a whole lot sexagenarians buy them and benefit from them, even those who are "wise from their travels."

You arrogant twit.

Farkel

• Farkel
    Farkel

Sulla,

By the way, the late, esteemed Dr. Joseph Campbell an octogenarian who WAS "wise from his travels" DID read "all the sacred texts." He even wrote a book about it.

It was called "The Power of Myth." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

How do I know this? I know this because I met him at a Rite Aid when he was buying some greeting cards.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Farkel

• Sulla
    Sulla

Don't you know, Farkel, that we sometimes grow more by bending with the wind than by standing in defiance of it? I mean, one thing I've learned is that if you love something you should let it go; if it comes back, it's yours but if it doesn't, in never really was.

• Farkel
    Farkel

sulla,

: Don't you know, Farkel, that we sometimes grow more by bending with the wind than by standing in defiance of it?

Are you telling me to go get bent?

Farkel

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“…we sometimes grow more by bending with the wind than by standing in defiance…”

And sometimes we gain an unwanted bit of learning by bending over rather than standing in defiance.

Speaking of defiance…

If “Paradox and confusion are guardians to the gateway of truth” then he who stirs $hit up to put paradox and confusion in our faces is the mother of goodness.

My advice to Farkel:

- Keep kickin ass brother!

- Keep stirring the pot.

It’s good for the flow. It’s good for the brain. It helps sleepers awaken.

But then, you already know all that (and more) and don't need my advice. Right?

Marvin Shilmer

• Emery
    Emery

Farkel is an invaluable resource to us all

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

we are all just little nothing pissants in the galaxy, yet we still need good leaders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3yVzfns77Y

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit