40 years on - and still in Damage Control mode!

by Bungi Bill 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• crmsicl
    crmsicl

good luck. I like your attitude. It will work for you.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

Thanks for sharing Bill. Best wishes and thanks for the personal advice to younger ones to get an education. I'm also impressed that you did not give up when you hit a bump! Go for it.

I just finished my last class of a four year degree program, It was mostly online. My wife finished an associates degree and is now a RN. We are both around 50 years old. You will do just fine.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

I have just passed the half way mark with the Advanced Diploma course.

With the technical subjects so far covered, there has been little that was new to me - coming as I do from a trade background with 35+ years industry experience. However, the "Fundamantals of Professional Engineering" component has been very worthwhile, particularly the computer software programs that are available to assist in project management work.

At this rate, I should complete the course by the end of this year.

Bill.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Bill, of course I wish you luck, but I think you do not need luck really, you have the experience, the brain, and the desire to achieve your goals.

I admire what you are working for, and believe me, it is so worthwhile, it is impossible to get the kind of employment you will want, and need, when you are a bit older (too old to countenance 11 hour days ! ), and the qualifications will open up new opportunities for you, and a life you will enjoy.

Good luck, keep working at it, and I wish you complete success.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Yay Bungi Bill!

Good mind . Good goals. Great future !

LL

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Bungi Bill, that.is.awsome!!!!!!!!!!

• talesin
    talesin

That is so excellent to read, Bill! It's great, too, that getting this Certificate is something where you are learning new things, and not just jumping through a bureaucratic hoop.

Good on ya! *big grins*

tal

• gingerbread
  • Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

Here is the latest on this one:

- today, I just received my graduation pack from the Engineering Institute of Technology (EIT), confirming that I have been awarded an Advanced Diploma in Electrcical Engineering, with "A" passes in all subjects.

The next step should now follow without any geat drama - i.e. application for Membership of the Institute of Engineers.

To those prize specimens who wrote that 1969 Awake article about "all young persons facing the fact that you will never grow old in This System" (me being 14 years old when that came out), I hoist the good old two-fingered salute to the bloody lot of you!

This evening, I celebrated by downing three full-strength beers. I may have taken something stronger, except for having to go through the breathalyser process at 0500 hrs tomorrow morning, and this site has a zero-tolerance drug and alcohol policy (plus the fact I had to send one of my staff home last week for "blowing a few numbers" in that morning's breathalyser test!)

Further, now having an engineering qualification under my belt, I have just thrown my cap into the ring for the Maintenance Superintendent's job at a major aluminium refinery (I believe those of you in North America both spell and pronounce this word as "Aluminum"?), which is within driving of my home. Hopefully, I will now be able to score a decent job without having to Fly-In/ Fly-Out to some site in the "Never Never" (to use that Australianism!). My family will be very happy about that, anyway, should I be successful.

Bill.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    A wish of continued good luck in your endeavors. Congratulations on the diploma.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit