The CO asked for money tonight at the meeting.

by life is to short 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• life is to short
    life is to short

I was shocked I do not know why as I have read that the CO's were doing this but to hear it with my own ears was unbelievable. I do not go to the meetings but my husband still does and this week is the CO's visit. I decided that I would listen in to his talk; I swear I have lost some brain cells by doing it but anywho.

He started out by talking about the old story that has been in the WT many times about a little boy who was seven and raised a chicken and gave the money to the Society. The CO went on and on and on about how wonderful that was and how we here in the US have so much and how that dollar that little boy gave could have feed his family, etc but no he gave it all to Jehovah. How we here in the US throw away stuff that the little boy would love to have. Plus what we have really is Jehovah's anyway right? So why should we hold back from giving to Him.

Now if that was not bad enough he does stop. He goes on about our giving our time in field service etc, but then he went back to the money part and he said when he was a little boy a CO told him to pick up every penny if he saw it while he was in service and put it in the contribution box. He then laughed and said that a penny is really nothing to day and he was dating himself, but if we find a dime on the street and there always seems to be money that people just throw down out in the streets, so if every publisher would just put one dime into the box each month it would add up to three quarters of a million dollars per publisher per month.

He went on and on about how many publisher there were 7 plus million. What I was thinking is what about the publishers in the country's where they are supper poor and they cannot afford to give a dime, and there is not money just laying on the streets like we have here in the rich US.

It was all just a huge guilt trip. It was so amazing they have to be hurting for money to have the CO's giving this talk.

LITS

• Satanus
    Satanus

'How we here in the US throw away stuff that the little boy would love to have.'

I would volunteer to send that little boy a bunch of eggs, so he can raise a bunch of chickens for the wt society. Call up the co and ask for the boys address;)

S

• Iamallcool
  • Honeybucket
    Honeybucket

I've heard that little boy story before. I think the society gives the CO's and the DO's a list of bullshit storys that are meant to pull at your heart strings and your wallet strings.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I suggest you tell your husband, "You heard him. Put in a dime every month- no more. When they talk about other needs like C.O. car insurance or circuit needs, remember you already gave your dime."

7 million dimes a month is $700,000 a month. Sounds like plenty to me too.

LITS, read a pm I sent you.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I've heard that talk, I'm sure, and I live in Australia where we haven't had pennies since 1966.

I'm sick of their guilt tripping. At every assembly when they stand you up in the arvo for the announcments I think, "Here comes the money-grubbing line again." And guess what friends, it's gonna get worse because an elder told me just this week that the donations aren't coming in anymore!

Sit tight and watch.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

i was surprised, right before i left, a guy was giving a sunday talk and used an illustration that i thought was pretty good. so after the meeting i was talking to him and i said, yea i thought that illustration was pretty good.....do you know what he said? as i cannot remember verbatim, he said something to the effect of "yea they give us a bunch of them on a list and then we can just pick which we want to use".....was like wow, that sounds very...impressive.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Putting joke-hova ahead of personal survival is blatantly wrong. Would joke-hova ever put itself in hardship just so you can have a little extra luxury? Try asking joke-hova to go into debt or other serious hardship so you can get a higher purity of gold in your ring, a slightly bigger stone (or slightly higher quality), or take a vacation in New Zealand instead of merely visiting a city a short distance from where you live (or, if you live in New Zealand, taking an African safari instead of a drive to Rotorua or Queenstown). I doubt joke-hova would concede.

Yet, why does that thing get the right to insist that children give up playthings, or even food, just so joke-hova (who supposedly owns everything) can get a little more? Does joke-hova itself derive value out of silver and gold? Or those toilet papers you need to spend to secure yourself while you still can? I don't think so.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

CptKirk:

I've never seen an actual list of illustrations from the Society unless he meant going to the WT Libary as a source of illustrations. That would be interesting to find out that some had something like that was available to some.

But in fact, in religious bookstores, back in the section where 'pastor' supplies/books are located, you can usually find books full of illustrations for use in talks or sermons.

• mP
    mP

Why doesnt jehovah just give them next weeks lotto numbers ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit