RELIGULOUS...Please watch it.

by Fed-up 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I'm never really impressed by someone going out of their way to mock someone else's beliefs. As Larsinger said, it's always the view of an outsider who just wants to make fun of people that he thinks he's entitled to look down upon. I haven't seen this movie, just clips from it, but I know I wouldn't like it because I'm never impressed by the superficial criticism that comes from comedians pretending to be philosophers. I have the same problem with folks like Hitchens and Stewart. Carlin seemed to have more insightful criticisms, from what little I know about his material.

• tec
    tec

I am glad others voiced the falseness in the 'christ-myth' claims. I researched that a long while back also because these are the same claims that Zeitgeist makes, and found that these claims have been shown to be false. Leo has done a few threads on this as well.

Peace,

tammy

• Gopher
    Gopher

Agnophos said:

I'm never really impressed by someone going out of their way to mock someone else's beliefs. As Larsinger said, it's always the view of an outsider who just wants to make fun of people that he thinks he's entitled to look down upon. I haven't seen this movie, just clips from it, but I know I wouldn't like it

Actually atheists are in the minority, and religionists perpetually go "out of their way" to mock them.

Oh you haven't actually seen the movie? Never mind then.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Atheists and others think that just because God doesn't appear to the general public or to them that he does not appear to other individuals.

I should know better than to reply to Lars, but here goes:

Who are these "others" that you refer to? Are they believers who have the opinion that people like you who claim to have mystical visions of some sort are deluded?

Aren't people who think that these "God visions" are phony entitled to say so? Let's say for the sake of argument such appearances actually did happen. Then the questions are, who does God choose to give these visions to? And why is he so damn secretive? Why can't he just be like a normal "father" and be real to everyone, instead of mysteriously appearing to a very small number and even then saying different things to different people?

Did God really appear to Oral Roberts in the 1980's and tell him that if he didn't raise a certain number of millions of dollars, that God would call him to heaven?

It seems to me that most of the time, when people make claims of such divine appearances, that they can make their God say whatever they want him to say. And that's why I'm very very skeptical.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos
    Actually atheists are in the minority, and religionists perpetually go "out of their way" to mock them.

Hmm, is this alleged mocking taking place anywhere on this forum? I only seem to see atheists mocking the religious, but maybe that's just me.

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58
    Gopher: Who are these "others" that you refer to? Are they believers who have the opinion that people like you who claim to have mystical visions of some sort are deluded?

Actually, I noted this from a purely academic point of view. That is, the key basis for not believing God is that he is not appearing like he did to Moses or performing any miracles. If he did, then everybody would know God is real.

But what if God and Christ make personal appearances to a few select individuals, but want those individuals to keep it secret for now? All that means is that some people know in advance of Armageddon that God is real. When Armageddon comes, though, then everybody will be on the same page, just like everybody was on the same page once it started to rain and flood in Noah's Day. Same scenario is supposed to happen in our times, right?

Now, I, of course, have personally spoken with Jehovah and seen him directly as far as in a vision as with any prophet. But I'm a huge exception to the rule since I'm the Christ. But the actions of holy spirit is very evident and active among the elect. Plus the "sign of the son of man" which I have a photograph of and which appears in the "Revelation" book is real as well! So evidence of God and the truth of the Bible is a confirmation for those God chooses to provide that confirmation to. To others, he doesn't mind to let them keep guessing until Armageddon. That's just the way Jehovah has set it up.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Hmm, is this alleged mocking taking place anywhere on this forum? I only seem to see atheists mocking the religious, but maybe that's just me.

I never mock Lars...he IS the Christ........he speaks to me directly through JWN

• flipper
    flipper

Religulous is freaking awesome ! My wife and I own it on DVD and watch it at least once a year. Maher is funny, honest, direct to the point and exposes the cracks in organized religion very well. I like how at the end of the movie he says something like , " If anybody tells you they KNOW God is going to destroy you , or the end of the world is coming, don't believe it. They don't know themselves so they cannot have all the answers. " Something of that nature. But a great exposure of organized religion . If anybody here hasn't watched it and you are exiting the JWs do yourself a favor and watch it. Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Me: Actually atheists are in the minority, and religionists perpetually go "out of their way" to mock them.
    Agnophos: Hmm, is this alleged mocking taking place anywhere on this forum? I only seem to see atheists mocking the religious, but maybe that's just me.

In the context of the title of this thread, I was talking about society at large. At least where I'm from, we non-believers are a small subset of society and are indeed mocked. They put "under God" in the USA pledge of allegiance and "In God We Trust" on our currency as a slap at people like us. (You know, during the big communist scare of the 1950's which somehow meant atheists couldn't be patriotic.)

What I think about this forum: It is somewhat different from society at large. Many came here very weary of religion and people preaching their beliefs. So any further preaching on a place often proves irritating to many who don't want to be preached at any more. I think there's give and take here - both sides have their say. There are Christian ex-JW sites people can go to if they want to talk about the wonders of God and the Bible without being doubted.

• Gopher
    Gopher

"Christ" said:

But what if God and Christ make personal appearances to a few select individuals?

My reply is:

What if God and Christ make personal appearances to a few select individuals?

(That's a big "What if".)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit