RELIGULOUS...Please watch it.

by Fed-up 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Watching "Religulous" made me stop believing in the Jesus Christ story. My narrow-minded JW understanding was that the story was absolutely unique in the world, but Maher pointed out that the Christ story had been floating around the Mediterranean for centuries in one form or another before Christ came on the scene.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Uhh...you better do some checking on Maher's claims regarding those other "messiahs" before accepting them hook, line and sinker. He did a lot of stretching of facts. I'd also do some checking into messianic prophecies, especially the last few verses of Isaiah 52 and the entire chapter of Isaiah 53. There are many more allusions: the riding of the coal into the city on Passover, the return of Christ to the Mount of Olives to save the Jews during the battle of Armageddon, being born in Bethlehem, of being pierced, and so forth. In fact, this last scripture would make if difficult for me not to believe in Christ:

And I [Jehovah] will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced , and they shall mourn for him , as one mourneth for his only son , and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn . (Zech. 12:10)

In this scripture, Jesus appears in heaven and descends upon the holy city, which lies in ruins. Gog's army is systematically taking over the rest of the city when they see a man descending out of heaven clothed with white and wearing a red robe symbolizing that he has tread the winepress alone. The survivors amongst the Jews will begin moving towards the Mount of Olives, which is where the messiah is prophesied to return. As he approaches, both the Jews and Gog and his army will look in wonder. But within moments, Gog and his army (except a sixth of them) will burst into flames, for no man can see God and live. Only the Jews and the remaining sixth of the invading army, will be spared, for the Spirit of God will come upon them and preserve them, just as it did Moses when he spoke face to face with God on the mount. The scriptures say that the destruction would be so horrific and widespread that survivors would spend seven months burying the bodies and as many years burning their weapons. (See Ezek. 38-38)

Bill Maher isn't the first atheist who has graced this earth with his presence, nor will he be the last. And he's wholly incapable of thinking any thought that has not already been thought by people who came before. The scriptures also say that in earlier days, the judgments that the Lord will send upon the earth would have convinced the wicked to repent. But in our day, their natural inclination (education?) is such that their tendency will be to curse God and die. But the Lord later states that they will not be able to "utter" against him, for, he adds, he shall not be mocked.

Again, we live in an age when many will be deceived by false prophets. That doesn't mean that everyone who claims to be a prophet will be false, nor does it mean that those not claiming to be prophets cannot be false prophets. Thus, if you were a Christian, please reconsider. But also know that one doesn't have to be a Jehovah's Witness to be a Christian. For not one Old or New Testament prophet ever foretold the rise of that organization as God's premier church on the earth. They have, in my view, failed to see that Jehovah of the Old Tesatment is the Jesus Christ of the New; plus they have erred in their prophecies of Armageddon.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Loved it

• still thinking
    still thinking

I thought it was funny... it did come accross somewhat staged. But, it was still funny.

I also LOVED the Life of Brian....he's NOT the Messiah...he's just a VERY naughty boy. Now, GO AWAY!

• jhine
    jhine

cobaltcupcake , I agree with Cold Steel ,

there are lots of Christian denominations that really are Christian , not cults like the Watchtower .

you should really learn to question everything , people fell hook line and sinker for some of the "facts " given in the Da Vinci Code , Dan Brown was less than factual in order to make a good story , if you care to check . Maybe your time in the Watchtower disinclined you to independant research . If people in the org . really checked stuff out they would be VERY surprised .

peolpe will , unfortunately , bend the Truth for their own ends in all sorts of scenarios . Look for the truth on your own , in the bible , in the teachings of the early church , Tertullian etc and accept nothing you are told at face value .

seek and you will find God bless

• Chaserious
    Chaserious

Watched it a while back. I thought it was very funny and pointed out some of inconsistencies of religion, both mainstream and fringe. My wife didn't like it and thought it was disrespectful and mean spirited, even though neither of us has been religious since leaving. I can see that side also. I did think he was hard not only on the man who owned the store, but also on the truck stop chapel guys. I know he was trying to make the point that it doesn't matter if you have good intentions, but they seemed very kind and sincere. My favorite parts were the scenes with the gay counselor and the creation amusement park (although that would have been entertaining by itself, really).

• Larsinger58
    Larsinger58

This was funny, but it is the perspective of an outsider.

Atheists and others think that just because God doesn't appear to the general public or to them that he does not appear to other individuals. Jehovah has appeared to me personally when I became the Christ, so I know for a fact directly that God is real. So for some of us, this is just a response by those who don't know for sure. But the elect, who have seen the "sign of the son of man" and who see the activity of holy spirit, or some "prophets" like myself who have more direct interaction with God and Christ (i.e. I saw Christ once before we became one) know that atheism and the skepticism of those brave enough to make fun of God or reason that he does not exist is just a joke!

So some things that might seem logical because of lack of evidence, can still be wrong in the end.

• sabastious
    sabastious

"GROW UP OR DIE!" was essentially the message of that movie. I liked how it exposed corruption and greed, but then the same message of doom and gloom is painted by the atheists! Us believers are apparently just being childish fools who can't get over our fear of death and it will eventually destroy us all. God is not a childish concept, there are just many childish concepts of God out there. Bill Maher has some growing up to do himself, imo.

-Sab

• Fed-up
    Fed-up

I can't remember if he said it this plainly, but one of the thoughts I got from the whole thing was "The only thing that is going to save the Human Race is...The Human Race"

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Ya I was buying into the "Christ Myth" story as well, but it turned out to be false as well. Everyone has an agenda I suppose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit