One Partaker

by Jourles 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles

The memorial last night was nothing new. The routine never changes. Two congregations joined together for the night in one building. When we walked through the front door, brothers standing by explained that we were to sit in our "designated congregational area." As we approached the seats, the brothers were holding placards with the congregation names along with having placards taped to the end of the seating rows showing where we were supposed to sit. This was new to me, as in the past I remember attending a memorial where two congregations attended, but the seating was not split. Is this a new arrangement? After it was over, I remember the brothers were telling each other what the count was for both halls. Still, why is it so damn important to have separate counts? Does not the total amount in attendance all that matter to them in the end anyways?

Sitting in the third row from the front, I could see the bread plates and wine very clearly. All four wine glasses appeared to have been painstakingly measured when poured. You could see a straight line between all of the glasses where the wine levels matched each other. The bread was barely noticeable. The clear glass plates on which the bread rested on almost seemed to make the bread disappear as the bread was so thin lying on the plate. There were two tables set up. One for our congregation, and one for the other.

The talk began and I started to doze with my eyes slightly open. When the speaker started with the "little sheep, great crowd" tune, I snapped out of my conscious sleep. There was one phrase which he said that made me uncomfortable. He began with statistical data explaining that with over "15 million in attendance last year and with only 8,700 partaking, the chances of one of us partaking is one in 1,700. ONE, in 1,700." He emphasized that number clearly, and made a point to pause and look around at the audience. He said that "it would be rare for us to be in a congregation which would have a partaker present among us." He then continued with the part which made me thoroughly uncomfortable, "...that would mean that no one here in attendance tonight should be partaking." What? Say again? Exactly where do you get off telling US who will be and who will not be partaking tonight, mister? I thought, what if there was someone who claimed to be of the annointed and was in town visiting relatives or something? How rude.

Once the bread was beginning to be passed, it became deadly quiet. No kids talking, nothing. Eerie. The speaker broke the silence with some small talk about Christendom and how they need special wafers with a special seal on one side blah blah blah. Just after he quieted down, about two seconds later, <<<crunch>>>. I never did get to see who took the bite as they were seated somewhere directly behind me. I could not bring myself to do a 180 in my chair. But when I looked to my left, heads were turned to that specific area to the rear behind me. The looks were not of ellation or happiness, but rather of horrified, shocked expressions. That immediately triggered my "aposto" radar. I began thinking if that person was a regular visitor to this board. Did I know this person from their posts? Later on I would hear disparaging remarks made about them. With the silence in the building, I could clearly hear the crunching of the bread, even with their mouth closed. I tried not to smile as the speaker looked towards the rear at this person with a somewhat scolding look. I wish these events were filmed on camera. That would have been a classic moment!

Next was the wine. The little girl sitting next to me kept turning back and forth in her chair for the last ten minutes. I think she was getting restless and wanted to jump out of her seat and run around. I almost giggled out loud when the prayer was given over both the bread and the wine. She asked her mother sitting next to her if it was over - after both prayers. Smart kid. I had wished it was over too so we could leave and go eat. Anyways, once the wine was returned to the table, I was looking for the evidence. There it was plain as day. The second glass from the right was down about a half an inch or so compared to the others. I thought, Good for them! Show this brother that there can be partakers in this crowd when he said there should not be!

Once the "celebration" was over and everyone was partied out, plans were made with others to visit one of the local eating establishments. While these plans were being formulated, I noticed four of our elders from our hall gathered together near the rear of the building. Reading their looks and the way they were talking to each other, I could only imagine that they were talking about this partaker that had surfaced. Later on at dinner, it came out who this person was.

All of us arrived at the local eatery. And I do mean ALL OF US. The other congregation must have made the same plans to visit the same place. We were about second or third to arrive. After about ten minutes of waiting for the host to put together a table for 18, car loads and car loads of more witnesses showed up. You could tell the host and waitresses were getting that stressed look seeing everyone come in at once.

We were finally seated and the small chitchat started. First thing that was asked was, "Who was that person that partook?" One of the elders that was in that pow-wow earlier was at my table. He explained that someone who was df'd a few years ago made his way to the memorial by way of an invite from a relative. I guess he even surprised his own relative by partaking that night. A sister asked if he was going to be counted, and he said no. If he was df'd, then they would not be counted as he was merely doing it to disgrace the memorial or to prove a point.

Other than a great dinner, the night was fairly worthless. I always feel uncomfortable at the memorial when the emblems are passed. I guess I do not know the point of passing them over, say, just going up to the table and looking at them. If we are going to pass them, why not partake also? Why go only half way? If Jesus passed the emblems to his apostles to eat, why not do it today? I have come to accept that this is the WTS's way of being different from the world and having their own little communion, ala WT style.

And so much for the 1-in-1700 statistics and saying that no one should be partaking. Maybe the speaker will revise his talk next time if he gives it again.

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

Jourles,

Thank you for your very vivid post. I could almost hear the "crunch". I was in a congragation once where there was a disfellowshipped "apostate" older sister, who would try to comment at the watchtower and would partake at the memorial. It used to really piss the brothers off who were passing around the "snacks".

Shimmer

Maybe being oneself is alway an acquired taste.-----PATRICIA HAMPL

• openminded
    openminded

Sounds like I didnt miss much. In our area, I hear they rounded up a lot of Bosnian refugees. From what I know of these people, they are hungry and very needy. I wonder if any of them were tempted to munch on the memorial goodies.

om

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Still, why is it so damn important to have separate counts? Does not the total amount in attendance all that matter to them in the end anyways?

Probably so that they could dog the ones in the congregations that didn't attend.

Farkel

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Outstanding post! It really chaps my hide when persons down talk others who partake (df or not). How do they know who God calls? This is the first JW memorial I have missed in 33 years! And I think I am better for it.......

• singsongboi
    singsongboi

i know that 'shock' at hearing the crunch...

in a small (new) country congregation where i was once sent to pioneer, an interested woman, invited to attend, decided it was not too different to her church, and partook I(ugly witness term). you could hear the shock as she crunched the hard bread.

we decided to report her partaking but with a footnote describing her circumstances.

but!! it did get talked about for months...

• LDH
    LDH

Jourles,

I don't know if it was your intent to make me laugh but the snot's flying dude.

This is one of the best posts I have ever read.

One of the things that makes it particularly stand out is that the brother basically said, "Don't partake." I wonder if this was the directive from the Society to make the numbers keep going down. I mean, it's going to look real bad if all of a sudden this year the numbers shoot up to 15,000 who partook.

I have made up my mind. Next year I will go and partake.

Lisa

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

I'm not a JW and have never attended the Memorial. I am curious as to the Scripture that is read that night. Is something read that explains the reason for not partaking?

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Just the fact that they COUNT who partakes and they keep a record of who does always made me sick.

• jesussaves
    jesussaves

I also know about that crunch! My mom suffered from a nervous breakdown when I was a little girl, and after that, she was convinced that she was 'anointed'. She used to eat the crackers and drink the wine. I remember this sister saying to my mom real sarcastically,
    "L____ we've got to go out in service. I've never worked with one of the anointed . <<<<crunch>>>>> LOL!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit