First [brief] conversation w/elder for years

by AK - Jeff 23 Replies latest jw friends

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

@ QUENDI

People will have different but very sound opinions to yours, but I agree with you.

I am still in, but over the past 4 years have come to know TTATT. I refuse to accept "privileges", thereby keeping out of the controlling grasp of those who wish to turn me into a "company man".

I also try to "plant seeds" with my answers - usually by including Scriptures which have been excluded from the item under discussion.

Many months ago, I was discussing with my sister the subject of the WTBTS finances being in trouble. Having spoken to her before about such things as membership of the U.N. and attending OSCE seminars, this was the last straw for her - she slammed the 'phone down on me!

I haven't bothered her & her elder husband since, and she hasn't resumed contact either. The view I take is this; I ain't gonna impose myself on someone who has made it clear they want to avoid me. I have a life to live - and I won't sit around moping because someone doesn't have/want the truth to change their thinking and beliefs.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

He behaved in exactly the manner he was programmed to behave.

Scary.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

"When are you coming back? We miss abusing you! You were our favorite."

• Gopher
    Gopher

On a different thread, somebody made a very insightful remark: Growing up as a JW tends to infantalize people.

Those who stay JW in their older age stay as "infants", in that they often do not have social or coping skills so as to interact on par with other adults.

This "are you coming back" thing seems to indicate that YOUR opinion of their religion matters too much to them. If you are inclined to come back, that means you approve of them and they are happy. If you are not inclined to come back, you disapprove and this makes them insecure.

Mature adults can actually tolerate people who have different views of religion, politics, etc. and still function with them on other levels. Jehovah's Witnesses who go along with the organization and shun people with different views, are behaving like insecure infants IMHO.

• Quendi
    Quendi

This has been a good thread for me to read. Thanks, AK-Jeff, for starting it. I especially liked what Gopher shared with his remarks. The notion that Witnesses are seeking approval from others about their religion is a new one for me to consider but it makes perfect sense as does the idea that many, if not most, Witnesses are “infantilized.” The possible responses to the obtuse elder were good ones as well.

It has been nearly three years since I last stepped inside a kingdom hall. I don’t think I could stand sitting in a meeting for more than five minutes nowadays. That’s because it seems to me that the siege mentality among Jehovah’s Witnesses grows more pronounced with the passing of time. From what I’ve read of recent Watchtower study articles, the Governing Body is tightening the noose around the membership’s collective neck, but nobody is protesting. These developments only make me rejoice all the more that I’m out.

Quendi

• Listener
    Listener

Doing their sheppherding business in the toilet is not appropriate.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Demeaning people who have left the organization is part of what JWs do, it complacently uplifts their own personal spiritual identity

and devotion toward the organization.

JWS are brain washed mentally controlled people and the don't really know it , which is the real sad unfortunate part.

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

People forget that prior to 1980, JWs who left the organization could do so WITHOUT being treated as a DF'd person. From 1980 and on-ward they were to be treated as a DF'd person. Think about how this has effected JWs thinking and reasoning. When someone leaves this religion MOST - if not all - JWs also draw the conclusion that the reason the person is leaving is BECAUSE they sinned and want to continue to live a life of sin.

However, the truth is that so many JWs leave the religion for the SAME reason they left pre-1980. It's because they could no longer in good conscience stay in a religion that is touted as "the truth" when they no longer believe that. And it's that simple! Of course, after the great apostasy of 1980, the WTS had to invent a rule that would prevent these exJWs from associating and possibly spreading what they have learned that lead them to the belief that the JW religion is just another religion [and NOT "the Truth"]- nothing special!

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I also noticed that instead of calling each other 'Brother Dan' or 'Brother Jim' like a tight knit group would, they use the family name and say 'Brother Smith' and 'Brother Jones'.

What a cold impersonal bunch.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"Jeff, I just wanted to ask you if you are planning on ever coming back?"

"Good to see you too. The family is okay, thanks for asking. Yes, it was a strain on them losing my mother and brother and mother in law. I thought I would never go back, but you are so encouraging. People's concerns for me are really so heartwarming. I am sure I will be at the meeting this week."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit