First [brief] conversation w/elder for years

by AK - Jeff 23 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

In my area, I am labeled an 'active apostate', among other things I am sure. I live in a very small town, and bump into elders who hate me beyond words. If they could, I am sure they would gladly stone me before the entire villiage while chanting 'Apostate, apostate.'

There is one elder that I continually run into, as he is a department manager at the local grocery store. He has typically found novel ways to avoid making eye contact [or worse] with me. On more than one occasion he has spotted me, ducked behind a cartful of meat or produce and hid behind it as he made a cottontail dash for the store room to hide until I left the store.

Well, this week, while shopping I happened into the men's room at the same time he was there. He was just making his way to the sink to wash his hands when I entered the room. It was just he and I - face to face. I just kept walking toward the urinal and over the stall I heard him washing his hands. I kept thnking it was taking him a very long time to wash up, and then I heard him drying them, also taking a very long time. Finally, I emerged from the stall to see him looking directly in my direction. He said " Jeff, I just wanted to ask you if you are planning on ever coming back?" No hello, how is the family, oh by the way sorry to hear of your dead mother and brother and mother in law. Or even, nice to see you are still alive. Or, how have you been in these past 10 years? Just business as usual. Are you coming back?

I just told him 'No, never."

We both nodded and he rabbitted to the exit.

What assholes. Status is all that matters. His status first of all, making sure he 'approached' me in a place no one could ever see. And my 'status' with the organization.

Real relationships just don't exist for these zombies.

Jeff

• Gopher
    Gopher
    Jeff, I just wanted to ask you if you are planning on ever coming back?

Yes I'll be coming back to this store, I need food for the house.

I might, if you leave.

I might have if you first said hello and treated me like a human.

I'll come back for one Sunday if you let me speak to the whole congregation for 30 minutes without interruption about a topic of my choice.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

To what, a proven apostate organization?

zed

• whathappened
    whathappened

The man is a coward. He is afraid of you. He didn't ask why, it was an inappropriate time and place for a discussion. I would honestly complain to the store manager. This was not right for him to approach you while you were there shopping. He crossed a line he shouldn't have. You are probably too nice to get him in trouble, I bet.

• Quendi
    Quendi

It has been nearly eight years since I was disfellowshipped and that time has convinced me that few active Witnesses know the meaning of real friendship. Your experience with this elder parallels the ones I’ve had with active Witnesses. The first question I’ve been asked is, “Are you coming back?” Never has my health, life activities, status of family members or even my residence been the question. They only want to know if I plan on returning to the cage the organization really is.

All Witnesses can think about is the status individuals have in the organization. If you are out, when will you return? If you are in, what congregation do you attend? When did you last pioneer? What privileges have you recently enjoyed? What “theocratic” plans do you have for the future?

This attitude is one of the reasons I do not go out of my way to speak to any Witnesses I chance to meet. I know some think it is right to force Witnesses to acknowledge your presence if you are disfellowshipped or have disassociated or have faded. I strongly disagree with this because it is clear that if you’re out, Witnesses want nothing to do with you. I see no reason to create some confrontation just to gratify my ego through making them feel uncomfortable. That is neither Christian nor loving. If they don’t want my association, I sure don’t want theirs to even the minimal degree. I’m better off without it.

Quendi

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

AK - Jeff>>>Gopher>>>Quendi...

In my opinion, you guys are true men among boys. The Watch Tower Society our the apostates. You are the enlightened ones.

Just Lois

• Pickler
    Pickler

What arrogance on behalf of that elder, not even a "hello" first? In his JW mind he has every right to speak to you, you have no feelings to be considered at all?

I second what Lois says, you guys are the men....they are I don't know what......malicious, unthinking infants!?

• jam
    jam

Why would anyone in their right mind consider going

back to a organization that have treated you like sh--t for

years. It,s beyond comprehension.

My brother ask when are you coming back, I told him

are you nuts.

• cptkirk
  • new22day
    new22day

What an anti-social goof. I'm from a small town years ago and know how hard it is to have a private life. Good for you. He's a nut job and you're a free man. Hold your head high and proud, just as you did!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit