w92 7/15: "It is the obligation of all JWs to hate apostates"

by cedars 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

Today I was doing some research for a new article, and I came across the following quote which succeeded in raising my eyebrows...

"The obligation to hate lawlessness also applies to all activity by apostates. Our attitude toward apostates should be that of David, who declared: 'Do I not hate those who are intensely hating you, O Jehovah, and do I not feel a loathing for those revolting against you? With a complete hatred I do hate them. They have become to me real enemies.' (Psalm 139:21, 22) Modern-day apostates have made common cause with 'the man of lawlessness,' the clergy of Christendom. (2 Thessalonians 2:3) As loyal Witnesses of Jehovah, we therefore have absolutely nothing in common with them. Being imperfect, our hearts could easily have a tendency toward being critical of our brothers. As individuals, those of 'the faithful and discreet slave' are imperfect humans. (Matthew 24:45-47) But this class is faithful and discreet. Apostates capitalize on errors or seeming mistakes made by brothers who take the lead. Our safety lies in avoiding apostate propaganda as though it were poison, which in fact it is.—Romans 16:17, 18."
    -w92 7/15 p.p. 12-13 par. 19

So there you have it folks. It is the OBLIGATION of Jehovah's Witnesses to hate anyone who disagrees with Society teachings.

And there I was thinking the hate speech against apostates was a fairly recent development.

Cedars

• clarity
    clarity

Cedars ... nice find.

>

There was a definite change to this 'hating the person' thing.

>

At one time the mantra was ... we don't hate the person...

we just hate what he does!

I'm thinking that the chg was probably around 1992.

I was surprised by it!

clarity

• NoRegrets
    NoRegrets

It is so vile and hateful! They also implant serious superstitions in the sheep about encountering apostates. We experienced one of our former elders immediately bowing his head in prayer if ran into my wife at her place of work! The whole congo used to go to the store/restaurant frequently for coffee breaks. Now, they almost never go. I guess they don't want to catch a bad case of "mental disease" eating food she might have prepared! Or maybe swallow a demon whole!

NR

• notjustyet
    notjustyet

" ,.....As individuals, those of 'the faithful and discreet slave' are imperfect humans. "

But when we meet together each and every week and our golden rings touch in unison, not to be mistaken with the pagan practice of toasting, we are no longer considered "individuals" and out powers together override our imperfectnesseses!!!"

NJY

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

It would be interesting, after reading a verse from Song of Solomon or Ecclesiasties during a student talk in the TMS, to say you hate King Solomon.

I wonder what the comments would be ???

Rub a Dub

• Hillary
    Hillary

Watchtower April 1, 1920, pp100, 101 We would not refuse to treat one as a brother because he did not believe the Society is the Lord's channel. If others see it in a different way, that is their privilege. There should be full liberty of conscience.

• cantleave
    cantleave

It is every apostate's obligation to hate the cult that is known as the Watchtower!

• whathappened
    whathappened

The Watchtower Society is a hateful organisation...I don't know what took us so long to realise it.

• Mum
    Mum

I remember an elder saying at a meeting in the '70's that it was acceptable to hate a person when it was not possible to separate the person from their "evil "-- whatever that means.

"Apostates" are bitter about injustice and unfair treatment in most cases. Barbara Grizzuti Harrison, in her book, Visions of Glory: A History and a Memory of the Jehovah's Witnesses, makes the point that most people who leave feel pushed out rather than just waking up one day and deciding to leave. I wonder how many here were pushed out. I was because I started realizing in 1977 or so, that I might have to face the reality of growing old in this "old order" or "old system" or whatever they're calling it. I had not prepared to live, so I wanted to get a college degree and hone my job skills. I also had to take care of my mental health in an environment where I could relax and think things through and not be pressed about what I was doing "wrong." Unfortunately, just being normal is "wrong" if you're in a cult.

Regards,

SandraC

• BlindersOff1
    BlindersOff1

Unadulterated HATE SPEACH

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit