My mom unfriended me on Facebook...

by dazed but not confused 37 Replies latest social relationships

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

My sister gave me a hard time a while back for "liking" Sam Harris' End of Faith and A Letter to a Christian Nation.

• ruderedhead
    ruderedhead

It's just facebook. It's supposed to be fun. Block her from seeing anything on your wall so she cannot see what you are posting or liking. Then you don't have to worry about what she is seeing. I know some people who "creep" on others pages, and if the settings are not there, they can see things whether you are friends or not. One of my husbands nephews tried to do this to me. He tried to friend me, and told my husband they could spy on me that way. My husband thought that was OFF THE WALL CREEPY and told me not to friend anyone from that family. I learned how to block certain people from seeing anything but basic info. You might be wise to do the same. At least she will still speak to you, that's something, right? This way you can keep it cordial. Just my 2 cents.

• LV101
    LV101

OODAD --- WOW -- LOVE THAT poster girl's hairdo. Had that hairdo one time and it was striking and fabulous. So many complements --- where did you find that picture. Maybe I'll just copy this picture.

You have great taste! I know, it's because of the content.

• Skbj
    Skbj

I always had a strict policy to not have my mother on FB . When she asked me to be added I said no. Harsh? probably but saves lots of arguments seeing the things I post or photos of holidays celebrations etc.

when I was younger I despised my mother for that shoot first ask later attitude, always thought was her personality then realized it's how the WT trains people to be. My dad is less like that but then he's always been the least zealous of the two.

Speaking of FB has there ever been any publication openly discoraging it? because I noticed about 2-3 years ago lots of the JW I grew up with were on FB, then they all disappeared at the same time, which I found hilarious. As they were all in the same KH I figured either a talk or something written came up but I wouldn't know so I'm asking here

• Scully
    Scully

Sorry to hear that.

If you have other family members who are JWs, she may have felt compelled to 'unfriend' you in order to prevent a cascade effect by other JW family members unfriending her. The social pressure to toe the line is strong, perhaps more than your mother could stand. I'm not defending her behaviour, just trying to look at the situation through her eyes. She may think that all of her JW friends can see what you "Like" and panicked, believing that her stance regarding The Truth™ would come into question if she didn't react as she did.

I understand your feelings too - it's good that there's some physical distance between you that prevents easy access to your wife and children. When your JW parent show such disrespect for you, she doesn't deserve access to your children on any level. Period. I'd have a conversation with your wife about making any updates or pictures of your family that either of you post on Facebook be blocked from your mother's view via the privacy settings. Any JW who has ever snubbed me or creeped me on FB in order to access mutual non-JW friends gets blocked.

• flipper
    flipper

DAZED BUT NOT CONFUSED- Sorry you are going through this with your mom. I find it annoying as well to have to walk on eggshells with some of my JW family as well who are still in. Perhaps try to stay off of JW topics around these JW relatives and talk about hobbies, interests, latest movies you watched , the weather- anything except JW stuff. Might make your existence somewhat more tolerable around them. I know avoiding these topics tends to work for me around the JW relatives I occasionally see . Hang in there buddy. We are here for you. Peace out, mr. Flipper

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

After talking to her (mom) she sent me a friend request. I accepted after a week of thinking about it. I decided to block her and my sister from seeing my “Likes” on FB. I figure if I post something “apostate” I will block them from seeing it. We don’t talk much anymore anyway. Its a good thing we're hundreds of miles apart.

• villagegirl
    villagegirl

The very idea that your mother would "unfriend you on facebook"

sends a cold chill down my spine. Its unnatural, its creepy, I am

a mother, and a grandmother and I can tell you, she will live to

regret this cruel action. She should be ashamed of herself, but this

is what the WT produces, shamed people, who act shamelessly.

You were shamed by your upbringing in the WT, if you don't believe

me watch some John Bradshaw You Tube videos

from his "family" series and the book;

Healing the Shame that Binds You.

Your mother is in a "TRANCE".

Watch the videos and you will know what

I am refering to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit