My mom unfriended me on Facebook...

by dazed but not confused 37 Replies latest social relationships

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Last night I “Liked” Ray Franz’s book Crisis of Conscience on Facebook. Today after I got home from work I checked FB and saw my mom was no longer a friend. I told my wife and she was shocked. I told her I was really not surprised. I will give it a day or 2 and call her and ask whats up? I’m pretty sure it was because of liking the book.

It would not surprise me at all if she stops talking to me. I’m not DF’d or DA’d. I told her the gist of how I feel about religion and I could tell she was disgusted by my leaving the “truth.” She is as wacky as the JW’s come. The Borganization can do NO wrong.

She was a single mom who raised 3 kids on her own. I am the baby. But if this how it’s going to be, I’m actually ok with it. Other than angry, I'm not sure how I should feel about this. We live over 24 hours apart by car.

Also my wife is FB friends with her and she checked and was still friends with her. I told her to look at my mom's friends page. I wasn't there but the rest of my family was there. My wife was a bit speechless.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Wait, I thought JW's weren't supposed to be on Facebook. Too much time wasting on there instead of knocking on doors.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Lol. Yeah, and I was the one who kept pushing her to get on so she could keep up with the grandkids she never sees. She just joined a few months back.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Sorry to hear that.

'She was a single mom who raised 3 kids on her own.'

That must have been tough.

'I am the baby. But if this how it’s going to be, I’m actually ok with it. Other than angry, I'm not sure how I should feel about this.'

I'm not making any judgement. I would say, though, that you may have some undealt w stuff, there. If you ever find someone who would be a good listener, talking about some of this might be good. Just a thought.

S

• whathappened
    whathappened

In order to keep my daughter and grandson in my life, I don't post anything directly against the watchtower society anymore. We have agreed not to discuss the religion anymore. As much as I want her out, I know that it has got to be on her time table. So I just hope she will awaken on her own. At least I get to visit with them.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

If you ever find someone who would be a good listener, talking about some of this might be good. Just a thought.

Perhaps. Recently, after leaving, I decided to not waste my time on those who don’t care for or about me.

I know my mom loves me but is really disappointed in me. I’ll find out whats going on with her. I just hate how much control there is in the org. She will never listen to reason even if it was presented in a reasonable manner.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

you may have some undealt w stuff, there.

I have alot of resentment for how I was raised. I now wish I had a normal childhood. Being born in, I knew nothing of a normal upbringing. She came into the "truth" in 1974 because the end was SOOOOOO close. She swears up and down now that they never pointed to 1975 being a special year. When it is so easy to see all the lies now, I don't know how anyone stays in.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Ignore it. Mom is being petty. Go on being true to yourself, no matter who unfriends you on facebook.

Facebook isn't the real world, after all.

I'm not trying to minimize how you feel, though. I know that kind of crap hurts.

• clarity
    clarity

She might just have clicked the wrong thing! It happens.

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Update

I called my mom to catch up since it’s been 5 or 6 weeks. She seemed cold and distant but she talked.

At the end of the conversation I asked her, “Oh, are you still on Facebook?” She said she was. I said “Oh, because I noticed you weren’t on my friends list anymore.” She said “Yeah, when I saw you “liked” that apostate book I removed you.” I said “What apostate book?” She said “The Crisis of Conscience one. Its by an apostate.” I said “Have you read it? It’s not apostate. Ray Franz was a member at one time but he wrote about his time there at bethel and about his conscience not allowing him to choose an organization over God” She said “Oh. Well I wasn’t sure. I will add you back as a friend. Doesn’t he preach his own ideals?” I said “No. He just talked about how things ran at bethel during his time there.” We talked a little more about other things then hung up.

So I was right, it WAS because of the book. Oh well. I am really lucky she and my sister are the only ones that may shun me for my beliefs or lack there of. There are so many stories of whole families leaving them in the cold, wives, husbands, kids, grand kids ect… I should count myself lucky my wife is with me and not against me. Even my MIL still talks to me and has us over and she knows everything about the holidays and my feelings.

Every time, even before I left, my mom never lets a conversation go that doesn’t involve something about an upcoming assembly, or talk she heard or whatever JW. Sadly her mind is a pile of JW propaganda mush.

Clarity - That was a possibility I was throwning around too but sadly no.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit