Deteriorating content of the WT

by His Excellency 45 Replies latest jw friends

• His Excellency
    His Excellency

Has anyone noticed the recent deterioration in the quality of WT's contents lately?.

The spiritual food seems to be getting more and more shitty these days. I have given a thought to what could really be going wrong, and if it is likely that some on the wiriting committee is consciously dishing out those nonsense to facilitate more poeple seeing TTAT

Just wondering...

• 2+2=5
    2+2=5

I wondered if it was just me because I have only recently learned TTATT, but it seems like the spiritual food is getting pretty stale. It has always been the same stuff, just stirred and reheated, it just seems to have a real unpleasant smell and texture these days.

• cedars
    cedars

I've noticed it too. I suppose there's only so long you can bang out the same message before you begin repeating yourself. Also, judging from the GB talks I've listened to, the Society does not have the most intellectually gifted pool of writers to draw from. I suppose that's inevitable when you ban higher education!

An example of this endless repetitiveness is the "paint by numbers" approach to explaining scripture. The illustrations used in the magazines to explain basic concepts are insultingly simplistic. I'm losing count of the number of illustrations that involve doctors. There's yet another "doctor illustration" in the latest Study Edition (May 15th 2013, page 5)...

"Why should we, like Jesus, use questions in the evangelizing work? Well, consider this scenario: Your doctor tells you that he has good news. He can cure your illness if you undergo serious surgery. You might believe him. But what if he makes that promise even before he asks you any questions about your health? Then it is unlikely that you will have confidence in him. No matter how talented the doctor may be, he needs to ask questions and listen to what your symptoms are before he can give any meaningful help. Similarly, if we are to help people accept the good news of the Kingdom, we must master the art of asking effective questions. Only after we gain a clear picture of their spiritual condition can we assist them."

Of course, the irony of these constant doctor illustrations is that JWs are themselves banned from becoming doctors because higher education is so stigmatized. They are drawing on a profession to prop up their ideology that ordinary Witnesses can never aspire to joining.

In summary, the Society is pumping out this stuff in a total vacuum of intellect and creativity, and we are seeing the results.

Cedars

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Even though it was a load of old inaccuarate crap years ago, the articles were at least more interesting.

I know they've been 'simplifying'(TM) some of the stuff but before I left the watchtower(R) study(TM) were terminally dull and mind numbing.

Apart from the insults the WBT$ hurls at those they fear, the articles are either as dull as dishwater or insane.

• wobble
    wobble

For a long time before I walked away I felt that the Organization was a spiritual desert. When I was giving talks, back in the day, I used to search for stuff that was uplifting and informative, of course anything of that quality came from outside, not the WT stuff.

I have been out a good few years now, if it has got worse it must be really dire, the spiritual food of the WT now is not just burgers with some horse DNA, it is 100% Horse s**t !

• designs
    designs

As out there as Fred Franz was he sure came up with a lot of ideas and had a printing company in his pocket. These days I'm sure its all left-overs.

• prologos
    prologos

It appears they have nothing more significant to say that will stand up under scrutiny. we can imagine what it is like at WRITING as they are trying to put into text the different version of the 1919 to GT tenure of the Faithful &DS, and see which one would make any sense and answer all the questions that could represent reality, or at least touch on WT doctrine as explained. All articles now seem to have only onegrand theme: Obey or else. be blessed ---as we define it for you. It will repel those that are made in god's image, or have ,in their minds, made a god that has higher IQ than 50. and attract the to JWn and the like.

thank you beeing here for us.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Wobble -

For a long time before I walked away I felt that the Organization was a spiritual desert. When I was giving talks, back in the day, I used to search for stuff that was uplifting and informative, of course anything of that quality came from outside, not the WT stuff.

Exactly. The public talk outlines were banal and disjointed. As much as I studied I found no comfort in the WBT$ library.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Hi Wobble

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    No matter how talented the doctor may be, he needs to ask questions and listen to what your symptoms are before he can give any meaningful help.

This is a ripoff of Stephen Covey's habit of seek first to understand, then be understood.

They don't have any good ideas that are original; the ones that are (1914, 1918, 1919, 1925, generation, no blood) are all terrible and sooner or later abandoned.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit