Freinds, how many do you have ?

by Satanus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

I would say that I have only a couple of really true friends. The rest are all acquaintances.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do have a quite a lot of friends, and even more acquantances. The ones I count as friends are those that are supportive and really care and that I know would help me any time. I hope I am a good friend back.

Most of my true friends never were JW's, though a number of XJW friends are absolute diamonds !

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Interesting. I read somewhere that the ideal number for a Church is 120. Protestant Churches used to split after that because when there are too many a person is unable to feel close to the entire congregation. The number of people close enough to deserve Christmas cards was about 20, and close friends with regular contact is only about 5, due to time limitations of dividing time up amongst more than that.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I hate everyone and everyone hates me.....

....that makes me happy.

• Pickler
    Pickler

Hardly any friends! One really great one, who I've known for many years, but she lives on the other side of the world.

I have made 2 new friends in the last year, and I'm going to try and maintain these friendships, because they are the first people I have liked in a long time.

Other than that, lots of aquaintances, but not friends. I don't like a lot of people that much anyway, so no big deal :)

• Satanus
    Satanus

Jwfacts

Well, thats interesting, about 120 number. You'ld think it would have been a nobrainer for the divinely directed wt corp.

---

When people get older, they see the concept differently than say an adolescent. For adolescents, trying to fit in and being a friend, not friend is of supreme importance. Older people tend to be friendly to more people and to let go easier.

Cantleave

As long as youre happy. Thats the important thing;)

S

• a watcher
    a watcher

I have over 7 million friends and they're all JW's :-)

• Satanus
    Satanus

watcher

I remember it well. A jw can go anywhere in the world where there are jws, and instantly have friends. They will help him w a place to stay, etc. Its a great idea. Unfortunately, a jw can instantly lose 7 million friends, if he ceases being jw. That includes all family members, as well. 'Friends', really?

S

• AGuest
    AGuest

Wow (and peace to you all!). I truly thought I was going to be low man on the totem pole here... and so I am VERY surprised at the responses. Very. I thought not to respond at first... but I think I will.

I have several VERY good friends (i.e., that I can ask for anything and if they have it, it's mine; if they don't, they will try and get it for me), both female and male... not counting about a dozen family members (both mine and my husband's) that I would also call friends. I know I can call them all friends... because they TELL me I am their friend... and vice versa... and have proven their friendship me, as I have tried to do with them. I am very affectionate with my friends and don't hesitate to tell them that I love them (yep, I TELL them that)... without expecting the same in return. As a result, though, I and a few, male and female, often call one another and just say, "Hey, I'm thinking of you and am glad you are in my life... I love you!" We're truly friends and so it feels natural to do that. It almost feels "wrong" not to... because we DO love one another.

I was devastated to have lost two friends in the past year (well, one I know was a friend... indeed, a very GOOD friend and for more than 16 years... lost because she decided to go back into the WTBTS, which I understand for her: we live over 1,000 miles away from one another and so she needed more friends; her other ones never left the Borg and had made it hard on her for some time), and so she "can't" really associate with my any longer. I give her her space; she knows I love her, though, and will always be there for her. The other I thought was a friend... or at least heading in that direction... for about 4-5 years; unfortunately, our differences in beliefs seem to have become an issue there, too.

The thing that I have learned in my life, though, is that the only way to HAVE friends... is to BE a friend. First. And no matter what. No matter what your friend believes/doesn't believe... or perhaps does/does not due. Even if they get on your nerves from time to time. In which case, you will most probably HAVE friends... no matter what... because like people often attract like people... and so you will most probably get on THEIR nerves from time to time, too.

I truly hope that some of you are able, at some point, to experience real friendships in your lives. While they are not necessarily necessary, like spouses, children, grandchildren, and pets... they greatly enhance your life and make it SO much richer. It certainly makes leaving something like the WTBTS a bit easier to endure.

Peace!

A doulos of Christ,

SA

• quincy_aka_quentin
    quincy_aka_quentin

Aguest, where Are you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit