When You Were a Visitor at a KH, Did Anyone Come Up and Say Hi?

by LoisLane looking for Superman 36 Replies latest jw friends

• dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

Most of the time yes.

Once about 3 years ago my mom came to visit from several states over. When we came in to the hall, some of my friends came up and said hi to me and my wife but not my mom. There were only 2 elder's wives that came up and actually looked at her and said anything, and the 2nd one did it as the announcement to take your seats was happening.

After the meeting my mom stood there for like 10 minutes then went to the car when no one came up to her and started to cry. She is an introvert and does not feel comfortable introducing herself. I did feel bad that I didn't take the initiative to introduce her to anyone but I had got caught up talking to my one friend. She was so upset because she is so used to being "love bombed." I was so pissed and started realizing how shitty this hall was. This is the same hall my wife still attends. They are very cliquish and rarely do anything outside of their circles. Its no wonder that we had and still have a high turn around of peopleā€¦ie elders and MS.

• nugget
    nugget

We have visited a few meetings when on holiday and have noticed varying responses.

If my husband was the visiting speaker and on his own he was more likely to be invited back for a cup of tea or welcomed at the meeting. If he came with wife and kids we were never invited back and very little welcoming.

We visited a congregation in the midlands and were welcomed warmly. We visited a congregation in Cornwall and were not welcomed by anyone.

It does vary from place to place although a muted greeting was always more likely than an effusive one.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

It is interesting how much the personality of a congregation can vary. I'm sure it has a lot to do with the brothers spending the most time on the platform, and whether they're nice and laidback or dour and joyless, because that can put a pall on everybody who has to sit through their part and it sours the overall mood. In some Halls everyone is either related or else friends, and the enjoyment they get from associating at the meetings seems to make them friendlier towards outsiders, but in other Halls it seems to just make them cliquish and untrusting of strangers.

• finally awake
    finally awake

I used to occasionally attend meetings by myself when I was traveling for work. Most of the time, at least a few people would approach me with greetings and small talk. Once I was invited out to dinner after the book study meeting. I visited several congregations in Louisville, KY, Danville, KY, Bowling Green, KY, and Nashville, TN between 1999 and 2005. After 2005, I quit going to meetings when I traveled.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Most of the time. Although, as noted, it varies. In one hall i and a friend visited, people of the cong not on only envited us out to a restaurent after, we ended up playing in their football game. Great congregation, even though it was jw.

S

• jgnat
    jgnat

We've been to various halls throughout Alberta - in Edmonton, Calgary, Hinton, and Grande Prairie. Someone usually comes up and makes an introduction. We are asked which congregation we are from (checking out our status), and they will usually let slip their own (Member of both the HLC and the Building Committee, oh my). As visitors we were never invited out to dinner (my dubious status, perhaps?).

Human nature being what it is, we are usually left alone at the larger conventions and assemblies. It is easier to be anonymous in a crowd.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

I never could understand why JW's for the most part are so cold, clickish, and standoffish when it comes to meeting new ones at the Hall. After all the door knocking and door bell ringing and thousand's of dollars of wasted gas through the years, wouldn't they enjoy it, if one of those persons actually came to the Hall? If they could see something for all their hard labor?

Just Lois

• jgnat
    jgnat

Lois, I had an elder's wife who confessed that the only reason she went in to service is to make it to paradise with her family. She was a young mother and looked so tired.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

Jgnat >>>>>At least she was honest. lol

PS. How is the snow situation, in your part of the world?

Just Lois

• tiki
    tiki

as a kid my father used to go to various halls in the circuit and give public talks....some were friendly, others not....a lot of variation as i recall....each cong had its own peculiar "friendliness quotient".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit