Why Worry About Stopping Comets?

by AGuest 32 Replies latest jw friends

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

Physics just is. That is is helpful to us is anthropomorphizing things. It just is. That we happen to benefit is purely incidental. It's NOT a defense. It's just physics.

• tec
    tec

Having an atmosphere that helps to slow or disintegrate objects that would otherwise cause considerable harm and damage... is... a natural defense. Same for the laws that govern such an atmosphere - those are what make it 'natural'.

It doesn't matter what you attribute it to... I find it quite interesting.

Peace,

tammy

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

It doesn't matter what you attribute it to... I find it quite interesting.

Whatever.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I thought I asked better questions. *sigh*

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Nuking an asteroid on the surface doesn't do anything, as the Bruce Willis movie pointed out. You have to land a party on it, drill in the vacuum of space, risk exposure to the intense heat and cold, drop the nuke down into the drilled hole, and then there might be a loose wire or something. And all of this while the asteroid is close enough to even attempt a landing, so you'd better get to drilling post-haste. Then the party needs to rendezvous at a point safely away from the asteroid to avoid being a suicide mission. You see, I just love breaking these sci-fi adventure flicks down!

• Glander
    Glander

Comets/meteors that crash near populated areas usually act as a physic on the people caught unaware.

• jgnat
  • speargrass55
    speargrass55

Actually my witness brother, called me to tell me the Russian meteorite shower is a sign of the last days. He is university educated. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I wonder if I was ever that ignorant as a dub.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

EVERYTHING is a sign of the last days. A Watchtower shame on your brother for getting a university education.

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Who is worrying about stopping comets?
    I would think deflecting would require less effort.

I would think that as well. Much less. Construction workers can push a heavy suspended steel beam into fine position by hand. Same idea.

The atmosphere is not really a defense; it has no effect against anything big enough whose impact would alter the global climate. Sure it prevents small stuff from getting through, but defense here is kinda moot.

The danger is from large objects of course and it's only a matter of time before the cosmic event clock hits midnight again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit