Why Worry About Stopping Comets?

by AGuest 32 Replies latest jw friends

• AGuest
    AGuest

Given their relative size (usually), maybe we should learn to stop meteors first:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/16/world/europe/meteorite-fragments-are-said-to-rain-down-on-siberia.html?_r=0

Interesting.

A doulos of Christ,

SA

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

Why not just let god intervene? Surely he wouldn't allow earth to be destroyed, one of his crowning creations?

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Comets and Large Asteroids are actually much easier to spot, track, and ultimately do something about. Ideally you would land a small unmanned vehicle on a large asteroid and nuke it. There is a mission later this year I believe that Nasa will approach and take a sample from one.

Meteors like the one that blew up today are too small to track and it would be like hitting a gnat with a BB gun.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Ahhh, yes, "Armageddon", was it, dear Cage (peace to you!)? Loved that movie!

I'm with you, dear Knows (peace to you, as well!): He wouldn't. He didn't make it for nothing.

Thank you both for your comments and, again, peace to you!

A doulos of Christ,

SA

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

There are some things it just isn't within our power to control.

• AGuest
    AGuest

That's my position, as well, dear FHN (peace to you!). Some don't agree... and that's entirely okay... though.

Peace!

Your servant and a doulos of Christ,

SA

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

what meteor that exploded today?

oz who lives under a rock

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Why worry? Because your god has a history of watching children, women and men, dying in great numbers. He was quite happy to allow meteors destroy most of earth's life on more than one occasion. If your god was that awesome,,he would have crossed the 't's and dotted the 'i's and checked the trajectories of all the flying death rocks in space.....

Please, seriously.... Go buy some books. We know what meteors/comets are, we know how they are made. We know they have hit before and will again (900 injured by one yesterday). Humans have started plans for nuclear breakup devices, for creating devices to change its trajectory... There are a few plans being worked on. Prayer is not top of the list.

Snare x

• Glander
    Glander

The Russian meteor weighed 10 tons and was going 36,000 mph. No one saw it coming and certainly couldn't track it. It fell into a frozen lake but if it had hit a populated area the damage and death toll would be right up there with a nuke.

Bruce Willis couldn't have stopped it.

• jgnat
    jgnat

For Aussie Oz, meteor that exploded over the Urals yesterday, felling walls and breaking windows from the shockwave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_RknL9G-Q

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit