Why do Jw's have to pay for CO's expenses?

by nolongerconfused 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Londo111
    Londo111

Don't traveling overseers take a vow of poverty?

• SophieG
    SophieG

I think the last CO I had was wearing Armani...I kid you NOT!

• prologos
    prologos

Sophie G Co wearing Armani shoes?

Is that not why the pope resigned? he had fancy shoe tastes too.

Amelda Marcos marching in the Ministry.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

Neon Madman, glad you posted that. Paul was indeed the exception, as Blondie said.

This mirrors the Levites who did not have a land inheritance from Jehovah, but instead were to receive the tithings from the rest of the tribes. When the tithing was lacking, the Levites had to do other work to support themselves.

Neh 3:10 And I got to find out that the very portions of the Levites had not been given [them], so that the Levites and the singers doing the work went running off, each one to his own field.

This was apparently a small issue with Paul. Not only did he mention it to the Corinthians, he commended the Phillipians for their generosity, and for all intents and purposes, put a dig into the rest of the congregations for not doing so.

Phil 4:15, 16: In fact, YOU Phi·lip′pi·ans, also know that at [the] start of declaring the good news, when I departed from Mac·e·do′ni·a, not a congregation took a share with me in the matter of giving and receiving, except YOU alone; because, even in Thes·sa·lo·ni′ca, YOU sent something to me both once and a second time for my need.

Don't misunderstand, though, COs get a stipend from the branch. Yes, they get insurance and a car, but actual cash is truly a stipend. What the congregation pays is for their expenses, and in my experience, those expenses are usually less than $80 USD for the week, more generally in the $50-$70 USD range. They produce receipts for their expenses, which may include groceries, gas, dry cleaning, etc. Frankly, it has never bothered me so reimburse them because it's just never been abused, in my experience.

As for nicer suits, I have heard of some, not all, say that it's better to buy one really nice suit that will last a long time than have to keep buying suites all the time. Not sure I buy into that one, but I have heard it said.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

I dunno. I know CO's who opted not to submit expenses. It's usually not a lot anyway. It was always around $50 or so. I also know some CO's who submitted expenses for everything. There are certain things they can't claim as an expense though.

I also know CO's who had a ton of dough saved up from before they went into the work and I know some who were not well off by any means.

• nochoice
    nochoice

Do they really receive that much money in the form of cash from the friends? The reason I ask is that the only time I see envelopes and cards being given to the CO or his wife is on the day of the last talk, Sunday. And it's pretty obvious when it's happening, even though the freinds try to look as if they're being discreet. I usually only see 2 or 3 incidences. And even if each one was generous, we're only talking a couple hundred total.

Don't get me wrong, a couple hundred dollars plus comp lunch and dinner every day is a pretty sweet deal, but it's not getting wealthy. I also wonder if some of the designer shoes and purses they have were not direct gifts rather than thier ability to purchase designer stuff.

Just curious if anyone knows what the real cash value of the job is.

• prologos
    prologos

These are really hard working people, and their wealth depends on where they are assigned . we have at least three ex COs living in our neighborhood and while two are into real estate, one, who worked in the Boondocks all his life, is depending on Government largesse.

If you pay your ministers, you can not claim to have no clergy class, reverse collar or not.

If you equate your upper echelons to the levites, you can not claim there is no clergy class.

Cos do not serve the sheep, they serve their employer, the WT BtS and enforce that entities policies. making the sheep pay for it directly, adds insult to injury.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

You don't have to pay their expenses. No collection is ever taken, remember? They are volunteers and not employees. You may volunteer to help them out if you wish, but that is strictly voluntary. Only Christendom has a paid clergy.

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/meetings/

Memorial of the Death of Jesus

Once each year in thousands of locations worldwide, we commemorate the death of Jesus. We do so because he commanded his followers: “Keep doing this in remembrance of me.” (Luke 22:19) The next observance will be on Tuesday, March 26, 2013. We invite you to join us for this special occasion. This meeting, like all our meetings, is open to the public. Seats are free and no collections are ever taken.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

These things are nothing more than parasites. Wherever they appear, they drain the wealth of the community--in particular, those who they are able to scam into the congregation. All xian churches do the same rubbish. Some use collection plates to steal wealth from the community, while others use guilt trips and houndings to place toilet papers (or silver and gold) into the hands of the hounder-hounders.

• SophieG
    SophieG

PROLOGOS: NO! Armani suit. I know what one looks like! That was a huge green handshake!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit