Why do Jw's have to pay for CO's expenses?

by nolongerconfused 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RayPublisher
    RayPublisher

Some COs (depending on how popular they are and how long they are in the traveling work) pay cash for trailers, cars etc after being given so many paper handshakes from week to week.

• Pickler
    Pickler

How much money do they get? Do they also claim unemployment benefits?

Do they have superannuation & health insurance? I didn't know that we paid for the CO?

• nolongerconfused
    nolongerconfused

I didn't know that we paid for the CO?

umm...how do they eat, put gas, pay for clothing, health insurance etc..?...it's all of the JW's donations lol

Same thing for the GB

• GoneAwol
    GoneAwol

My Dad told me just this morning at work that a new elder, a VERY young man with a family, walked to where the co was sitting during the meeting, and gave him a white envelope. Afterwards, my Dad asked him what the envelope was all about. He said it was a personal cash gift to the co to show his familys appreciation. My Dad who is an ex elder himself, couldnt believe what he had just seen. All done in front of people DURING the meeting when he could be observed. I`m pleased to say my Dad was disgusted!

• happytobefree
    happytobefree

Actually it would impossible for them to work. They are traveling from Hall to Hall every week. I don't see the problem with giving them donations, but I do feel that the WTBS should provide a salary for them. This is a full time occupation.

It's funny that ex-JW would feel this way, in churches people give love offerings for visiting Pastor, evangelist, choirs and missionaries. Which I think is great, because these people are doing a service for you.

Don't get caught up in the JW think about everything should be free. When someone is providing a service we should appreciate them by giving monetarily if you can afford or if it's in the goodness of your heart. But if it's the latter, don't give.

• prologos
    prologos

When the DO discussed my future possible CO appointment he said: "you will never have to worry about money again" I declined.

Cos are tight lipped about their wealth.

Londo 111: give to a poor sister instead? yes, why not, after all Jesus in Math. 25 said :

"---What you have done to the LEAST Ones---"

Giving to the Big Cheeses DOES NOT count at all.

It will be remembered too, that many of the terrible decisions of the BOE had to be ratified by the upper echelon.

• RoosterMcDooster
    RoosterMcDooster

Good question. Technically the boe is supossed to "invite" the co to present his expenses and they vote weather to reimburse or not. If they do not he can present them to the circuit or wt as a last resort. I have never heard of the cong not paying for his expenses while visiting. But it is expected.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

As Blondie noted, Paul was presenting himself as an exception to the rule that those who minister to the churches should be paid for their work. 1 Corinthians 9:4-16 says this:

1Co 9:4 Do we not have the right to eat and drink?

1Co 9:5 Do we not have the right to take along a believing wife, as do the other apostles and the brothers of the Lord and Cephas?

1Co 9:6 Or is it only Barnabas and I who have no right to refrain from working for a living?

1Co 9:7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard without eating any of its fruit? Or who tends a flock without getting some of the milk?

1Co 9:8 Do I say these things on human authority? Does not the Law say the same?

1Co 9:9 For it is written in the Law of Moses, "You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain." Is it for oxen that God is concerned?

1Co 9:10 Does he not certainly speak for our sake? It was written for our sake, because the plowman should plow in hope and the thresher thresh in hope of sharing in the crop.

1Co 9:11 If we have sown spiritual things among you, is it too much if we reap material things from you?

1Co 9:12 If others share this rightful claim on you, do not we even more? Nevertheless, we have not made use of this right, but we endure anything rather than put an obstacle in the way of the gospel of Christ.

1Co 9:13 Do you not know that those who are employed in the temple service get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in the sacrificial offerings?

1Co 9:14 In the same way, the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel.

1Co 9:15 But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing these things to secure any such provision. For I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of my ground for boasting.

1Co 9:16 For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

"Those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel." The WTS takes Paul's exception and makes it the rule, that all who preach should do so at their own expense. That is not the Bible's teaching. The congregation that receives the benefit of a teacher's efforts should pay for his expenses, and, more, should pay his support. The Watchtower's railing against having a "paid clergy class" is completely contrary to Scripture. Clergy should be paid. This is not to say that clergy should be regarded as an exalted class with more status than regular Christians, only that those who actually do the work of preaching and teaching the Scriptures should be able to do so as a profession, not as a volunteer.
  • nolongerconfused
    nolongerconfused

my problem is not the giving out of the heart...it's the CONCEPT of saying you're doing full time service and "expecting" others to pay your expenses...all CO's, DO's, even these GB individuals should be able to support themselves...

obviously they could care less about what the Bible says on self sufficiency

• prologos
    prologos

neon madman, very good work to highlight those apprpriate texts. but:

Wt continously reminds the R&F that they owe it to NORMALLY give their all, scale down their possesions, witness weekends, nights, vacations, and then sign over their estates to the Inner Party. in other words:

live like a CO, work without let up. but

with out the status, without the perks, privileges, and $$$$.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit