Flood Story in every Culture?

by enigma1863 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I just googled Kurnai Australia, the example given for Australian belief in a flood story. The Kurnai were a tiny clan living on a fraction of the mainland. I recall that there were estimates of 500 different clans in Australia before white settlement. Cherry picked.

• Lore
    Lore
    Ok I’m looking for a specific religion and culture that has no flood story. Someone claimed that every religion/culture has a flood story. I disagree but I want to have a reference.

I see what you're trying to do. But I think you're going about it wrong.

1: If 'someone claimed' something. Then it's up to that someone to prove their statement correct. The responsiblity is on the person making the claim to prove their claim is correct. If they say that every culture has a flood myth, they should be the ones to show you the refferences to each individual culture's flood story.

2: You can't prove a negative. If your claim is that culture X has no flood myth, it's not possible to prove that. They may have had a flood myth in the past that has been forgotten at some point. It's not possible to prove that wrong.

3: Even if one particular culture does not have a flood myth, that doesn't prove anything about whether or not a global flood actually happened.

4: Even if every culture in the world does have a flood myth. And even if those myths are pretty similar, that does not prove that a global flood actually uccured.

5: How can you disagree already if you don't have evidence one way or the other yet? (Which I'm assuming is the case since that's the point of this thread) You're not likely to find the correct answer if you already have decided what kind of evidence you want.

Basically. Don't try to argue the flood didn't happen using ancient societies stories. They prove nothing. The archeological, historical, biological, geological, paleontological and mathematical evidence already proves the flood didn't happen, no matter what bedtime stories were told to young Sumerians.

• pontoon
    pontoon

Do wet basements count?

• moshe
    moshe

Any humans who lived on the coastal areas -8,000 to10,000 years ago would have had their huts flooded out by a 6-10ft rise of the oceans due to the draining of glacial lake Agassiz in North America- The survivors had to find new homes and the oral history of the great flood was passed on down through the ages--

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Agassiz

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

You are most likely correct. There are going to be cultures that are not affected by floods, and these are the ones that are less likely to have a flood account. Possibly cultures high in the mountains, such as Nepal etc. Obviously, much of the world, and particularly places like Australia, are prone to regular flooding and flood stories were derived to explain these. I am not sure if the middle east is prone to floods now, but the story of Noah derives from floods that affected the area several thousand years ago during the end of the last ice age.

It is pertinent that cultures do not contain stories about events that do not affect them. Jesus signs of the last days include things common to the area, earthquakes, famine, war, disease. What he did not include are other events common in our time, such as cyclone, tsunami, volcanos, nuclear bombs, global warming (potentially), terrorism.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Where there's a body of water or river etc. there is going to be a flood epic. Its not a world wide flood, its a world wide commonality of flood experiences destroying the known world of thier time. Perhaps their immeidate area which is the known world of their time and cultural. Its called a tall tale. Duh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit