Flood Story in every Culture?

by enigma1863 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

From the insight book, another big list of cultures claimed to have flood stories that CAME FROM the 'real one' of Noah

Chart

onpage 328] (For fully formatted text, see publication)

Flood Legends

Samples from six continents and the islands of the sea; hundreds of such legends are known

Australia- Kurnai

Destruction by Water / Humans Spared / Animals Spared/ Preserved in a Vessel

Babylon-Berossus’ account

Destruction by Water / Warning Given / Humans Spared / Animals Spared/ Preserved in a Vessel

Babylon -Gilgamesh epic

Destruction by Water / Divine Cause / Warning Given / Humans Spared / Animals Spared /Preserved in a Vessel

Bolivia- Chiriguano

Destruction by Water / Divine Cause / Warning Given / Humans Spared / Preserved in a Vessel

Borneo-Sea Dayak

Destruction by Water / Humans Spared / Animals Spared / Preserved in a Vessel

Burma- Singpho

Canada- Cree

Destruction by Water / Divine Cause / Humans Spared / Animals Spared / Preserved in a Vessel

Canada - Montagnais

Destruction by Water / Divine Cause / Warning Given / Humans Spared / Animals Spared / Preserved in a Vessel

China- Lolo

Destruction by Water / Divine Cause / Humans Spared / Animals Spared / Preserved in a Vessel

Cuba-original natives

Destruction by Water / Warning Given / Humans Spared / Animals Spared / Preserved in a Vessel

East Africa- Masai

Destruction by Water / Divine Cause / Warning Given / Humans Spared / Animals Spared / Preserved in a Vessel

Egypt -Book of the Dead

Destruction by Water / Divine Cause / Warning Given / Humans Spared / Preserved in a Vessel

Fiji -Walavu-levu tradition

Destruction by Water / Divine Cause / Humans Spared / Preserved in a Vessel

French Polynesia- Raïatéa

Destruction by Water / Divine Cause / Warning Given / Humans Spared / Animals Spared

Greece -Lucian’s account

Guyana - Macushi

Iceland - Eddas

India -Andaman Islands

India - Bhil

Destruction by Water Warning Given Humans Spared Animals Spared Preserved in a Vessel

India - Kamar

Destruction by Water Divine Cause Warning Given Humans Spared Preserved in a Vessel

Iran - Zend-Avest

Destruction by Water Warning Given Humans Spared Animals Spared

Italy - Ovid’s poetry

Destruction by Water Divine Cause Humans Spared Preserved in a Vessel

Malay Peninsula- Jakun

Mexico -Codex Chimalpopoca

Destruction by Water Warning Given Humans Spared Preserved in a Vessel

Mexico- Huichol

Destruction by Water Warning Given Humans Spared Animals Spared Preserved in a Vessel

New Zealand- Maori

Peru -Indianof Huarochirí

Destruction by Water Warning Given Humans Spared Animals Spared

Russia- Vogul

Destruction by Water Warning Given Humans Spared Preserved in a Vessel

U.S.A. (Alaska)- Kolusches

U.S.A. (Alaska)- Tlingit

Destruction by Water Divine Cause Humans Spared Animals Spared Preserved in a Vessel

U.S.A. (Arizona)- Papago

U.S.A. (Hawaii)- legend of Nu-u

Destruction by Water Divine Cause Humans Spared Animals Spared Preserved in a Vessel

Vanuatu- Melanesians

Destruction by Water Humans Spared Animals Spared Preserved in a Vessel

Vietnam- Bahnar

Wales -Dwyfan/Dwyfach legend

[Artwork—Chinese characters]

VESSEL + EIGHT+ MOUTH (or Persons) .................... SHIP

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

This is not going to help much, but many years ago I was researching how many cultures had a "Flood Myth" and the similarities of those stories for a Public Talk I was giving which included a bit on the Noachian Flood.

I was intrigued to find that many had the sending the bird out to see if land was near, the saving of the animals of course and so on, which pointed to a common source for many of the myths. Many diverged in significant ways, which I ignored.

One book I found had a huge list of the cultures that have a Flood Myth, as I perused that list I became aware that some cultures did not have such a story, but my memory is not good as to which ! sorry, I think one was that certain North American native tribes/nations did have the myth, but not all, but I may be wrong.

Sorry not to be much help. but I am convinced you are on to something, though flood myths may be widespread, how many claim their floods were global ?

If we are looking at just local stories they have no more to do with "Noah" than this summer's floods around the world. They are just that, local stories.

The common features of such stories are inevitable, destruction by water, well yes, that is what a flood does, escape by boat, well , there's a surprise, not by spaceship then ? divine curse as reason, people still use this today ! and so on, even saving animals may be just local, not from the original myth.

How many really sound like just a local flood, and contain nothing of the "Noah" story itself ? How many come from the same source (Gilgamesh) ? Modern urban myths start somewhere, but they are not true.

I shall be interested to hear more on this.

Just a side-note, dear old Ray Franz was well aware that the idea of a Global Flood was not true or even sensible, so he wrote a long essay on how the Genesis story could be read as talking of a local flood, he goes in to the Hebrew words used and reasoning on the story tellers perspective etc.

Very credible, though I would have thought perhaps a scholar without an agenda may well disagree with his conclusions.

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Hmmm.... Too bad the WT won't list all the cultures that have a "Jesus" story. Some guy is born of a virgin, dies, is resurrected 3 days later and claims some sort of divinity which everyone fights about for the next 5,000 years.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

funny enough...or NOT funny, was that when I was 'in' i never questioned or investigated any of the WTs list of cultures with a flood legend.

That there was a list was good enough for me... and I suspect for most of us before we woke up.

Oz

edit: anyway, as you are looking for a culture that has NO flood story, the above lists might help you cross them off ...

• Knowsnothing
  • Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Hmmm.... Too bad the WT won't list all the cultures that have a "Jesus" story. Some guy is born of a virgin, dies, is resurrected 3 days later and claims some sort of divinity which everyone fights about for the next 5,000 years.

Does such a list exist?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Knowsnothing, thanks for the link. When I was a believing JW I would have looked at that list as a "no smoke without fire" proof of all these cultures having a folk memory of Noah's Flood. LOL

Since leaving and honing my Critical Thinking skills I can look at the list and realise that there is a good chance most are telling stories of local floods that affected their ancestors and were not located near the middle east, some are repeating myths from an older source than Genesis , which itself probably plagiarised the story, many are influenced by the Bible story having seeped in to their culture.

The Andaman Islanders for instance. The Aboriginal inhabitants who keep to themselves, and there are only afew hundred left, we do not know if they have such a story, but the other guys would have got it FROM the Bible, I would think.

It does not add up to any kind of affirmation for the Noah story as being anything more than a myth.

Dear Amelia, I would like to see a list of those similar stories, born of a virgin, died and risen etc etc , I know that there are a number, and I remember when I first came across one such story as a young JW, it disturbed me, and went in to the Cognitive Dissonance file, so such a list may be of great use to us.

• enigma1863
    enigma1863

We could use their own logic against them regarding the Trinity and the Cross. They would say these were pagan since it was rooted in other religions. Major cognitive dissonance there.

• darthweef
    darthweef

There is a good reference on Talk Origins that lists the major flood myths and is tainted by WTBTS "truth" : http://talkorigins.org/faqs/flood-myths.html

• darthweef
    darthweef

Oops.. sorry knowsnothing .. didn't see your post.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit