Flood Story in every Culture?

by enigma1863 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• enigma1863
    enigma1863

Ok I’m looking for a specific religion and culture that has no flood story. Someone claimed that every religion/culture has a flood story. I disagree but I want to have a reference.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I am not aware of any known cultures without a flood myth.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I am not an expert on every culture and so I cannot say.. I always thought though (as a dub) that this line of argument was dodgy. If every culture has a flood story then it tends to downgrade the Bible account

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

Even the Australian Aborigines have a flood story so to me it just proves a good tale travels well.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Floods are a common human experience. Tsunamis, thawing ice, rising sea levels coupled with land erosion, all result in severe damage and were often thought to be a sign of anger of the gods.

Also ancient people would have found evidence of prehistoric oceans such as seashells and fossilised fish inland and on mountains and would have assumed that these were laid down by a great flood. So it is hardly surprising most cultures have flood stories.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

One thing I learned way back in 5th grade geography was that humans would settle near water, coastlines, lakes and river valleys, because of the transportation, agriculture and fishing that water provides. Populations would flourish there, and those are the cradles of great civilizations. Well guess what? Bodies of water are prone to flooding. These floods run in cycles, with some cycles being a century or more. With this in mind, it would be hard to find any significant culture that did NOT have a flood story. Apparently a 5th grade education trumps an Awake University degree.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The demonz spread the story to the pagans.

S

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

didnt one of the WT books give a list?

personally i wouldn't trust the book any further than i could throw it, but it might be a good research tool to see if (a) those alledged cultures really to have the fable, or (B) that the WT twisted research to make it look like they do...

Oz

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

personally i wouldn't trust the book any further than i could throw it, but it might be a good research tool to see if (a) those alledged cultures really to have the fable, or (B) that the WT twisted research to make it look like they do...

Me too because I love being able to confirm or deny any cited references they make with the aid of t'internet!!

WT must hate it.

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

please excuse the crappy formatting from the WT CD.

This is from the 'Gods word' book 1989 that claims a list of cultures that have flood stories.

Mankind Did Not Forget

37 Geology professor John McCampbell once wrote: “The essential differences between Biblical catastrophism [the Flood] and evolutionary uniformitarianism are not over the factual data of geology but over the interpretations of those data. The interpretation preferred will depend largely upon the background and presuppositions of the individual student.”

38 That the Flood did happen is seen in the fact that mankind never forgot it. All around the world, in locations as far apart as Alaska and the South Sea Islands, there are ancient stories about it. Native, pre-Columbian civilizations of America, as well as Aborigines of Australia, all have stories about the Flood. While some of the accounts differ in detail, the basic fact that the earth was flooded and only a few humans were saved in a man-made vessel comes through in nearly all versions. The only explanation for such a widespread acceptance is that the Flood was a historical event.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit