Jehovah's Witnesses and restaurant bills

by usualusername 50 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

There can be problems with ex-jws and bills...............We just ask to have separate checks.............

• tiki
    tiki

oh yeah...our worst was the "brother" who after all the fuss went back and stole the tip my hubby had left. nobody came up with enough $$ for the bill, much less the tip....so my hubby being the generous soul he is covered the tab, plus left a good tip. this dude actually made some excuse and went back and pocketed it.

then there was one CO who was known to befriend those who he knew would take him to $$$ restaurants and foot the bill....we became very good "friends" for a rather short while - same couple wanted us to go on an out-of-country vacation with them....we saw the handwriting on the wall and opted not to........

• Jadeen
    Jadeen

The last time I ate out with a bunch of JWs, half of them ate half or more of their meal, then claimed that it sucked and they wanted something else. I felt so sorry for our poor waitress.

• l p
    l p

i think the reason they are like this with money is bec they arent educated people....therefore very poor earners....

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

l p

there's nothing wrong with staying home and eating rice and beans if you're a poor earner!

• blondie
    blondie

People don't have to be "poor" to be cheapskates.

Whether jws or ex-jws or non-jws, I find people like this in all these groups. When we would go to a new congregation, it is amazing how these people would run up to be our friends. One experence was all it took to get their number, then other jws would mention their proclivity.

Our solution is to have separate checks including drinks and tip upfront. Don't like that....then don't come. Be sure the restaurant offers separate checks, puts separate drinks on that tab, and includes the tip on their tab. Otherwise select a different restaurant. Try choosing a restaurant that is not for millionaires....keep it reasonable so only flush jws aren't the only ones that can come.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

This reminds me of the secretary of the congregation we use to go to. We would go out to dinner and he would complain about his meal and then short the tip. I always threw in extra to cover it beause it wasn't right. Then he would give the part about the DC and tipping!! We got to the point where we wouldn't go out with them because of his behavior. They were also the couple that would order the small meal then eat off of everyone's plate!

• Think About It
    Think About It
    oh yeah...our worst was the "brother" who after all the fuss went back and stole the tip my hubby had left. nobody came up with enough $$ for the bill, much less the tip....so my hubby being the generous soul he is covered the tab, plus left a good tip. this dude actually made some excuse and went back and pocketed it.

WOW......this dipshit takes the cake. I'd like to hear how you caught him taking the tip, and if he knew you guys knew he took the tip. Was he an elder, MS, pioneer? What a lowlife to steal from the food server like that.

• blondie
    blondie

Once is on them

We got to the point where we wouldn't go out with them because of his behavior.

Twice is on you or us

Once we identified these leeches (only took once), never went out with them again. If the rest in the congregation who socialized with them continued doing so and being ripped off.......hard to sympathize.

BTW, non-jws do this too as well as ex-jws. The hard part is when they are close relatives

• happy@last
    happy@last

And I thought it was just Scottish JWs and my step father.

I've lost count the number of times I've paid 2 or 3 times the price of my families meal just to stop the embarrassment. I've never been in that position since leaving.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit