Jehovah's Witnesses and restaurant bills

by usualusername 50 Replies latest jw friends

• usualusername
    usualusername

Did you ever have the experience of going to a restaurant with witnesses and spending 30mins sorting out the restaurant bill?

Thats something I miss since leaving...

• DNCall
    DNCall

We once had a group of 15 or so musicians from the Watchtower orchestra dining at a very nice restaurant across from Carnegie Hall (Trattoria des Artistes--expensivo!). I am not exaggerating when I say it took over 15 minutes to apportion the bill. By that time, two of us were on the verge of simply splitting the bill between us, just to get out of there. There were at least two musicians with calculators. Thank god we weren't with a group of engineers or accountants!

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

All of my embarrassing restaurent situations have been with ignorant and tight fisted so called brothers.

Seems to be cultural.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

towards the end of my associating with these social idiots, I would just grab the bill because I just got tired of the bill getting handed back and forth, and people trying to split a nickle 3 ways

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

I think the part I hated the most were the familes who would join us and say "Our kids will share our plates, they don't eat every much!" So there I am, with my wife and the couple with four little kids who are begging their parents for food. As I start reach for the basket of french fries I ordered, their father say's "Hey do you mind if my kids share those french fries?" oh, well I guess that's ok. Same thing happened with the pizza I ordered for my table, after their parents ordered "tiny pizza 4 one" I ordered a Pepperoni Large with anchovies, bell peppers and the works" their father ask me "Can you order half of your pizza with just pepperoni on it? The kids don't like all those things you ordered!" I ask him "are you paying for half of my large? he said "no" than I am ordering what I want to order!

His kids ate half the pizza, took my fries and he only paid for his "pizza 4 one" special. Not even a offer to cover the pitcher of Coke his kids swiped from me. This brotherhood is something I do not miss, they are all tightwads!

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I've paid my fair share of $20 coffees

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

wha happen, $20 coffees, I heard horror stories of people taking out Bethelites to Momma Leona's in New York before they closed down. Bethelites might order the highest priced items on the menu because they were like "Shadrach, Meshach and Abendego" and needed to indulge in the King's sumptous plates. Oh, No, I think they ate veggies and fruit and avoided the rich foods of the King's Palace in Babylon, it's JWs in high places who enjoy taking a bite out of their friend's wallet!

• Zordino
    Zordino

This phenomenon must be Global. Every Jaydub that me and my inactive Buddies have ever dealt with has been tighter than a Frog ass! Why are they so freakin Cheap? What is the Phsychology behind their weird behavior towards monitary issues? Can anyone give me an answer? Are all cults Cheap asses?

• ÁrbolesdeArabia
    ÁrbolesdeArabia

Zordino, they are tightwads who fight each other, they avoid overpayinging by a penny. Thank Jehovah for the cellphone calculator function with taxrates and tips(not all dubs tip!) to avoid torn friendships due to one person over paying too much of the meal ticket. "That brother ripped me off of $0.63 cents usd and never thanked me for covering that portion of the tip! Hard feelings over 63 cents!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

There were a number of times a huge group would go out and then when it came to settliing the bill, it would go around, people put their bit in and then I'd add up and make sure - and there would be no tip - and I know that I had put in say 30 bucks. A couple of people would actuallly no pay and try to get away with it. I would say to everyone that it was impossible that this was the bill and then would go through and check with each person.

I then started seperating my bill from theirs. I'd run a totally seperate tab because it just became too embaressing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit