UK House of Commons Vote on Gay Marriage Later Today

by cofty 29 Replies latest social current

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

From everything I've seen the vote is not even going to be close - around 400 for and 150 against.

I guess it's mildly amusing to watch thick religious bigots make fools of themselves on TV for the day. But they get way more coverage than they deserve.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Good to hear.

• cantleave
    cantleave

WooHoo - The vote was

400 to 175

• perfect1
    perfect1

I take back everything I said about you Brits and your procedural tea times.

God Save the Queen!

• cantleave
  • THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

So gay marriage is to now be allowed in the UK. I live near Brighton the gay capital of the south coast. They run bars and restaurants there. The gay people are the nicest people you could meet. Mind you, I have only ever tried the food. I am married - why should gay people be let off?

• cantleave
    cantleave

why should gay people be let off?

Yeah we all have the right to suffer equally

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

If any-one wants to follow the progress of the Bill here is the link.

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/2012-13/marriagesamesexcouplesbill.html

• cofty
    cofty

I was out watching Skyfall so I missed the vote. Good news, common sense and fairness held the day.

More than half of the tory MPS voted against it. The Conservative party is still stuck in the past.

• 88JM
    88JM

So if this progresses so that equal marriage is legally recognized (assuming legislation gets through the House of Lords), it will be interesting to see if this situation arises in the JWs:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/245608/1/What-happens-when-a-legally-married

They may not be "forced" to carry out same sex marriages under the new legislation, but surely they have to recognize them by law? Surely they can't go telling people to get divorced so they can join the religion? I know in reality this is a very unlikely situation, but it's possible, no?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit