UK House of Commons Vote on Gay Marriage Later Today

by cofty 29 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

The vote could go either way.

Only 36% of the British public oppose gay marriage so there is no real political danger to the government.

David Cameron is for it but the cabinet is split.

It will be a test for the Tories. Are they still the reactionary dinosaurs we think they are?

The minority of the public who do care about it do so with passion.

From today's Guardian...

With emotions running high on both sides of the debate ahead of the House of Commons vote tomorrow, one MP told The Independent that a number of his colleagues were intending to vote for the Gay Marriage Bill because of the “appalling” nature of the emails they had received.

Meanwhile the gay Conservative MP Conor Burns, who has not publicly stated how he will vote, complained that he had been attacked from both the gay and Christian communities. “The whole thing is deeply unpleasant and people are saying things that you wouldn’t say to people you despised or hated,” he said. “I don’t know what kind of God some of those people who have contacted me from religious groups believe in – but he’s certainly not compassionate or loving.”

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Here's a couple of funnies on this issue:

They touch on an interesting issue. In Yahweh's spiritual paradise there does seem (anecdotally) that quite a few gay males married girls. I understand that this issue was discussed in a GB meeting.

Anyway, here's the promised funnies.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6846855/gay-men-will-marry-your-girlfriends

And from China, where Confucian attitudes about having children have led to the vast majority of gay men being married, a dispute between the just married bride and the groom's ex bf.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km98UzdRIkY

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

Good luck on the vote Brits.

• cofty
  • cantleave
    cantleave

Let's hope common sense prevails over prejudice.

• Amelia Ashton
  • Amelia Ashton
  • Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

That's great news, for the West at least. The rest of the world needs to play some serious catch-up, and it isn't happening anytime soon. Gays continue to be persecuted violently all over Africa (particularly Uganda) and the Islamic world.

• cofty
    cofty

The vote will be around 19:00 GMT this evening

• bohm
    bohm

Fingers crossed; at the rate tpposition is loosing the culture war its only a matter of time, i hope it is now..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit