“RipV Winkle‘s“ - Word Phrases NOT TO BE Confused With Similar Words Phrases

by rip van winkle 20 Replies latest social humour

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

“RipV Winkle‘s“ - Word Phrases NOT TO BE Confused With Similar Words Phrases
    ~~~ Or what I didn’t know until I dipped my toe in a JW Discussion Pool~~~

Ad Hominem- Appealing to people’s emotions and beliefs rather than logic or reason.

~~ Not To Be Confused With:

Ad Homonym- Add

````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

MacGuffin - Device giving impetus to plot: in a movie , play, or book, something that starts or drives the action of the plot but later turns out to be unimportant

[Mid-20th century. Coined by Alfred Hitchcock.]

~~Not To Be Confused With:

McMuffin- Delicious breakfast sandwich from McDonalds giving impetus to a craving of egg, sausage and cheese on an English muffin but later turns out to be unhealthy.

[Mid-20th century. Coined by Ray Kroc.]

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Sock puppet- . A false online identity used for deceptive purposes.

Sock puppet- A home-made “dummy” using a sock for deceptive purposes: To entertain its Creator and fool the trusting neophyte in consuming dangling Carrots on Sticks … um, their Veggies and Well-Seasoned Catfish ...or um, a Red Herring …um, um… BRAIN FOOD! Uh-Huh! Yea, Brain Food, Dummy!

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Socratic irony- Profession of ignorance while questioning another in order to arrive to the truth.

Socratic ironing- Professional maid feigning ignorance while questioning employer in order to be given another demonstration on “how” to iron his shirts .

`````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

Straw man fallacy- Unimportant issue or person: an issue or person of little importance or relevance, brought up to be shown as an easily defeatable idea or adversary.

[U.K. term- man of straw = Aunt Sally]

Straw man phallus- Unimportant issue (tool) of the Scarecrow that made him impotent, irrelevant and easily defeatable by the witch’s henchmen for Dorothy, and very, very, testy.

[U.K. term -man of straw = Auntie Em]

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

I have heard a Witness use the word "fallacy" as an adjective referring to phallic symbols. It was one of those "don't look up to see if other people are looking around" moments because I was trying not to have a WTF reaction on my face.

• compound complex
    compound complex

This helpful information, rip.

Hortensia cleared up the diff between flout and flaunt for me.

Had never occurred to me.

Thanks!

CC

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

This brought back memories. We had a brother in our hall (his first language wasn't English) and he would misread Gentile as Genital. Did make for some funny moments.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

The first person who witnessed to me used a derogatory word for the female anatomy.

She misused that word in reference to a cow chewing its "C ** T" when she meant CUD.

I had to explain the difference of those words to a 24 year old.

~~~~~~~

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

OMG RIP< THAT IS JUST TOO FUNNY. I CAN'T STOP LAUGHING.

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

Foreign Brother giving the concluding prayer asked that we be forgiven our "fallen shorts" instead of being forgiven where we "fall short". Muffled giggling could be heard throughout the KH. At least there was the occasional entertainment at the meeting.

• Glander
    Glander

There was a young Bro. who had to read aloud several quotes from the Song of Solomon. He read every word that was supposed to be "breasts" as "beasts".

• nuthouse escapee
    nuthouse escapee

LMAO, Glander

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Throng- A large crowd. Largely obsolete; only used in some Bibles and by the Watchtower writing department.

Thong- Fun underwear.

~~How to tell the difference:
    People do not gather publicly in thongs except on European beaches. When in doubt as to the proper word, apply the principle of "better safe than sorry" and use "throng".

~~Pro tip:

Practice saying the 'r' in "throng" in private before giving a Watchtower reading in front of the congregation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit