“RipV Winkle‘s“ - Word Phrases NOT TO BE Confused With Similar Words Phrases

by rip van winkle 20 Replies latest social humour

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Apognophos- Fallacy!!!

CoCo! you're too nice to flout at anyone!!

Leslie! I hope I remember fallen shorts- that's funny!!

Glander! -Do you think the brother misread or was he too repressed and embarrassed to say the word "breasts'? I wonder if he ever orderd a beast of chicken in a restaurant!?

Apognophous- You get extra bonus points for the addition of throng and thong!!

(For the young ones- What's funny too is back in the olden days what is now known as flip-flops used to be called thongs!)

• Glander
    Glander

Glander! - Do you think the brother misread or was he too repressed and embarrassed to say the word "breasts'? I wonder if he ever orderd a beast of chicken in a restaurant!?

There was never any question that he was too embarrassed to pronounce "breasts".

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I can't even begin to count the times I heard that we should "Prostate" ourselves to Jehovah instead of "Prostrate".

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

It's an old wise tale that bottles the mind kind of like fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on ...whatever

• Mum
    Mum

I did take a university cours in Logic. The textbook was the one by Copi. If I recall correctly, we learned that "ad hominem" meant "against the man," i.e., it attempts to discredit the individual rather than the argument he/she is making. An example would be discrediting what someone said by calling him/her a "sidewalk psychologist" or something similar.

I'm not saying "ad hominem" is not what you said, rvw, but am just letting you know the way I learned it, or a different perspective.

Regards,

SandraC

• Terry
    Terry

What's funny too is back in the olden days what is now known as flip-flops used to be called thongs!

If a thong is all you're wearing there could very well be a lot of flip-flop going on!

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

There was never any question that he was too embarrassed to pronounce "breasts

Glander- That poor brother must have forgotten that he also has breasts! What bust he have been thinking!!! Tit's a shame!

~~~~~

Sooner7nc-I can't even begin to count the times I heard that we should "Prostate" ourselves to Jehovah instead of "Prostrate".

Now, prostate ourselves is a good one!!! I would have liked to see him try! I would have liked to see the women try!! Wonder if the Bros were too embarrassed to correct him or if they also misapplied the word! I guess we may never know the whole truth of that matter.

~~~

It's an old wise tale that bottles the mind kind of like fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on ...whatever

Nancy Drew- I know exactly what you are saying! (Rip shakes her head *No, not really!*) LOL!!!!! Are you talking about Shamus100? Then I understand. (Rip shakes her head *No, I don't!!!*)

Nancy has boggled my mind with a bottle and has put me to shame! I feel a fool. And boy did that fool feel good! The second time he felt even better!!

~~~

Hi Mum! Thank you for your additional information on the topic Re: “RipV Winkle‘s“ - Word Phrases NOT TO BE Confused With Similar Words Phrases

The definition of Ad hominem came directly from The American Heritage College Dictionary!! Ad and Hominem are Latin! I didn't know I was speaking Latin! I did speak an unusual pig latin passed down from one side of my family tree, but alas, although I really understood it , I could not speak it well, at all. Now, it is a language that will be lost forever. No, Mum, it was not the "igpay atinlay"(pig latin) people may be accustomed to, but a magnificent sorta hog wash that out ubby dubbied the "ZOOM" ubby dubby language! This pig latin was using the letter G and then taking…??? (I really am bad at languages.) And it replaced consonants. But, because Rip is learning disabled, she was unable to learn, but was fascinated with how her real life MoM spoke it fluently. Rip's sibling also had the innate ability and was fluent in this wonderful Latin language, but my Mom is no more. The sibling is dead to me. The language lives on only in the bits and bytes of memory somewhere stashed in the dark recesses of my mind. I hope this pig's tale didn't boar you!!! But, I digress. Sometimes when I don't, I take a prevacid. I wonder if the name 'Prevacid' came from Latin? I know I got it at the drug store, but that's where I buy most of my drugs. I also really like the Latin that speak Spanish, Portuguese, and French!!! But anyway, again, that's a whole other subject. Well, there seems to be a big storm brewing so I gotta go!

Latin: ad/ English:to

Latin: hominem/ English:accusative of homo, man

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If a thong is all you're wearing there could very well be a lot of flip-flop going on!

Good one, Terry!!

• Glander
    Glander

Interesting history on the "thongs" "flip flops" footwear history.

I remember when the were commonly called "go aheads" for obvious reasons. Our uncle was with Pan Am in the fifties and he would bring them back from Japan.

• Tiktaalik
    Tiktaalik

They're thongs here in Australia. Footwear I mean. Tshirt, shorts and thongs and you're set for a big night out on the town.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We had a reader utter "the Anals of History" , and another confused Orgasm with organism.

All Jehovah's Witnesses use "The Truth" incorrectly, what they are taliking off is nowhere near Truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit