Is anyone here hooked on Downton Abbey?

by exwhyzee 44 Replies latest social current

• mercedes_29
    mercedes_29

I loved the show the first time I watched it. Surpsisingly my husband enjoys it too. I love the costumes and pretty much any of Violet's lines.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Some of my Facebook friends went online and took a "Which-Character-Are-You on Downton Abbey" quiz. I took it as well. I am Mr. Bates, who is the character who I most closely identify with.

I'm the Irish Chauffeur by nature and by birthplace,with Matthew overtones because of his height and hair color/style. Lady Sybil was a beauty but for some reason Edith is getting cuter and cuter to me. Cousin Violet is a hoot, which is fitting because she looks like an Ostrich LOL! Shirley Mclaine really gave her a run for her money (literally and figuratively) in terms of being able to deliver the comebacks and hold her own in the money power play .

My great Grandmother came from a "landed" family and was related to Sophie Rhys Jones (Prince Edwards Wife) and lived during the Downtown era. Her Father and Sophies Great Grandfather were Brothers. From the photos I've seen of her and from what my Mother and her four Sisters remember having grown up under her watchful eye, she was a grand old lady like Cousin Violet and very status conscious. For instance, before they'd enter the village church on Sundays, she, still in her Victorian attire would straighten herself, shush her giggling grand daughters and say in her most pious voice" Quiet girls...you must remember who you are" They'd make their grand entrance but the girls would be thinking "just who the hell are we supposed to be anyway?"

• designs
    designs

My wifes loves it, then there is BANSHEE for the rest of us.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

After a disappointing SuperBowl outcome, it's nice to have Downton to look forward to.

First, Bubble Bath.

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

I love Donwton too.

British TV must be ahead of you............................ let me tell you what happens next, WELL..................

What? You don't want me to tell you??

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Too many explosions and car chases for me....I mean the show has a "Master Bates" in it enough said.

• happy@last
    happy@last

I love it, it is very well written.

• flamegrilled
    flamegrilled

First class TV. What I have come to appreciate is that there are no "fillers" in the dialogue and plot. It is very carefully written so that everything said has some bearing on the ongoing shift in social and class structure that is taking place. Good cast. Good production. Nothing bad to say really. And I am not a general fan of period movies/TV.

We've watched it to the end of series 3, and I'm pleased to hear that they will shortly start filming series 4.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Looks like Mrs. O'brien is stirring the pot again.

• dreamgolfer
    dreamgolfer

Hey it's all Great! but...remember one thing, in the Manor Houses of "yor" - Yorkshire lads and lasses, Eastenders , Liverpudlians and Bristolians NEVER worked together...let alone be able to understand each other - It would have been like the Tower of Babel down in the basement

That is just good TV folks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit