The Flaklands belong to Uruguay!

by Splash 94 Replies latest social current

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

No apologies needed, mate. I do congratulate you on your work with ex-JWs though. I'm sure many find it useful (and no, that is NOT sarcasm).

• cedars
    cedars

Emilie

No apologies needed, mate. I do congratulate you on your work with ex-JWs though. I'm sure many find it useful (and no, that is NOT sarcasm).

Thank you very much! Nice that we can agree on that issue.

Cedars

So Splash -

Is that what you were looking for by starting this thread?

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Oh oh another war over a piece of rock.

• Splash
    Splash

Hi LasMalvinas,

I was hoping to get some comments on Uruguays claim to the islands, but that little point seemed to get lost along the way.

I think the easiest way to resolve this political problem would be for GB to colonise Argentina. Remove the antagonism and sort out Argentinas corruption and economy all in one go.

Win win!

• besty
    besty

I love Argentina as a nation, as all true Scots do - particularly after Diego's hand in the defeat of the common enemy - the English Football Team - in 1986.

Let's take a moment to reflect:

Our Diego, who is on the pitches,

Hallowed be thy left hand, bring us your magic. Make your goals remembered on earth as in heaven,

Give us some magic every day, forgive the English, as we have forgiven the Napolitan Mafia,

Don't let yourself get caught offside and free us from Havelange and Pelé .

Diego

With that said, The Falklands are British and will remain so. Don't cry for them Argentina, move on.

God will grant your wishes - Diego Volente as we say in Scotland :-)

Splash -

I'd have to read the book and check their sources before coming to a conclusion on that one either way. I am left to speculate. From what little I can gather from that article, it depends on whether or not you believe in the principle of a 'successor state'. Uruguay was created as a buffer state by Spain and Portugal to placate Portugal's claims to the area. Many in Argentina view Uruguay as a sister country of equal status, and they also use the Sun of May in their flag as they were born out of the same revolution. If it came to it, Uruguay's claim would be the weakest out of all three states involved as they have never formally claimed it nor has there ever been any Uruguayan administration of any kind. They would have to register the new claim with the UN in 2013 and stand in line. Realistically, Uruguay would irritate both Argentina and the UK for no good reason if they all of a sudden stood up, and it's difficult to see what this would accomplish. Neither would your tongue-in-cheek suggestion of a UK annexation of Argentina. I think these two guys want to sell some books more than advance a real solution to the dispute.

• Splash
    Splash

Sorry, couldn't resist tempting a retort. You saw right through me!!

The good thing about this island dispute is that it will never lead to a world war. China and Japan on the other hand...

Splash

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Wow! I have missed quite a bit. I love that the argument of generations long since past that many would prefer to forget, somehow yields relevence to current conflicts.

I honestly believe it is simpler than that. The islands are a hop skip and a jump from Argentina. They really seem to belong to Argentina from a reasonable standpoint. The residents however wish to remain British and that cannot be ignored. The dubious claims of various nations on the islands throughout the years aside, a compromise would be fairly simple. Like most things in Argentinas history, when things are bad, you whip up the national fervor in an attempt to distract. It is exactly what happened in 1982, where both Argentinians and British both died.

So now, witht he current (and constant) economic issues creating a grumbling majority, the nationalism is whipped up about the islands in order to distract.

Britain could easily defuse this and do the "right thing", by drawing up a treaty of sorts that allows a shared revenue and cost sharing of the mineral and oil exploration. Argentina could give full support, the islands would remain British, Argentinians could freely visit and use it as a territory, and they could carve out special excemptions.

If the Argentinian President refuses any sort of compromise, than too bad. The international support would rest squarely with Great Britain (except for Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, and Venezuela), and they could keep the status quo.

It simply cannot be overlooked that reasonably, the islands are related tot he Argentinian mainland. Its not like California would allow the Santa Cruz islands to be part of Mexico if there were enough Mexicans living on them for them to want to be part of mexico.

• perfect1
    perfect1

You British are such property minded Imperialists.

There is a reason the colonies revolted!

God Bless America!

O say can you see by the dawn's early light,
    What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming,
    Whose broad stripes and bright stars through the perilous fight,
    O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming?
    And the rockets' red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there;
    O say does that star-spangled banner yet wave,
    O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

Slightly tongue in cheek- but good grief!

I would love to have a real tea with any one of you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit