The Flaklands belong to Uruguay!

by Splash 94 Replies latest social current

• james_woods
    james_woods

james woods - I appreciate your comments about our national property, but you need not come to my defence in all this. I can handle these imperialists! The battle for the Malvinas wont be solved one way or another on JWN. I'll try to Wibble more often.

Emilie

I know that, Emilie - I have noted you with great honor on Wibble.

For what it matters, I was on the Argentinian side during the actual war -

and I somehow doubt that you were old enough to know about it then.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

James, on what conceivable grounds can you form a case for the Falklands belonging to Argentina.

Oh, geographical proximity. That's all!

They're British from history, British because Argentinian aggression was repelled, and most important of all British because the Falklanders choose to be British.

If geographical proximity is what matters, then clearly Alaska belongs to Russia!

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Alaska was sold by Russia in 1867. No such sale occurred in 1833.

• Satanus
    Satanus

We have SO many british here in canader, they would feel even more at home w us than w their wrinkled old motherland. Afterall, all the brits here couldn't be wrong, could they?

S

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

"Alaska was sold by Russia in 1867. No such sale occurred in 1833."

Irrelevant. The Russians sold what was theirs. The Argentine didn't own the Falklands. You can't sell what you don't own.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

So Argentina needed to show a receipt? The receipt for the Malvinas is somewhere in Madrid. Look and you might find it next to Columbus' long-lost ship logs.

Where's the one for the Shetlands? The British Raj? Hong Kong? The Ulster Colony? All different flavours of soda, but all coming out of the same fountain.

• Diest
    Diest

This thread is ok but I really think the Quebec thread is crushing you. Perhaps a little more mutual shit talking is need. Emilie do you have any more Argentine Tango Dancers who will join JWN to fight with the Waltzing Brits?

• prologos
    prologos

Satanus: yes Canada would be great with a southeren presence. remember, (je me souviens) canada fought with a expedionary force in that southern latitude in the Boer/ South African war, so there is practise, a precedent. could be done again.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Hi Splash, Your name just reminded me of a TV program here in USA, it's called "Shark Tank" time for you to swim to safety, they are biting, sharks have no compassion, they like the smell of blood.

Shalom

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

The Faklands have withdrawn the offer for their foreign minister to meet representatives of the Falklan Islands in the talks planned next week in London with the British Foreign Secretary William Hague.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/feb/01/uk-disappointed-argentina-talks-falklands

The meeting was arranged back in December. Now Argentina has announced that it isn't willing to talk directly with the islanders.

What's this? On the one hand, we have Emilie here using the terms imperialist and Empire about Britain, and yet Cristina Fernandez is clearly unwilling even to listen to the Falklanders themselves and give them a chance to express their point of view. I think Argentina has shown the world just what they really think of democracy, in spite of all their swagger.

It's such a pity that an otherwise lovely, civilised and cultured country should want to control others so much that they won't even talk or listen.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit