The Flaklands belong to Uruguay!

by Splash 94 Replies latest social current

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Chariklo,

Thank you for that. While I understand what you are saying, most long standing conflicts such as this have multiple stories and angles at which to view them. The British has had an administation since the 1830's you are correct. Argentina claims that the Spainish held it prior to the british, and that they received it when they became independant. There is confusion as to wether the Portugese, English, French, or Spanish "found" it first in the 16 century. The spanish and english both arrived and left, claiming it as they went (as as was the custom of annexing land at the time).

Since we live in a more civilized time, and it makes sense that the island 300 miles off the coast of Argentina should belong to it, I would say it would be the right thing to work with Argentina on a mutually beneficial arrangement if they are willing. The nationalism of Argentina may not allow them to do this, and the UK does not HAVE TO do a damn thing because the resident want to be British. They have access to GB, europe, and a social safety net. If they became Argentina, they would have none of that. So no duh that they want to be British. :)

It belongs to the UK. End of story. But they can do the "right thing" and share the resources in a way beneficial for all, without releasing their claim to the land.

Recognizing annexing land claims on the other side of the world made centuries past is kind of beyond the 21st century. This is why the UK needs to find a solution if Argentina is agreeable. It is entirely possible the Spanish landed first. Their plaque still stands, as does the english one I believe.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

There's a good timeline here that might help, as well as a great .pdf somewhere

http://falklandstimeline.wordpress.com/

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

Hey Charliklo,

You probably realize not all of that British produced timeline is without dispute. Please understand my poition is not that the UK should pack up and leave. But as with most things, it isn't that black and white.

Since we live in the 21st century and colonies are frowned upon as a vestige of a former time when those that could traverse the globe dominated every piece of land they saw, I think it would be the honorable thing to do to seek compromise and work in a mutually beneficial way.

I could move a bunch of Mexicans to Catalina island off the coast of California and they could then say they wanted to be governed by Mexico and that Catalina was in fact at one time Mexicos. So what? You think that would fly?

The UK could realize that a long time ago they claimed some islands that weren't really theres in hind sight. Then they could say but the inhabitants wich to keep the status quo. So why don't we create a partnership in exploration of the mineral rights and all that jazz, in order to preserve peace and settle it once and for all. If Argentina gets in a huff and demands the islands be theres (which is entirely possible), then forget it. They can say they tried. :)

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Problemaddict, do you mean you don't think the Falklanders should be allowed to choose their own destiny and future?

And if they vote a particular way, should that choice not be respected?

• cofty
    cofty
    This is why the UK needs to find a solution if Argentina is agreeable.

Argentina invaded and British soldiers died, therefore we have a permanent solution - the Falkland Islands are British.

• prologos
    prologos

just as a warsick observer: thank you Chariko for settling the dispute ---about the the GENERATION question

-- 2013- 1765/9=27.6years= 1 generation.

Cofty: negotiating Falkland is political suicide? Which American party was in power when the Panama canal was ceded? Does not apply because the canal is a hole and the falklands are mountains, hills? Dig this joke.

The falklands have direct radii to the south pole, and a great nation like Britain should have a say there.

By invading Argentina waved the rules, Britain rules the waves.

why the name Mal-vinas? They tried growing grapes there and it turned out sour. bad=mal.

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

"By invading Argentina waved the rules."

Or rather, more accurately, by invading the Falkland Islands the Argentinians waived the rules.

• james_woods
    james_woods
    why the name Mal-vinas? They tried growing grapes there and it turned out sour. bad=mal.

Perhaps the term is in the practical sense - descriptive.

I like Malvinas of Argentina.

She Wibbles Well.

I wonder why she has not been here with us yet.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Let's start a pool. Let's set the over/under on her first post to 700 words. Any takers?

First post right here. You lose.

Emilie

• james_woods
    james_woods

I told you so.

James

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit