Who is the Israel of God? Used one in scripture, claimed by Christians everywhere!

by nibbled 73 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Pterist
    Pterist

*** exgensis**** exeges ! Hermeneucts !

Sorry, do you have an iPad or iPhone, ? It completes and charges words, and sometimes in my haste I don't see the changes. Also, my spelling is atrocious! as some of people here have pointed out, and more have observed. I hate having to stop and check every dot and tittle ~ and review later, I feel like every word is going to be scrutinized by a professor on this forum lol, so writing is not easy for me. sorry. However, I don't think it's a big stretch of anyone's imagination to see the "spirit" of my comment in its context, as bad as that may be also. However, nit pickers (not you) are abound, but most people will look at motivation and hate the BS of personal attacks, off subject, which I have been guilty off also...is that one f or two ! Not sure lol, but you get my point ?

Case in point was the contrast on physical promises and blessings, the sacrificial cult, and "stories" in the OT, whether historically correct or not, typically called antitypes in the OT are show their SPIRITUAL significance in the NT. Jesus himself the personified Wisdom of God in the OT was a master at stories and parables, as said to Nicodemus (spelling check) if I speak of heavenly / spiritual things how will you understand ? You must be born from above ! eat my flesh, drink my blood, guilty of cannibalism in most countries, abhorrent to his listeners, but not to his followers, who got it, ...it's ...wait for it ...a spiritual message.

I appreciate your search for truth and I hope I can learn more from you. Sorry again for my difficulty in communication skills, but I hope you see some saving grace, in the spirit of it, as no agenda, a desire to learn from others and to share my thoughts (spelling) and experiences, warts and all.

Shalom in Christ

• nibbled
    nibbled

Uh oh. There are warts!? :)

I didn't notice the spelling, I knew what you meant, and either way, I basically just know both words as the idea of explaining or examing scriptures.

I do have an iPad/iPhone and know what you mean. I'm not gonna pick on people for that! It was more the idea.

I learned that there are technical terms like "type" and "hermetics" (was the the word?) or whatever, but when I considered learning all that in my study of scripture, two things hit me. One, it's not how Christ explained it, and two, that would be like going to school and I'm not that interested in that kind of discussion. Like Christ, I find myself drawn to "the people" over the academics. When I read "academic" works it generally makes me have to read three times over to understand because it's so busy sounding smart... and then I think how few people even have the luxury! Ugh. Nope. I'll stay more childlike in my acceptance of the kingdom!

So you'll end up noticing a lack of those words in my writing, simply for the fact they're not in my vocabulary, and you'll have to forgive me if I miss a point that would have been clear had I bothered to learn the words.

I do however adore the parables, and they are beautiful! They tell precisely, in order, the story. The story of the man with his vineyard and sending the men who they kept killing. (Acts 7:52) The story of the virgins when the bridegroom comes for the bride. (1 Cor 15:23,51,52; 1 Thess 4:15-17) The story of the wedding feast the King prepares for his son but the guests who weren't properly attired to attend. (Rev 7:14)

So I guess what I'm saying is that I understand that some things have signifigance as parables which reveal kingdom truth, but I don't "spiritualize" anything. The prophecies of the old covenant (see the difference that using covenant means there) will come true, I believe, not because they come "spiritually" true (or in a "spiritualized" sense), but literally true.

Another way to put it is that most Christians appear to take what is yet to be fulfilled of the old covenant prophecies, ignore that they are OLD COVENANT, and apply them in a SPIRITUALIZED manner to the NEW covenant.

In a math equation, when solving the problem, if you do something to one side you have to do the same to the other.

Say you have 4 of 25 and you want to figure out percent. You could multiply both sides by 4 ending up with 16 of 100. Then I would imagine that 4 of 25 is 16%. The point? If you don't do the same operation to both sides you cannot come to the correct conclusion.

Thus, when our Father sent his prophets to Israel and Judah and let them prophesy all these prophecies to both nations... what did it mean to them? Was it only going to come true in a SPIRITUALIZED sense? No, they believed him, both for the good and bad, when they believed. The bad happened immediately and came true, not in a spiritual sense, but literally.

Thus, the finale of the prophecies of the old covenant should be true literally as well.

If you have Jewish friends who have kept the Law, as faithfully as we try to keep following Christ, then perhaps you'll consider this story and see what I saw?...

Jeremiah 35 is the chapter about the "faithful Recabites". Jeremiah was to go to them where they lived, invite them to the temple, then offer them wine.

Now, what does wine symbolize for us?

Jeremiah tells God, "I set cups and jugs of wine before them and invited them to have a drink, but they refused."

Yet, God tells him, "‘Jehonadab son of Recab will always have descendants who serve me.’"

Why? (Please go read for yourself, YouVersion.com has every version but the NWT basically! It's quick, share it with me!)

It's a fascinating story. It was literally true, and it reveals truth in symbols as well. But does it mean the conclusion won't literally be, but only spiritually speaking, true?

No! God's word never lies.

So from this story I immediately (when reading straight through) though of my Jewish girlfriend who invited me once to her Sadar (I attended). She keeps the Laws, I don't know to what extent, because I couldn't judge. But she's Jewish and joyous and keeping faithful with all her heart—and I imagine that it is her and her family which will see the fulfillment of the old prophecies.

The likelihood of her coming to accept Christ as the Messiah before his return is low. But will her faithfulness not be rewarded? Of course! There are OLD COVENANT rewards, and there are NEW covenant rewards. She'll have missed out on the opportunity to be in the new covenant and the hope it holds for heaven. But she'll receive rich rewards when she does recognize the Messiah at his return, and realizes that he was and is the Christ (don't you love how they gave us language which makes it clear?!) and will receive the rewards due to her through the old covenant promises.

Thus Abraham and Sarah will have children shine in heaven as numerous as the stars, and on earth as numerous as the sand of the sea.

They'll be in the sky like stars, but won't be stars, they'll be on the earth like sand, but not be sand.

Does all this make sense? (I see the differences like spiritual, figurative, literal, symbolic, etc) I don't know how to bring people into what I've been seeing.

When he took Abram out to see the stars, I went with him out of the tent and looked up with him. (Like the way the Princess Bride movie unfolds out of the grandfather reading the book to his grandson.) Him looking up into the deep dark blue and all the twinkling stars. (Yeah, I put the keyword in there, with a twinkling of my eye!) He probably didn't imagine that his children would be up there like stars in the sky. No, if he believed that, IF, then it was because that belief (from faith) was given to him, not because it came from his own mind (not imagined).

Further, while we don't have Israelites (of 10-tribe northern kingdom) around which we can identify to talk to, we know that the Jews still pray for their brothers (Israel/Ephraim) return in their rituals. The Jews still believe, despite Christians stealing their prophecies and saying that they'll be 'spiritually' fulfilled in Christendom, by spiritual Jews and spiritual Israel (i.e Christians), that they will see the fulfillment of the prophecies... to return to their land, to rest, in peace in the land. They have never dreamed of going to heaven, they've always believed in paradise earth. (But the Christians are busy trying to snatch up all rewards, they're supposed to be in heaven, not on earth! Oh, the Christian Pharisees!)

That's what's funny about Jehovah's Witnesses. They're more of a Jewish perspective than a Christian one. Old Covenant hope is the paradise, New Covenant is the heaven.

But what are you going to do? Speaking of them, these words seem so apropos, "How terrible it will be for you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the door to the kingdom from heaven in people's faces. You don't go in yourselves, and you don't allow those who are trying to enter to go in."

Trying to tie this back to the thread topic, the Israel of God may produce people who were of the old covenant but become (still can! limited time only! offer available in all states. void any who prohibit it.) of the new covenant. The Israel of God is those of the old covenant, and in the one time that it was written in scripture, it refers to those Jewish Christians of the old covenant who were in the presence of the new covenant and were trying to get new covenant people to become old covenant too. But you can't be in two places at once, can you?

• tec
    tec

You may be the first person who believes as I do.

No, definitely not ;)

I'm wondering, did I miss something. Some parentheses of thought?

Maybe...

I don't think so, your mention of Israel is distinct and contrasted against the great multitude, thus you must accept them as flesh descendants of the tribe.

Yes.

Bride is of Israel, the body of the Groom is made up of all nations, as you would expect that his household would be, as he is King of the world!

Israel and the nations make up the Bride. (I said Body, meaning bride/body as synonyms to the same thing)

The marriage brings all things into unity into one family, one household ruling in heaven.

One yes... (I did not say heaven though... but they are one, yes)

And… drum roll please, so you also believe that back on earth those who were promised the land, and the earth, will receive just that, no more than they were promised, but much less than they could have obtained, if only they'd had faith…!?

Like a earthly class and a heavenly class? If that is what you mean, then I disagree on this matter.

The body/bride of Christ (the 144 and the great crowd) rule as kings and priests with Christ (for a thousand years) in the Kingdom. But others (subjects) are also invited into the Kingdom (the same place). These are the sheep (from the sheep/goats parable), as well as those written in the lamb's book of life.

Peace,

tammy

• Pterist
    Pterist

I allways had a great affinity for the "Jewish" nation and how God selected them as his people. I look with great interest at the conflicts going on around Israel and entertain ideas of prophetic signifiences that might be occuring before my very eyes. I greatly desire seeing a visible presence of Christ coming and like he said "as a hen gathering her chicks under her wings"

If I am persuaded that I'm living in a Bibical time table @ Rev. 20:1-7....I am then left with many unanswered questions as to what exactly is going to happen @ Rev. 20:7-9. This part looks very PHYSICAL (not spiritualized ) to me. Who are the Holy Ones ? , I don't believe there is ONLY ONE group of Christians, the wheat and weed are together! Is this physical Israel the beloved city ? however, I can't see a return to animinal sacrifices, that would undo Christs final work...

Regardless of the time on the Bibical clock, I should be doing what I'm suppose to be doing, maturing in Christ 2 Peter 1:3-11, 1 Peter 3:11-17 and "preaching" the good news Romans 1:16-17, Galatians 1:6-16

Food for thought ? Comments, replies, outbursts :) lol

Shalom in HIm.....Unity in the divine Life, (that is in Father, Son, and Spirit) he died to share ! That they may all be one !

• Pterist
    Pterist

**** it refers to those Jewish Christians of the old covenant who were in the presence of the new covenant and were trying to get new covenant people to become old covenant too. But you can't be in two places at once, can you? *****

You are so interesting refreshing !

Yes, Jesus was in both, he came under law, fulfilled all requirements, relieved all blessings and promises.

The physical Israelites, James 1:1, and Matthew 15:32 were both.

Ephesians 2: Shows the problem for the gentile and the solution ! No ?

11 Therefore remember that formerly you, the Gentiles in the flesh, who are called “Uncircumcision” by the so-called “Circumcision,” which is performed in the flesh by human hands— 12 remember that you were at that time separate from Christ, excluded from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who formerly were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. 14 For He Himself is our peace, who made both groups into one and broke down the barrier of the dividing wall, 15 by abolishing in His flesh the enmity, which is the Law of commandments contained in ordinances, so that in Himself He might make the two into one new man, thus establishing peace, 16 and might reconcile them both in one body to God through the cross, by it having put to death the enmity. 17 A ND H E CAME AND PREACHED PEACE TO YOU WHO WERE FAR AWAY , AND PEACE TO THOSE WHO WERE NEAR ; 18 for through Him we both have our access in one Spirit to the Father. 19 So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household, 20 having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Christ Jesus Himself being the corner stone, 21 in whom the whole building, being fitted together, is growing into a holy temple in the Lord, 22 in whom you also are being built together into a dwelling of God in the Spirit.

• Pterist
    Pterist

Correction Matthew 13:52

• Pterist
    Pterist

*** Another way to put it is that most Christians appear to take what is yet to be fulfilled of the old covenant prophecies, ignore that they are OLD COVENANT, and apply them in a SPIRITUALIZED manner to the NEW covenant. In a math equation, when solving the problem, if you do something to one side you have to do the same to the other. ***

Yale Un. had a lecture on the different type of OT COVENANTS and the legal requirements on BOTH parties in a covenant / contract relationship. There were some covenants that were uni-lateral, and some that were bi-lateral. Obviously, if the covenants were bi-lateral, there was a responsibility on BOTH parties to keep it, or it would become null and void. No modern day analogy is better illustrated by some unfortunate people being forthclosed on. Have you done any research on these different covenant types ? I must check out my notes and stuff !

Shalom searcher !

• nibbled
    nibbled

Tammy:

I believe the bride is the 144,000 (out of descendants of the 12 tribes of Israel) and the body is the great multitude. (The bride may also be a part of the body, especially as after marriage she and her husband become one 'flesh'.)

When I first braved the internet as a resource to seek out if anyone else was out there believing things as I do, the first 'response' to my search felt like a confirmation that I wasn't misguided to use the resource in free form search…

I came to an article "Are the Bride and Body Identical" and read the whole thing over the course of several days. It seemed to reflect my thoughts, and I found insights I hadn't yet considered. At the end I made note of the name in small print of who'd written the article. I was surprised, it was a brother who was the personal secretary to Russell and was one of the brothers imprisoned (thus constituting the "3.5 days" of death according to the Watchtower!) for the Watchtower.

http://www.concordant.org/expohtml/CorrectPartitioning/AreTheBrideAndBodyIdentical0.html

Maybe you'd be interested in reading his exposition? I haven't gone back to look at it, I read it and carried on.

As I reach out looking for information outside the scriptures (through the Internet) I am like those in Daniel who were said to "rove about" in the last days when knowledge will increase and the righteous will shine. I don't get stuck to one place, and I don't try to read all of anyone's body of work. They can come popping up again when I am searching next time.

However, finding a "witness" who was critical to the Watchtower story speaking freely online reflecting ideas that I had had on my own from the scriptures—that was so incredibly inspiring. I endeavor to do the same—find my voice and speak loud and clear, ever open minded and faithful, learning and sharing.

I don't believe in two classes. I believe in two time periods of two covenants (which are like contracts). One had an earthly hope with a few anointed chosen. The other has a heavenly hope with a few who opt out believing that heaven isn't for them thanks to what they've been taught, therefore they only "observe".

The body and bride live in the holy city New Jerusalem, which eventually descends to earth bringing the kingdom of the heaven to earth (or in it's visible vicinity, does it hang out mid-air or land? dunno!) where others can come in and out of the city.

Basically to sum up my belief, so you might respond with insight:

Old covenant = Earth hope, New covenant = Heaven hope.

(Anointed individuals of old covenant kept seeking the city which God was building for them, heavenly.)

After the new covenant people are meet Christ at his return, then there are no more new covenant people. Those who come to believe from there on out appear to be apart of the new covenant of the old covenant. It's not like Christ is gonna come back like a shuttle and pick up new people who believe and bring them up to heaven too. Meanwhile there are multiple mentions of "new" describing covenants, but those appear to not be all one and the same "THE new covenant" but rather distinct. Those of the new covenant of Christ, as opposed to the new covenant of God. Those of and in Christ won't need the blessings as described by the "new covenant" which God will make in those days, if you consider the events along a timeline. Thus my belief, which is anchored on seeing this whole big picture with all the prophecies based on what happens "after the fullness of the nations come in" and the "hardening of Israel" has been lifted.

Thoughts? Do I need to give more details? If so, please ask questions so I don't overwhelm with the wrong ones! Thanks for the discussion!!!

• nibbled
    nibbled

Good morning Pterist,

I hope everyone had a good weekend. I was busy and missed all of you whom I've enjoyed conversing with here!

I don't believe we're in the time table of Rev 20 yet at all!

No, I believe what I read—remember, just think of me as a child who hasn't yet learned to by cynical! :)

He said everyone will see him, and I believe him.

Otherwise, the emperor has no pants, you see!!?

We haven't seen him, and we haven't entered into Revelation 20 yet.

I also don't believe there are just one group of holy ones. I was conversing with my friend Larry about this just the other day. He left off so I don't know how his thinking is going, but he was sharing the "one" set idea with me, but I showed how there are simply two. One per covenant. At Rev 20:7-9 the holy ones of Christ are in heaven in the New Jerusalem. Thus these are the ones of the old covenant who are a part of the "new" covenant of THAT day, as opposed to OUR day now.

I love the list of "supposed to" items. I was a bit of a hermit for a while when I realized that I had been preaching the wrong edition of the "good news". I wanted to go read, as it were, the latest newspaper to catch up on the current good news to share with others who don't have a subscription of the newspaper, or who don't read the whole thing, or just to discuss what's going on with those who do!

I believe Ephesians 2 understanding it with the context in mind, formerly it all came down to Israel or Not Israel, circumcised or not circumcised. They were only in the covenant if they got circumcised, and if they did get circumcised, then they became a part of Israel. Breaking down the barrier wall gave access to the Most Holy to everyone through Christ's sacrifice. Both Groups into ONE. If you have 50/50 into one new whole, you can't call that whole by the name of the 50%. Lemonade and Iced Tea become an Arnold Palmer, or a new creation—lemonade-iced tea.

Fellow citizens with who? The saints (holy ones). Where? God's household… built on Christ the corner stone, foundation of apostles and prophets… this building plan is sound familiar… a dwelling of God in the Spirit?! Ah ha! Eureka! It's the New Jerusalem in heaven, the city of Hebrews 11!

Thus, I totally agree with you, with the distinction that this is the great sacred secret, not revealed until to Paul, and the basis of the good news we live in today.

Did you get to take these Yale classes? Oh there is so much I want to know about your experience! How lovely!

I don't have my own list yet of the uni/bi covenants (contracts) but I have in mind some — Abraham was uni, David's eternal throne uni, Solomon bi, Jeroboam bi, etc. Basically any that I know of that were bilateral never came to pass thanks to human perfection. Not saying I know that, just that I can't think of any besides Christ who fulfilled as a human a bi-lateral covenant to receive the promises or blessings of the contract. I guess you could say I've been and am very focused on the uni-lateral since I know that they have no conditions where my faith believes that they could fail. (Jeremiah 31:36, 33:25)

Sorry I didn't get to post my response to your post until now, I got to work mid-writing and had to leave it until now on my lunch break. Some days I don't have meetings and post as I have time. Others are like this one, where I disappear!

Thoughts?

Thanks for saying you find me interesting and refreshing, I was something more like a bee in the pants with my former forum which was highly academic and pretty set in what they thought. Its so nice and refreshing—like an Arnold Palmer!—to find you all here willing to discuss, and successfully without the random ignorant to context atheist "you're stupid" interjection! :)

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

As for the original posting... is there a clear view here what the Israel of God represents (lots of reading to get at it).

Personally, I'm considering the audience Paul was talking to, which was the congregations (plural) of Galatia. There were likely both natural Jews and Gentiles in those congregations. He was discussing how useless circumcision really was and that all in Christ were set free (apparently free from the custody of sin). I see Galatians 6:16 as an kind ending to not offend any who might be offended at what he was saying, so he first mentioned "all those who will walk orderly by this rule of conduct", but so as not to leave out any where were truly of the natural line of descent who were once under law and who were literally from the children of the free woman (Sarah), he includes them as well, the Israel of God ("of God" because it was through God's promise to Abraham, through Sarah, to Isaac and Jacob).

To be clear, though, he states in Galatians 4:28 that "we, brothers, are children belonging to the promise the same as Isaac was." In this, he was including those where were NOT of Jewish lineage. The reason I say that is because of Galatians 5:1, where he says, "For such freedom Christ set us free." Only through Christ were they set free, no longer children of slavery, regardless of their fleshly heritage. He then tells them in verse 2: "See! I, Paul, am telling YOU that if YOU become circumcised, Christ will be of no benefit to YOU." Natural Jews would have already been circumcised, so he must be including Gentiles here.

But, like I said, I personally see the inclusion of the phrase "Israel of God" to be a sort of gracious gesture so as not to offend any who read the letter who were truly natural Jews. In other words, I don't think it refers to anything special other than to include them specifially in his closing comments.

I could totally be wrong, but that's how it appears to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit