Who is the Israel of God? Used one in scripture, claimed by Christians everywhere!

by nibbled 73 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nibbled
    nibbled

The phrase “Israel of God” appears only once in the scriptures, yet it is frequently used in Christianity. Just who is the Israel of God?

As you consider these points, and before responding, will you please test your thinking to ensure first that you are speaking from a scripture only standpoint? With 20 years in the Watchtower, I know what they teach, I hope to have a discussion which is simply scriptures, rather than Watchtower style "reasoning from the scriptures". Yes, we reason from the scriptures, but I don't build my reasoning upon anything but the scriptures. Make sense?

Galatians 6:16

• “Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule, even to the Israel of God.” — New International Version
    • “May God’s peace and mercy be upon all who live by this principle; they are the new people of God.” — New Living Translation
    • “May peace come to all those who follow this standard, and mercy to the Israel of God!” — Holman Christian Standard Bible
    • “And those who agree to this path shall have peace and affection upon them and upon the Israel of God.” — Aramaic Bible in Plain English

The Amplified Bible reads, “even upon the [true] Israel of God!”

Clearly some translations depict two groups, illustrated by “to all who” and “even to Israel of God” or “all those who—and mercy to the Israel of God” or “upon them and upon the Israel of God” whereas some clearly depict one group as “the new people of God” or “true Israel of God”. While the original Greek clears up the correct rendering, as readers of English we can also rely upon the context of this verse to answer the question at hand—Who are the Israel of God?

What is the rule, principle, standard or path that is being referred to here? The preceding verses explain:

“Those who are trying to force you to be circumcised want to look good to others. They don’t want to be persecuted for teaching that the cross of Christ alone can save. And even those who advocate circumcision don’t keep the whole law themselves. They only want you to be circumcised so they can boast about it and claim you as their disciples… It doesn’t matter whether we have been circumcised or not. What counts is whether we have been transformed into a new creation.” — Galatians 6:12-15

Paul further explains regarding the path of circumcision and slavery to the law:

“Listen! I, Paul, tell you this: If you are counting on circumcision to make you right with God, then Christ will be of no benefit to you. I’ll say it again. If you are trying to find favor with God by being circumcised, you must obey every regulation in the whole law of Moses. For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.” —Galatians 5:2-4

How did Paul feel about those who were trying to convert the Christians into Jews by circumcision?

“I wish those troublemakers would castrate themselves.” — Galatians 5:12

It was thus that Paul concludes that ”May peace come to all those [uncircumcised] who follow this standard, and mercy to the [circumcised] Israel of God!”

What mercy? Paul explained to the Romans the mercy that will be shown to the people of Israel, for God’s gifts and call can never be withdrawn:

“Many of the people of Israel are now enemies of the Good News, and this benefits you Gentiles. Yet they are still the people he loves because he chose their ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. For God’s gifts and his call can never be withdrawn. Once, you Gentiles were rebels against God, but when the people of Israel rebelled against him, God was merciful to you instead. Now they are the rebels, and God’s mercy has come to you so that they, too, will sharek in God’s mercy. For God has imprisoned everyone in disobedience so he could have mercy on everyone.” — Romans 11:28-32

Do you belong to the Israel of God or the New Creation?

Christians are called to be a new creation. The Israel of God is not a new creation, they are God’s chosen people of the old covenant, and we are called by Christ as chosen people of a new covenant, a new creation where “it doesn’t matter if you are a Jew or a Gentile, circumcised or uncircumcised”. (Colossians 3:11)

As for those that teach that Christians are the “Israel of God” on the basis of this one verse taken out of context, I recall the words of Paul:

“I wish those troublemakers would castrate themselves.”

• nibbled
    nibbled

Hmmm... The house was quiet, not even a mouse would peep?

If "believers" steer clear— why not an atheist please, just judge it for merit not based on belief?

castrate!

• insearchoftruth4
    insearchoftruth4

OK Soul Sister, these are Pauls words, contrast Jesus words. Matt 5:17-20. Chap 19:16-21. Paul never met, ate, walked with Jesus. He was a Pharisee batting heads with Barnabas, Peter, James and others, why? After his conversion a vision, He went to Arabia for 3 years. What was suppose to come out of Arabia? What was he looking for?..............insoftr4

• cofty
    cofty

nibbled - I think you are mistaken.

According to Paul all christians, whether Jew or gentile are children of Abraham and Sarah through faith, therefore they are the Irael of god as opposed to the unfaithful fleshly Israel.

Understand, then, that those who have faith are children of Abraham. - Galatians 3:7

So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free,nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. Gal.3:26-29

Now you, brothers and sisters, like Isaac, are children of promise. ... Therefore, brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman, but of the free woman. - Gal.3:28,31

There is only one group in view in his salutation - The Galatans were primarily a gentile church and he greets those who follow his teachings regarding law v faith "the Israel of god".

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

"israel of God."

If a Christian organization frequently refers to its members by this term, it is a warning that it is not fully Christian but part spiritually Jewish. If that's what you want, fine. If you want pure Christianity, however, look elsewhere.

• cofty
    cofty

There is no such thing as "pure christianty" Wiz.

It began as a Jewish sect and has been splintering ever since.

• Pterist
    Pterist

*** Christians are called to be a new creation. The Israel of God is not a new creation****

At the risk of offending your great details ;), I would consider that they are one and the same !

Christ is the real Israel of God. In Christ was the old creation and the old Israel...ALL things are been made NEW in and through his resurrection, the gathering of all things in the Heavens and in the Earth....

Shalom

• nibbled
    nibbled

Yeah!!! Discussion!!! Thank you guys!!!

One at a time....

@insearchoftruth4

Christ the Messiah's words , I believe, are that he came to be the sacrifice which fulfilled the Law and Prophets prophecies of the Messiah who would come and do just that. He talks about the Commandments which are contained in the books of Law and Prophets (we know as OT). Like a video game, Christ's sacrifice finally completed the level so we, humanity, could go on to the next level in the video game. Prior to that people followed the Law with it's sacrifices, but couldn't get past the level because those sacrifices couldn't do it. After Christ fulfilled that, shortly thereafter there wasn't even a means for them to sacrifice anymore (70CE), meanwhile he reminded them that fulfilling the ritual sacrifice of the Law wasn't the same as relaxing the requirement to follow the [ten] commandments. He contrasted following the commandments against the pompous letter of the Law guys. "If you would enter into the Life, you must continually keep the commandments." Thus, we keep the 10 commandments today.

After his conversion a vision, He went to Arabia for 3 years. What was suppose to come out of Arabia? What was he looking for?

I believe he was going to the "lost sheep of the house of Israel" referred to by the Jews as "goyim", and to pick up anyone else he met along the way. Neither Jew, nor Hellene (Hellenized Jews), nor Scythian (Israelites of 10-tribes), or barbarians (those who do not know Greek or not under Roman rule)…

• nibbled
    nibbled

@cofty I whole heartedly believe "neither Jew nor Gentile" matter, that we are all, any one who wants to be, children of Abraham and Sarah.

However, if you make a family tree in Ancestry.com (I did just that) being children of Abraham and Sarah predates Israel. Israel didn't exist, and we're Abraham's children by faith, not his great grand kid's.

Each congregation was mixed, they each began collected from their gathering in the synagogues. The letter is interesting because he shifts who he speaks to in the audience distinctly, "I'm talking to you guys", "now I'm talking to you other guys". His salutation was the congregation who is the body of Christ. He was refuting Jews who were trying to convince the Christians that they needed to convert to Judaism (snip, snip!) to be a part of the covenant.

• nibbled
    nibbled
    "israel of God." If a Christian organization frequently refers to its members by this term, it is a warning that it is not fully Christian but part spiritually Jewish. If that's what you want, fine. If you want pure Christianity, however, look elsewhere.

WTWizard I agree. I'm not a part of any organization, I have a head in heaven. It's funny though because that head is a spiritual Jew by birth, and fully Christian. But he says that there is no way to get to the Father except through him, so I—finally—believe him and the other guy who said there's only one mediator, as he also said that it's not Paul or Apollos, but God that matters. I go accept the Jewish-Christian head in heaven who is the only means to get to the Father and thus, its just the three of us. :)

His Org Chart

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit