What is the most out of line / disturbing experience you have seen from Circuit Overseers?

by Poindexter Lionel Humperdique 52 Replies latest jw friends

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

jooksman - Thanks. I'm always up to confound their plans.

• Pyramid Scheme
    Pyramid Scheme

Pyramid Scheme- Your pompous ass sounds like ours, was his initials GF?

This guy was William (Bill) A.......

• scotoma
    scotoma

I have no problem with people in authority acting like assholes. Once you get over the fact that there is no holy spirit hovering over these people you shouldn't expect their behavior to be unique. Authoritarian bullys are everywhere.

• cobaltcupcake
    cobaltcupcake

Wow, some really jaw-dropping stories in this thread.

We had a CO who was like a cross between Eddie Murphy and Bill Cosby - used to grab the mike and pace around on the stage.

This same yahoo changed the seating arrangements in every cong in the circuit. First, he rearranged the chairs, even in the congs that had theater seats bolted to the floor, to a weird asymmetrical pattern with two zig-zag aisles. Then, he made it the policy that each publisher had to be seated by an attendant, filling up the front rows first, then each successive row, leaving empty chairs in the back. Didn't matter if you had an infant - if you got to the hall early you sat up front.

At the meetings for service he had each elder and MS sit in a separate row, then he invited the kids to fill up the "cars." He'd work only with the children. The rest of us slobs just made up our own car groups. After service we had to meet back at the hall and every elder or MS had to tell how many magazines their car group had placed. The MS's had to buy donuts for everyone and we'd all have a donut at noon.

To top it all off, this guy bragged about how he'd never had a full-time secular job in his life (pioneer-Bethel-CO). It was obvious, because in his talks he said toopid stuff like, "I don't understand how anyone could come to a meeting without brushing their teeth first!" or "I don't understand how anyone can come to a meeting and leave dirty dishes in the sink!"

At the time I worked at a full-time job and got home at about 6:15. We had a 7:00 meeting, so I'd usually heat up a can of soup for supper on meeting nights. My reaction to his toopid comments was, "Which is it - brush my teeth or do the dishes? I can't do both and get to the meeting on time."

His elders' meetings were legendary, often lasting until 1 a.m.

One thing he did that, in retrospect, seems fairly logical was to pile all of the extra literature and magazines on the counter and force the elders and MS's to split it up and pay for it all. I remember my ex-husband coming home from an elders' meeting with a pile of the old, old evolution books (the 192 page one from the 60s or 70s). What the fork were we going to do with those?

All of this from one arrogant, egomaniacal CO.

• Emery
    Emery

I never had anything happen to me speceifically, but my friend told me of a disturbing story he had with a CO out in field service.

Everyone had left the car for a return visit and it was just him and the CO waiting. The CO randomly starts spouting off about how masturbation seems to be a common problem for people my friend's age. Then the CO blatantly asks him if he has that problem hahaha. My friend said he didnt know how to answer that because he didnt want to lie but then didnt think it was none of his business so he said no. My friend still talks about how disturbing and embarassing it was to this day, and this happened 6-7 years ago.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Emery -

the CO blatantly asks him if he has that problem

I'd have replied: No problem. I'm quite skilled at it now!

The only thing that would cheer me up is finding out these CO's had finally got their just deserts...or is it desserts? Ah, who cares. F*ck 'em!

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

One time we had the circuit overseer and the district at the same time. i dont remember who the co was but the do was a nasty guy named Manera i think. He was the proverbial sob for meanness. we went to lunch with both guys and manera treated the waiter so bad it was embarrassing. I think he was in the habit of ordering around young men like a tyrant.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

I once sat in an elder meeting with a new-out-of-the-box CO in the late 1980s. It was with a local body of elders. The typical Friday evening event. The CO was a graduate of the then new Ministerial Training School.

One of the elders was in his 80s and during the meeting appeared to be sleeping. The CO took advantage of the man’s apparently disregard by pointing and telling the elder body that men who cannot stay awake during elder meetings are no longer qualified as elders and should be promptly removed. He then proceeded to ask for a show of hands in agreement and his was the first one up. Other elders looked at each other with stunned faces, but at a loss to disagree with the newly trained CO. One at the time a majority finally got their hands up. There were three men in the room who disagreed. Myself, another much younger elder, and the sleeper.

The CO remarked that a majority had spoken and asked if the “other two” wanted to yield to the majority as recommended by Watchtower. I suggested he should first ask whether we disagreed or were abstaining. So he asked all who disagreed to put their hands up. Upon being asked three hands went up. Mine, the younger elder and the sleeper.

Then the sleeper opened his eyes and looking straight at our new CO said, and I quote: “When you get into your 80s talk to me. In the meantime you should make less display of your youth.” He got up and walked toward the door saying he’d go along with whatever the body of elders decided. The man was not removed but was utterly disgusted with the CO, as was the CO for the sleeper having essentially sucked him in to displaying his crass disregard for a genuine “older man”.

That CO was a punk if I’ve ever known one. He had no regard for elderly folks and the infirm.

Marvin Shilmer

• rowan
    rowan

1st: MIddle aged CO obsessed with demons and teenage sex. He would hound small groups of teens after the meetings to talk about masturbation and why shy girls get pregnant first.

second: parasitic CO who would blast my family from the platform for materialism, but gladly accept the privacy of a cottage provided by my father for his visits, we would then get bills for hundreds of dollars from international telephone calls made by his wife to her family...

...same guy, in my house, within yards of my hearing (I was 14 yo), on the phone with elders from another congo, yelling out loud how they had to "kick out" this "leech" who was "poisoning the congregation". I went to school with "the leech's" daughter, so I knew all about the witch hunt that was going on.

• SeekingTheRealTruth
    SeekingTheRealTruth

At the meetings and at the assemblies the CO would have the elders block off the last 5 or 6 rows of seating so everybody would sit closer towards the stage. At one assembly there were about 40-50 people waiting to find seats while all the back rows were blocked off. I was so happy when his 3 years were over!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit