Should i go?

by MsGrowingGirl20 48 Replies latest jw friends

• MsGrowingGirl20
    MsGrowingGirl20

So, a good friend of mine, a Pentecostal Christian, invited me to go to a retreat with her church. We're the same age-19 years. We were friends before i became a Witness and she was always patient and caring with me especially throughout my arrogant spell as a Witness. I always admired her as a person. In fact, i could never believe or understand how a loving God could destroy a lovely person like her for not being a Witness. I was always jealous of her love, her faith and even her relationship with her God.

So she has invited me to come to her church's retreat. She says that there will be a lot of young people and it is a three day retreat. I told her that i will talk it over with my mom.

I feel very nervous. I want to go but i'm scared at the same time.

What do you think?

• Honesty
    Honesty

What do you have to lose if you go?

You might enjoy it and you might find out why your friend is the way she is.

• Captain Obvious
    Captain Obvious

Its a trap. Pentecostals are weeeird. Maybe at least do a little research about them before you agree to go.

We would hate to see you get sucked into another crazy ass religion.

• finally awake
    finally awake

go if you want, although I find the Pentecostal Christians to be almost as restrictive and pushy as the dubs.

• sd-7
    sd-7

Depends on what your gameplan is. If your goal is to get out of the JWs and you're not trying to be a double agent, then it could--could--be worth a try. Of course, I wouldn't trust anyone inviting me to a church retreat, but I'm paranoid of all religion these days, so don't mind me.

If you're trying to be a double agent, you have to refuse, because the risks involved with that scenario are too great, and it would probably require you to directly tell a lie if you're going to talk to your mom about it. And the best way to succeed with double agenting is to have as many scenarios that are true as possible.

--sd-7

• MsGrowingGirl20
    MsGrowingGirl20

Well, my mom is not a Witness so she wouldn't mind.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Pentecostals are another fucked up cult.

• nugget
    nugget

Personally I wouldn't but you must do what you think is right. It is very hard when you are in a retreat to back off and decline any other approaches. Also if you have come out of a high control group you need time to regroup your thoughts before exploring other religions.

Love bombing and pressure occurs in a lot of religions and whilst you are still vulnerable I would politely decline. It gives you time to look at the religion critically before putting yourself in a high pressure situation.

• JustHuman14
    JustHuman14

NO...Just another cult....

• cofty
    cofty

A Pentecostal retreat will be at the upper end of the scale of group think. You will feel huge pressure to go along with extraordinary claims of supernatural manifestations.

The emotional energy will short-circuit your critical thinking skills and you will end up either conforming or feeling profoundly out of place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit