Should i go?

by MsGrowingGirl20 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Fernando
    Fernando

Yeah, we'd love some feedback if you do go.

Maybe have an exit strategy planned if you feel out of place and want to leave early.

• Londo111
    Londo111

From the outside, many mind control groups might seem benign. Nice people with morals, singing, and so forth. There’s a difference between the outsider appearance and the insider reality, and the gradual road that leads from one to the other. If you get sucked in, it might take many years to awaken and being able to free yourself from its influence.

I’m saying this as a Christian who has your best interests at heart. Look at all these warnings on this thread: they have your best interest in mind as well. There are definitely many better options.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

I went to a Pentacostal church when I was 10 years old, and it scared the hell out of me. The preacher was screeching about fire and brimstone, and the whole congregation was crying, talking in tongues, and rolling around on the floor. Then all of the children were called up to the altar. I was crying by this point, because I thought we were probably going to serve as live sacrifices. A deacon grabbed me by the shoulders from behind and started screaming, "This child is slayed by the Holy Spirit!", and started talking in tongues in my ear. I wrenched myself away from him, turned around, and ran out of that church as fast as I could.

That happened 38 years ago, and the memories are vivid to this day. If you must get involved with your friend's religion, try a Sunday service before obligating yoursel for three days.

• extractor
    extractor

MsGrowingGirl20,

As a Christian and a church-goer, I would highly recommend against going for a number of reasons. 3 days is WAY too much for your first experience. And at an away retreat? What do you do if you find yourself very uncomfortable and need to leave? I highly doubt you are prepared for their style of worship. Unfortunately, Outlaw's funny pictures are probably not to far off the mark. There are probably many mainstream churches in your area you could try for one Sunday morning first. Look in the yellow pages for a church called "community" or "non-denominational"; probably a much safer bet. Maybe ask your friend to go with you to one of those.

Ex

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

It should be o.k. People need good friends when they are young, and sometimes I regret that I wasn't a 'Jesus freak' , at least for a while. Just take your mobile (cell) phone and money for a taxi ride home if it gets too weird, lol!

• Ding
    Ding

Do you want to go?

If you don't like it, will you have a way to leave and go home?

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Pentecostal Christian = JW's

Same s***, diffferent pile.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

don't go, they are weird!!!!

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

NOPE, thats my thoughts.

The 'happy clappers' are as annoying as JWs in many ways. just have a look at their facebooks...

A retreat is another word for membership drive. Young people who feel a bit lost are prime targets for them and what better way to nab them than to get them away from all other influences and surrounded by a whole bunch of teenage jesus freaks. Serious, have seen it first hand with one of the wifes former friends. Total transformation from normal girl to bible spouting judgemental immature twit.

The LAST thing a person exiting one religion needs is to go into another too soon. Its like rebound relationships, great for a little while but can leave you trapped with the wrong person again.

thankyou your 'friend' and say no thankyou! You are a prize catch for her and the pentecostals...A JW no less! Praise the LORD! Hallelujah! (shudder)

oz

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

In my country, they are very easy going and play a lot of music. lol....(Australia?) .....Maybe i'm just making up excuses because i really want to go but i know that you all are right.

Please take it from those older and wiser...the music is a HOOK. The 'LOVE' is a HOOK.

But...you are going to go anyway!

let us know what goes down.

oz

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit