Should i go?

by MsGrowingGirl20 48 Replies latest jw friends

• talesin
    talesin

I agree with Loz' comment.

also, this

In my country, they are very easy going and play a lot of music.

That is the public image of the Pentecostals in Canada, but keep in mind that this church is part of the Charismatic movement, many of them believing in such things as the 'Rapture'... and even Armageddon! (Recently, I had an informative coffee outing with a very nice neighbour who is a Pentecostal, and was rather shocked at the similarities to the JWs.)

xo

tal

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

I find Pentecostals to be much more entertaining than J-dubs, and not as dismal to listen to.

Go enjoy yourself there.

Here's the deal. This is a picture posted on jw.org of a meeting of Jehovah's people.

Jehovah's people

Got it? Now compare these two and ask yourself which group looks more like Jehovah's people.

Jehovah's Witnesses

Jehovah's Witnesses

Pentecostals

Pentecostals

• MsGrowingGirl20
    MsGrowingGirl20

thank you all. i really appreciate the advice. I will talk it over with mom.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I've attended an Evangelical church twice in my life the first one was a non charismatic dull quite informal , the second one was a church that happily embraced the "gifts of the spirit" which included the lunacy of tongue speaking and the falling statue , after picking myself off the floor due to the sheer madness of it all I decided this definitely isn't for me, and listen to the warnings; Evangelicals are weird and that is putting mildly.

• outsmartthesystem
    outsmartthesystem

Don't go to any church that has already existing "beliefs" that you must "adopt" in order to be "approved" by God. Don't ever let anyone think for you

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Out of the frying pan into the fire? MsGG20? Haven't you had enough of religion for a while?

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Attending another church (or organisation linked to another church) is considered as apostasy which is a disfellowshipping offence - and you would simply submit yourself to a different flavour of brainwashing...

• InterestedOne
    InterestedOne

I got involved with an evangelical group in college and they would do 3 day retreats. Here's what I experienced:

1) I loved the music & funny skits they would do.

2) I loved the warm feeling, bonding, togetherness, time to think about things, etc.

3) Here's the dark side though: they wanted to see me get "born again" or "saved" or "accept Jesus as my personal savior," etc. They are hoping you will believe as they do and will pressure you to give yourself over to it - to just let go and surrender yourself to the "holy spirit," etc. They will give you attention, talk one-on-one, use persuasive reasoning, Bible verses, and emotional appeals.

4) I gave into the pressure & became one of them. 15 years later, I regret that decision, am angry with myself for succumbing and am angry with them for creating a potent mix of pleasure and pressure to accept something one might not otherwise accept if the love-bombing and music, etc. weren't there as Aussie Oz rightly called a "hook." Some people, including myself, can be hooked by it.

Still, it sounds like you are curious, and I am a risk-taker myself, so I won't tell you not to go, but it's worth being aware that they might try to mess with your head & heart.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Love your friend.

Religion has got to go. You don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit