JJ Abrams to direct Star Wars Episode VII

by cedars 27 Replies latest jw friends

• cedars
    cedars

Simultaneously breathing life into the two biggest sci-fi franchises?

It's not possible!! (Or is it?)

luke

http://news.sky.com/story/1043186/star-wars-episode-vii-new-director-revealed

Children's Defense Fund-California 22nd Annual "Beat the Odds" Awards - Arrivals

As he boldly goes where no Director has gone before, may the force be with him!

Cedars

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

next there will be a crossover movie

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

Only if Disney buys Paramount. But you never know, I guess.

I think JJ Abrams might be better for Star Wars than he was for Star Trek. There were some things I didn't like in the new movie, but a lot I did like. Star Trek was always very cerebral, more often to the point of absurdity than I really noticed at the time. JJ Abrams maybe took it too far in the other direction for me. But Star Wars seems right up his alley.

• irondork
    irondork

I heard it said somewhere that Star Wars is rock 'n' roll, Star Trek is classical music.

I think JJ Abrams is well suited for Star Wars. He'll do it justice.

I wish someone would bring Star Trek back to "classical music". But I am of the old school.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

"and I thought polar bears smelt bad on the outside..."

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I'll be honest in saying I was never really big on Star Trek. I always preferred Star Wars. Not saying Star Trek is bad. Just not my cup of tea.

That being said, I did really enjoy the new Star Trek movie. My mom (who was a Trekkie), enjoyed it as well. When you look at the difference between the new Star Trek movie and the Star Wars prequels, it will be a breath of fresh air to not have Lucas doing anything with it.

• cedars
    cedars

MrFreeze

it will be a breath of fresh air to not have Lucas doing anything with it

Agreed, but I'll believe it when I see it. Something tells me he won't be able to resist sticking his quiff in Abram's work somewhere along the line.

Cedars

• cantleave
    cantleave

I find this quite exciting! Does that make me a sad geek?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

As long as they learn from the past, it'll be a huge success. No Jar Jar in there.

• problemaddict
    problemaddict

As an official Star Wars nerd (my sons nursery is star wars themed completed with a "the force is strong with this one" above the crib), may I weigh in and say I am not sold on this.

As much as Lucas fumbled the first 3 episodes, his input is key because like it or love it, it is his baby. You can't screw with Star Wars too much. You stick to the same directorial style that has already worked, and keep the same vibe, but you enhance the WRITING and CASTING.

I could quite possibly direct a Star Wars if those two most important factors were already handled.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit